All things "bicycle".....

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Who, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Cyclists unite! Come on in and post anything about bikes.

Off-road, on-road, track, racing, leisure, commuting, tricks... come on in!

Opinions about cyclists (even anti-cycling opinion).... come on in!

Shameless pics of your gear, or a cool find from the dumpster out back.... come on in!

[​IMG]

2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:thumb: :applause: :applause: :applause:

You just reminded me that I have to take my Mountain Bike (MTB) in for a once over, Cable check & Brake Fluid change.

Have not been riding for ages & need to get back on that MTB again............frees the mind. :)

Ventana El Terremoto (not my specific bike but I have a near identical setup, I'll post some pics of mine later): -

[​IMG]

No idea why the owner of this specific bike would have a suspension post + 6" of travel front & rear...................must have a soft ass. :shock: :laugh2:

:cheers:

4 people like this.
  3. Who

I'm so out-of-the-loop with mountain bikes in the modern world. Brake fluid? Drop-seat-posts that cost more than the bikes we had as kids..... There's some cool stuff out there.

I find mountain biking to be much too hard. It requires "skill". Road biking just requires "go and don't hit things (or get hit)". ;)

5 people like this.
  4. Meatwad

Meatwad Senior Member

I've got a mountain bike, but I hardly ever ride it - usually I just use it to commute to work or ride in crappy winter weather.
    [​IMG]
    I'm pretty much a dedicated roadie.

Riding off road to me is too much like driving in bad winter weather - always dodging stuff and riding with white knuckles.

I want to go fast on smooth pavement and just zone out.
    [​IMG]
    My 2007 Gunnar Roadie - best bike I've ever ridden.

3 people like this.
  5. Who

Meatwad, it was your bike that made me start this thread.

You mentioned the quality ride of steel.... This week I've been riding my old Lemond steel bike (as opposed to carbon fiber). It really is nice. Sure, it's about 7 pounds more than the CF bike... but it's still pretty nice.

It's been sitting around in the garage, doing bad-weather duty, and indoor trainer duty for a few years. I repainted it last week, with some PlastiDip. A new color, but it's removable down the road. Peels right off.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

You bicycle people think you're just so cool....

[​IMG]

One tire to rule them all, One tire to find them, One tire to bring them all and something something something dark side.

7 people like this.
  7. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Very cool guys. :thumb:

We have a saying................Steal is Real. :thumb:

You have several options but for a great Road Bike that will not jar the crap out of you.........Chrome Moly is a worthy candidate & cost effective (e.g. Reynolds Tubing).

Titanium or Carbon if you have the money & are chasing times and or involved in competitive riding.

My 23 year old Son just picked up his old Chrome Moly Bike (R853) after it sat idle for a few years at our Bike Mechanic...............even he wants to start riding again. :thumb:

Keep 'em coming.

:cheers:

2 people like this.
  8. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

Here's me last weekend about to start the Seattle to Portland ride.

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  9. Who

I just googled that.... 200 miles. Do you do that all in one day?

10. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

Yes. 1 long, extremely hot day! I used to live in Chehalis which is just past the half way point, so I used to ride it in 2 days and sleep at home. But since I've moved last year, I did it 1 day last year and this year.

3 people like this.
  11. Meatwad

Meatwad Senior Member

Dang - My longest ride in a day was 140 miles.

You da man!!:thumb:

12. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

I got a spot in the RAMROD (ride around Mt Rainier one day) this year. They limit it to 800 riders so you have to enter a lottery. It will be a tough ride. This year's route is 168 miles and over 10,000 feet of climbing! That jersey I'm wearing in the pic is from a century ride I've done the last 2 years in Chelan, Washington that is a 100 mile ride with 10,000 feet of climbing, including one major climb, McNeil Canyon, that is 9 miles of 10-12% grade!

2 people like this.
  13. Who

Pete, what's your gearing for something like that?

14. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

Well I just replace the entire drive train since I wore all my gears down to nubs. I have a compact chainring set in the front, 50/34 and the Ultegra 11 speed cassette in the back 11-32.

1 person likes this.
  15. sonar1

sonar1 Senior Member

30 years ago I rode my bike to work (uphill 9 miles) several days a week during the good weather, and spent days off on it: usually 100 miles, sometimes more. All over the nearby hills (Santa Cruz Mountains). Alpine gearing for sure.
    I started with a Centurian Omega with steel wheels, then built some wheels on the kitchen floor ("Gentlemen" 1" rims? No wait, they weren't Gentle men. I forget. I got about 6,000 miles out of them though for a first set of self-laced wheels).
    Then I built a Univega out of parts and had 15 speeds and a chromoly frame. Put my wheels on that. I always used a Campignola pinch bolt for the seat post so I could say I had some "Campy" parts on my bike.

