All 8 Fulltone OCD's compared

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by tzd, Sep 7, 2017.

1. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Came across this new video. Pretty huge differences between some of them!

penguinchit likes this.
  2. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

It was good to hear the differences. I don't remember what version I have...Now I have to go home and check.

tzd likes this.
  3. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Very interesting video. One of the best OD pedals of all time, a modern classic for sure. Indeed, I agree that there were not-subtle-at-all differences between the different versions. That been said, I never came across an OCD pedal that I didn't enjoy.

Also interesting that my opinion is very different from the one of the guy on the video. The v1.1 was one of the worst sounding, while I enjoyed v.1.4, v.1.6, v1.7 and version 2 the most. In fact, I do believe that v.2 is the best sounding of them all and they seem to have finally come across of something that combines the very best sonic qualities of all the past versions.

Another remark that I have to do, and it's something that we don't mention as often as we should: even the best OD pedal in the world cannot make a bad sounding guitar to sound good. There were a couple of them in the video (like that semi-hollow one) that is in desperate need of a new set of pickups. It sounded muddy & undefined without the pedal, it sounded muddy & undefined with either version of the OCD. Priorities, folks!

Rhust and dickjonesify like this.
  4. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

I liked 1.1, 1.4 and 1.6 - probably favoured version 1.1

V2 seemed more high gain which is the vogue these days but i didn't like it so much

dickjonesify likes this.
  5. 60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI

60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI Senior Member

I've always liked version 1.3 the best, that is until the latest version 2.0. It has everything I loved about 1.3, but sounds a lot better to me. The controls seems to be more interactive, damn fine pedal!

6. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I liked the 2.0 and 1.7 that I've used... but I will say, the 2.0 didn't play as nicely with my 6505 as an EHX glove did... the bass became flubby and couldn't be tuned out, without making it become thin... it just felt "looser" for some reason.

I'm a believer that it wasn't the pedal's fault in this case... it just wasn't a piece that fit for me, in my rig... to my ears, the EHX glove worked better, for what I do... it is less bassy, and just pushes the amp nicer... my experience would be different in a different amp. I have no doubt.

7. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Any guesses on when we get version 2.2? :p

I currently have 2.0, and it's great - though it does have a ton of gain on tap, much of which I don't use. I owned 1.4 and 1.7 previously, and enjoyed them both even though they were quite different. With a gun to my head, I'd have to say 1.4 was my favorite of the three. But all worth running.

8. Fuggle

Fuggle Member

I thought fer sure mine was a v1.4, but I opened it up to discover 1.7. Huh.

MUSTANGCAT and freak like this.
  9. freak

freak Senior Member

Funny.
    Me to.

MUSTANGCAT and Fuggle like this.
  10. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Banned

I also have a 1.7 and from what I had read on some guitar forum the 1.7 was suppose to be like the 1.4. I don't know if that is true. The paperwork which came with mine says it was the 1.4 but inside it says 1.7. I'm a fan of Fulltone products. The OCD is the only one I have however.

freak and Fuggle like this.
  11. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Banned

From what I heard on this demo I like 1.1, 1.4 and the 2.0 sounds pretty cool as well. All of them seem to come up with some good dirt. The 1.7 had its' moments on here also. Depending on gear the tone on these will vary as we all know.

12. 60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI

60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI Senior Member

I just started using the latest version (2.0) at 18v. I like it even more now, just a great pedal.

13. freak

freak Senior Member

get the clyde deluxe wah. fantastic.

14. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Ive a bersion 1.4 and after having... issues with the builder, i want to replace it (im sentimental). But i cant... it sounds so damn good, i am itching for Rambles new distortion box avial next year.

Back to OCD, my version 1.4 has different pots than the others ive seen, seems to be a make up of the early version on a 1.4 board... just to confuse the situation more :D

Great rock tones whatever the case, very different from the new models thats for sure