Al Romano Mad at Gibson (Ace Frehley Burst)

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by cherryburst59, Oct 10, 2017.

1. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Bingo. Nobody seems quite to focus on that as hard as they should.

2. theanchorman211

theanchorman211 Junior Member

To anyone who has played both the signed/aged & VOS models of this Ace 59 Burst - are the necks size & feel similar across both versions (& I realize the aged will obviously feel more worn in)?

3. kingmidas3

kingmidas3 Member

Agreed! The INSTANT I saw the ad for the Frehley it was like Pavlog's Dog - I was on a mission to get one. I think I saw your Perry #5 for sale once at Dave's Guitars.

4. kingmidas3

kingmidas3 Member

Agreed. Despite the fact that the scan issue didn't have any relevance in my purchase, it doesn't minimize Al's perspective on how the deal went down - or rather didn't go down. If I were in his shoes, I'd be vocally upset had the same thing happened to me. I've been in situations where I contributed significantly in the development of a successful product yet to be cast aside from a compensation agreement once the rubber hit the road. Al is a monster player (check out his You Tube videos demonstrating Leslie West's tome - he's paid his dues in becoming a top flight musician) and it's his right to tell his side of the story. And also to ask whatever he wants for the original - it is advertised at $2.75M presently on a high end luxury goods website. Tone, playability and feel are subjective - what's important is what inspires you to play and enjoy guitars.[/QUOTE]

5. BBD

BBD Senior Member

I'm not in any way affiliated with Gibson so have no bias in this discussion, but Al (IMO) needs to moderate his language. He can tell his side of the story without veering into what are, on the face of it, libelous statements.

JimmyAce2006 and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  6. kingmidas3

kingmidas3 Member

Understood. Tact is the art of getting one's point across without making an enemy. I've not always used it in my life either.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  7. dyrhee

dyrhee Senior Member

JimmyAce owns both, or at least owned both at one time, he's someone that could answer this question.

8. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

Used to own both! LOL I sold the glossy one. Same neck on both. Normal variations from one to the next based on final sanding.

9. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

He can ask for whatever money he wants for his guitar. If I were him, I'd just go full 10 million just because sky is the limit. But if he ever wants to actually sell it for money as opposed to bragging about owning the best burst of them all, he'll have to face cold harsh reality and find that its real value is nowhere close to that.

jdto and Nippon like this.
  10. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Most valuable burst?

Lol

Jimmy page called.

He says fuck off :laugh2:

11. zamdrang

zamdrang Member

Interesting story... but saying: "....Gibson. They totally played the public." as if its some kind of news??

Its a profiit driven corporation like any other, their entire business model is based on hype, that's what they do. No surprise here.

12. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

And conversely, had they shunted more money Al's way he'd be all quiet too.

It appears that he's whining because he made an agreement and then at some point decided that the agreement no longer suited him, and was unable to unilaterally change it.

I have no direct knowledge of the deal, but logically that seems to be the only story. Guy makes deal, changes his mind, throws toys out of the pram, dad still says no.

zamdrang likes this.
  13. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

..........pretty cheesy ending to an agreement. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

:cheers2: