Al Romano Mad at Gibson (Ace Frehley Burst)

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by cherryburst59, Oct 10, 2017.

1. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

there are three sides to every story....yours, theirs and the truth....

-John Sheridan

Donal likes this.
  2. BBD

BBD Senior Member

What is truth?

- Ponitus Pilate

:laugh2:

Donal, jcsk8 and mdubya like this.
  3. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say Gibson's lawyers have this issue sorted . . .
    This guy needs to let it go.
    He is going to end up like Truman Capote did writing In Cold Blood. Not good . . . :Ohno:

4. KenG

KenG Senior Member

What an ahole. Sorry but the "rights" to duplicate a guitar that was originally made by the same company duplicating should not be in question. Gibson should legally be able recreate any guitar they built originally without paying anyone one dime. All they should pay for is any fees demanded for access to the original if wanted or needed by its current owner. However they certainly don't have to use the original and scan it. Look at the Micheal Bloomfield and Beano, no one had access to either and both were created based on peoples memories. Why suddenly is this an issue with Aces old LP.?

Andy California and yeti like this.
  5. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

Not sure why Al is taking so many potshots at Ace in his rant.

If Gibson did not use the scans of the real '59 then that is a big deal and needs to be followed up, especially if they are saying its based on the guitar that Al owns.

But IMO its not up to Ace to give Al money. Gibson should have paid Ace and Al each individually for their contributions to this guitar. Al for providing the original guitar to be scanned and Ace for his name and marketing.

And its not true that Ace has sold all the guitars that Gibson gave him. Ace has been using his '59 burst copies extensively for the past year or so. In fact his '59 copies have replaced his Budokans as his main stage guitars.

[​IMG]

6. yeti

yeti Senior Member

THIS is all there's to it. Agreed 100%. Not sure the law sees it that way but it should. Gibson can't use the names of famous owners w/o permission but the guys in the market for these guitars will recognize them anyway, so why even bother with asking for owner's consent?

7. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

There was a lot of misinformation in Al's post. Ace got 11 guitars, not 7. And 8 of them were artist proofs, one was serial #1 from the run of 50 signed, one was serial #1 VOS (glossy), but I do not know what the last guitar is. It could be another VOS or it could be another signed (unlikely), or it could be a prototype. And to my knowledge, Ace has only sold about 3 or 4 of the 11. And to my knowledge, only one went for more than 25K; the others were between 15K-17K. So as you can see, he was making stuff up.

freebyrd 69 and alnico59 like this.
  8. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

Well, for one, Gibson needs to borrow the guitars in order to digitally measure the neck shape, get the right pickup output, and match the color correctly. It also helps sales if they can point to a specific collector who is well known.

alnico59 likes this.
  9. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

That photo was taken by Charlie Daughtry, white he, Al, and the guitar were AT the custom shop.

Here's the original (or a very close outtake)
    [​IMG]

RAG7890, freebyrd 69 and alnico59 like this.
  10. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

I would have said Lucy (or, of course, Beano).

11. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I thought we would hear from ACE on this??:iough:

12. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Interesting thread... I am not 100% trusting the guy but he has a point.. How did Gibson make this CC guitar without even seeing the guitar in real !

rogue3 likes this.
  13. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

Greed. It´s sad to see someone, that is propably wealth, crying for some pennies. That´s disgusting.

14. Truth011

Truth011 Senior Member

It has become obvious that there is more to this story than we're
    ever going to know. Regardless of how Gibson came to make this
    run of guitars it is undeniably one of the best in terms of looks, playability and tone. I'll bet the guys who own one of these don't feel cheated.:cheers:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    JimmyAce2006 likes this.
  15. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

This is the root of the entire issue.

Henry's greed wanting to sell a guitar that costs maybe $2k to build, but he can find suckers to buy at outrageous markup based on claiming its somehow the same as a guitar (imbued with mystical properties) built decades earlier (all based on the memories of someone that hasn't touched the mystical guitar in 30 years).

Ace's Greed in wanting to cash in on the myth of a mystical guitar he pawned 30 years ago.

Some asshat's greed in wanting to cash in on having bought Ace's pawned mystical guitar 28 years ago attempting to extort Gibson by claiming the new guitars are not mystical enough and that the suckers are being ripped off of their Ace Frehley '59 premium since the new guitars are not a 3D printing of the mystical one he owns.

16. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

Exactly!

17. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

You actually think Ace would let something slip by without getting paid for it. LOL Good one!

"Based on the guitar that Al owns" doesn't mean, say, or imply that they scanned the original.

18. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

Sorry but I just laughed at you.

Which one of my guitars do you think plays the best?

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  19. Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer Senior Member

It kinda does imply just that. When they site the actual guitar as opposed to just saying that it's based on one of Ace's guitars, it leads one to believe that they examined the guitar and recreated it as best they could.
    I'm pretty sure that this wording has the potential to sell more guitars than if they said "...based on the drug addled 30 year old memory of the former rock star"
    The ad is misleading to say the least.

20. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

You might get an answer if you post this to Al Ramano's Facebook page.

rabidhamster and jdto like this.