Al Romano Mad at Gibson (Ace Frehley Burst)

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by cherryburst59, Oct 10, 2017.

1. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Jeepers..

Someone open a window RAG's cuttin the cheese.

[​IMG]

RAG7890 and mudface like this.
  2. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

It isn't a CC, it is an artist model.

Mockbel likes this.
  3. JimmyAce2006

They scanned it. Nate has seen photos of it in the digital scanner.

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  4. JimmyAce2006

The neck on the Frehley 59 is different from any other R9 I have owned. And with the rolled neck / binding, even better.

jco.1 and freebyrd 69 like this.
  5. JimmyAce2006

In order to make the claims that it was digitally copied from the original, they DO need to borrow the guitar. The digital part helps sell the guitar.

6. JimmyAce2006

It isn't just visual. They also copy the neck shape and pickup output. Both of those items help to recreate the tone of the original guitar.

7. JimmyAce2006

I have a quote from Al and a video to back it up, where he played signed #20 Frehley 59 where he said that the neck felt like his and sounded like his. Enough said. LOL

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  8. JimmyAce2006

The press release does say the guitar was replicated through a hands-on study of the original and that both Al and Ace collaborated throughout the development and they authenticated the results. And it says Gibson has a fanatical attention to detail in replicating it. And it says the pickups were custom wound to match the originals.

9. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

I played one of these, it was decent and if i didn't already have a CC24 I probably would have bought it. To me the biggest detractor (again for me) was the chevron stripe top. I just hate those kinda of patterns, but the one I played was subdued, which reinforces the aspect that no tops will ever make a 'replica' of the original sans a photo flame finish. No CC, artist run or anything has ever been an 'exact' replica, even on ones which we know Gibson digitally scanned the necks of or top carves etc...Anyone who goes into one of these runs thinking they are getting an exact 1:1 replica is doing it very wrong...yeah you'll get a great sounding and playing (subjective to person) guitar all the while 'celebrating' the original. Shit honestly one of these artist runs which I felt truly captured the essence of the original was the 08 slash plaintop. It felt like a late 80's standard and I had a few pass thru my hands. The one artist run I really do wonder how close to the real deal, is the Page #1 aged. Is that neck really like that on Jimmy's....we'll never know.

10. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

He's played every guitar, he knows where to find me.

freebyrd 69 and Mockbel like this.
  11. bluesondoor

bluesondoor Senior Member

He can say his is worth 2 million but it's only worth that when someone buys it for that much.

12. kingmidas3

kingmidas3 Member

Here's the deal: I own an Aged and Signed Ace Frehley 1959 Model (#5) and am very pleased with the guitar. Am I living a fantasy with it - you bet. The instant that I saw Gibson announce it on their Facebook page I started calling dealers all over the country and was lucky enough to put a deposit down with Music Zoo on one of the two that they had allocated. Why? Ace influenced me to pick up the guitar in the late '70's and I distinctly remember reading an article where he said that his most treasured guitar was a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard - it sent a benchmark in my mind that has never left. I'm not going to buy a real burst anytime soon so I see value in owning something close at a fraction of the price. And the guitar in and of itself absolutely smokes anything else that I've played. Gibson got this one right from a feel, tone and playability standpoint.

Sue Gibson? Are you kidding me? I have received my money's worth. (this does not minimize Al's side of the story, however). Let's see spend $2M (purported value of the original - the guitar IS for sale right now for $2.75M) or $13k and get something that's an accessible luxury. Didn't buy this for utility value alone - I also bought a ticket back to my youth and am enjoying the sentimental value of owning a killer reproduction. Only 50 of these globally. Supply/Demand is strong and I seldom ever see one come up for sale as the people that own them seem to be holding onto them.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    xxjagerxx, bluesondoor, Heppe and 2 others like this.
  13. Nippon

Nippon Insert Kanji here... Premium Member

Lets just put the 2 million BS, aside. The only one who thinks it is worth that much is the guy that currently owns it.

mudface and RAG7890 like this.
  14. kingmidas3

kingmidas3 Member

Which is why I qualified the $2M with "purported value" Even so, Rumbleseat Music has a real '59 for sale at $395k - I paid $13k for my Frehley which is 3.2% of the price of a real one. Sure, $13k is more than a non signed, non aged '59 reissue, I get it. I paid a premium for the whole "Frehley ticket" to own something close to what my teenage idol played, no different than how much $ other artists have influenced many thousands of guitarists to pick up Telecasters, Strats, Les Pauls, 335's and Rickenbackers so that they could do the same thing. (Nippon, look at your signature associating artists with the models that they played as evidence of this in action). Value is subjective anyway - becomes concrete once $ changes hands. Transportation versus owning a Ferrari or Bentley - so many alternatives to get to different places musically.

15. kingmidas3

kingmidas3 Member

I just A/B'd my Frehley against a '94 reissue, a '13 Historic and an '11 '57 Triple pickup Custom and there is no question that this one is the top choice for vintage tone. The '13 has under-wound pickups and it sounded bright, punchy and loud. The Ace sounds organic, warm and seasoned. The '13 has a neck that was modeled after Dave Roger's '59, which is a great shape however the Ace feels vintage with rolled binding. I grew up close to Ed Seelig, a big time burst dealer that sold dozens of them since the early '70s and I know what a vintage burst playing experience is like. Get what inspires you to play! Ace stated that the original did just that for him. Mine has a crazy flame top (I posted pics in an earlier forum posting when I got it) - it has the "it" factor going for it big time. We had one here locally that sold in 24 hours to another buyer yesterday. Given that there are only 50 of the aged and signed ones and that 22 of those were shipped abroad, grab these when you can - they are exceptional guitars! I knew it the instant that I picked it up. Gibson worked hard on this model to make it a great guitar. Sorry that there were disappointments along the way between the parties however the guitar itself is a success in my book. The ad that caught my eye made zero claims whatsoever about a "scan" or "exact replica" - I bought an Ace influenced vintage Les Paul reissue - that's close enough for me. I did not get robbed - I paid for and got what I expected from the guitar and Gibson (and am pleased that I was able to obtain one with so much going for it). Also the Custom Shop is NOT "out of business" - I just took delivery of a Frost Blue '63 VOS 335 from their Made to Measure program. And they nailed it again!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    jco.1 and JimmyAce2006 like this.
  16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Just out of curiosity sake have you played a good ‘59 Burst through the same Amp you tested the others through?

:cheers2:

17. kingmidas3

kingmidas3 Member

RAG, yes I have a vintage tweed Fender Harvard that I have used for years.

18. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

This is a fact. Any guitar is only 'worth' what someone else is willing to pay for it. You can say that any guitar has zero value until it is purchased. Only then is true value revealed.

19. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

glad you're enjoying it and playing it. players and people like you are really what some of these runs are really out to capture. I had signed/aged #5 of the Perry burst, and Perry was the one who got me to pick up a guitar, but I ended up selling that one and moving onto other things. Biggest thing with me was I just don't like tobacco bursts that much but they did for sure capture the essence and vibe of the original. I really lucked out on that one as it had a very very close top grain to the real deal.

20. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

Anything related to KISS is a money grab.