Now I have a Taiwan cruiser with seven speeds and just ride by the ocean (pretty flat).

I had many fine years on my bikes.

I always looked at Reynolds 531 double butted bikes with envy but never owned one.

My present Taiwanese cruiser is aluminum. but nothing exotic about the bike at all. It's just an old man's bike. I paid $200 for it used.

[​IMG]

When the foam all disintegrated out of my old "Skid Lid" helmet a few years ago I replaced it with a Bell bicycle helmet, but it's not as comfortable as my old SkidLid.

2 people like this.
  16. KTM

KTM Senior Member

That's a great photo. :thumb:

Back in 1986 when my wife and I got married we bought a set of Raliegh "Marathon" sport touring bikes. Other than being very dusty from hanging in the garage for decades, they are still in great condition. I had to quit riding in the late 1990's due to carpel tunnel syndrome. I had the surgery on both hands/wrists so most of the symptoms are gone, however I can't ride a bike for more than a few miles before my hands start to go numb. I've tried sorbothane riding gloves which helped only slightly. I really want to get back into biking and have been thinking that perhaps a mountain bike with a suspension might help. I would be riding mostly on paved rural back roads which are rather bumpy and is the main reason my hands go numb. Any thoughts or suggestions?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  17. Who

My initial suggestion would be to position the wheels below the handlebars/seat. Your pics make me think you don't understand cycling basics....... wait.... They are HANGING upside down..... never mind. :laugh2:

Seriously, though, I know nothing of carpel-tunnel, but I do know some things about too much padding. Those bars look like they have the old Grab-On style foam padding. More padding seems like it should be cushier, but it's not.

Your hands instinctively grip a bit more firmly, to compress the foam and get the feedback the brain wants. Strange, but I've found it to be true.

In your case, I'd experiment with getting rid of drop-handlebars, and going with old-school swept-back handlebars, and hard rubber grips. The angle and height might be all you need to change.

How are you with other similar tasks? Law mower, driving a car, etc?

[​IMG]

What about flat bars or swept-back with oversized grips. The grip diameter may put your hands in a position that gives relief.

[​IMG]

As a final option, trade the bike in on one like NRBQ posted!

2 people like this.
  18. sonar1

sonar1 Senior Member

I had CTS to relieve symptoms too.

Maybe a nerve conduction test will help.

I don't ride in hooks anymore (nor motorcycles), but as you can see my bike is set up MUCH differently than bikes I rode in the past.

This upright setup keeps me at it, at age 64. I wouldn't even consider a bike with hooks anymore. Fun while it lasted, but my joints and bones hurt more than my muscles any more.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

I can still 360 this bastard.......although my shins split like a frozen bag of shit when those pedals slip.

[​IMG]

Back to boyhood project.

[​IMG]

40 pounds 90's of fury.....

[​IMG]

19 pounds of new school scooter bike.....

[​IMG]

My favorite bike of all time.

[​IMG]

jcsk8, NHTom, monsterwalley and 10 others like this.
  20. KTM

KTM Senior Member

I can use a chainsaw and a log splitter for hours (I heat with wood), a push mower (though I rarely use one), a rotary tiller, a garden tractor with a mower deck is what I mow with as my lawn is around 2 acres in size, and I can drive a car for hours, all with no issues. A string trimmer is hard on me though and will cause numb hands but that could be because the cheap Homelite that I have vibrates like crazy.

Yes the handle bars have a foam grip/padding, same stuff is on my rotary tiller. Back when I was riding I found the most comfortable position was to have my hands resting on top of the bars where they curve forward with not much gripping of the bars. So you could be on to something with the suggestion of the older swept back style bars. I still had issues with my hands going numb so I don't think it was a case of gripping too tightly. I will have to do some experimenting. I had it out for a short ride, only about a mile, a week or so ago. I will have to go on a longer ride and take note of how I grip. Who knows perhaps a decade of not riding may have healed my wrists/hands. :hmm: Thanks for the suggestions. Well, except the final one. :laugh2: No way am I going near a unicycle! :shock:

1 person likes this.