After much frustration, finally had a great practice with the Amplifire

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by LPV, Jul 3, 2017.

1. LPV

LPV Senior Member

I've posted about my frustration at not being able to get a tone and volume level that I was happy with with the AF. Well yesterday I had a thought. The AF can be configured so that the send acts as a dry DI out when using aux in. So I went aux xlr out (full modelling w/IRs) into the Alto and dry DI out into my amp set for a medium gain. Essentially I was using a wet/dry rig. This sounded really good and the tube amp gave me all the oomph I wanted/needed and wasn't getting from the Alto. Live I'll go direct from the aux with IRs and mic the amp so the 2 feeds can be mixed at the board. I can even keep my little 3db solo boost in there. Not pure modelling but if any of you are having a hard time like I was, try this hybrid set up. Its really cool. The band liked it too.

2. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Just for the heck of it, I may give that a try, since my tube amps are sitting right next to the Helix and all it would take is a cable and a couple of settings. But it will be purely for science, since there's no way I'm dragging the helix, DXR12, tube amp and cab to a gig. I don't care how good it sounds to me.