Aging pickup covers

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by FLICKOFLASH, Jul 18, 2007.

1. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

Got a pair of Seth Lover covers ,Though i have a good idea on how to age them I want all the options as it is a one shot deal :hippie:

2. Markster

Markster V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

If the covers are not on the pickups, you can suspend them over some hydrochloric acid.(Make sure you do this to the covers only. Let the fumes do the work.) Do this in a well ventilated area and keep your eye on them. (Stuff works quick.)

Some people have damped a towel with a little vinegar and wipe them. Be sure to clean off the covers with a towel damped with water after the desired effect.

3. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

I was aware of the acid , does anyone use steel wool or micromesh & what about string vibration wear ,any tricks ?

4. Mr Bones

Mr Bones V.I.P. Member

flick, i use muratic acid, and once the fumes have built up a mist on the cover i take them out of the tupperware and leave over night. for the string lines i wipe off the lines right after they come out. on most worn covers ive seen and had, under the strings were not as worn rather than the other way around.

5. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

There are a few good methods, some of which are trade secrets really. However, look at some real covers and try to figure how all those scratches happened and how you can reecreate them. Then notice that some of the nickel is worn through and some is just devoid of any shine. Not all covers seem to show string lines. These are the ones that have generally gone past that stage.