After just putting it back on my pedalborad, I kicked my RAT off...

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Ginger Beer, May 23, 2016.

1. Ginger Beer

Ginger Beer Senior Member

I have a mostly love but a little hate for my RAT 2 pedal. I love what it does but it has always left me a little frustrated but I could never find anything to replace it with....until now....

Enter...Little Bear R.Attack RT-2

[​IMG]It out-rated my rat. Why?

#1) The Filter - My Proco's filter was always really touchy. It could go from a can of bees to a wet blanket with just the smallest amount of movement. I would find myself keeping it somewhere between 1:30 and 3:00 depending on the day and going anywhere outside of that range would result in a horrible tone. Especially on the high end side of the range.
    The R.Attack's filter is usable for far more of it's range without ever getting into the extremes. It never gets shrill or paper thin while still retaining it's bite.

#2) The Sound - The R.Attack's sound is fuller and rounder in general over the Proco rats sound while still sounding like a RAT. Honestly, it was my friends 80's rat that got me into the rat sound but my Rat 2 never quite lived up to what I remember. The first time I plugged in the R.Attack, it had the sound I loved. Raspy, grindy yet meaty.

#3) The Versatility - The R.Attack is three Rat's in one. It's a You Dirty Rat, Turbo Rat and "Vintage" Rat all in one.
    The Dirty Rat is odd in that it has less volume and grind than the other modes. The Turbo and Vintage, on the other hand, sound more similar to one another with the Turbo mode adding a midrange hump. Both of these modes sound fantastic. Additionally, these modes seem to offer more gain than the Proco at a cost of slightly less range. They get close to their full "normal" range around 12-1 O'clock. After that it starts to move into distortion / fuzz zone.

#4) Construction - The build is top notch. Solid pots and decent switch. Definitely not junk at all.

Overall this pedal sounds like what I think of when I think of the RAT. My last RAT pedal is now on my small board and, if I pick up another R.Attack, it will be in the drawer.

5 people like this.
  2. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

I can not count the number of times, I have pulled my rat pedal off my board and then placed on another pedal to only after a few months put my rat back on. I ran a keeley modded rat until I finally bought a VFE alpha dog. The Alpha Dog is perfect for me. Rats are just great pedals and amazing once you get an excellently made one. Enjoy.

2 people like this.
  3. Ginger Beer

Same here. Rat off / rat back on...rinse, repeat.

Finally I can say rat off/ r.attack on!

4. Syrus

Syrus Senior Member

I had an older RAT 2 (rusty cracked metal POS) which was great, got a Rattack (which made me sell the R2) and after I while I got a R2 again, but what a difference. Nothing like the previous one I had.
    Could be a different revision or what gives.

Both didn't have the Motorola LM308 but the Texas Instruments OP07DP.
    Why do I say this?
    Because of the Slew Rate. The LM308 is a 'bad' chip (close to 40x slower than the TI chip), but it sounds good in this circuit, as in the slow Slew Rate = dynamically rolled of highs, hence smoother gain.

The Rattack has a certain issue for me with the gain, it doesn't really go smoothly. It is sensitive in the first 50% but after that it's 50 or 100% to notice a real change from the typical gainish od/distortion to mushy fuzz.
    Other than that the clipping selector goes from Vintage (germanium) to You Dirty Rat (silicon) to Turbo Rat (LED). Ge diodes require the least amount of V, followed by Si who require a tad more and red LED's who require a lot of V to clip (hence loud volume bump) Red being the easiest to clip for the various colour LED's.

5. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

My Rat nirvana is a Deucetone rat fitted with a pair off Texas Instruments OP07D. I’ve read many a post lamenting that the OP07D doesn’t sound as good as the LM308. Well, I don’t care. The Deucetone is an awesomely rich sounding pedal that jumps out of the speaker. It is without a shadow of a doubt my favourite distortion (in comparison to the 50 or so OD/Distortion/Fuzz pedals I have). It does OD to fuzz and everything inbetween. It is a very tight sounding pedal with a low noise floor.

I also have an early model VFE Alpha Dog fitted with an LM308. It is a lot woollier and not as defined as the Deucetone but is still very useable and versatile.

6. Ginger Beer

I still have a Proco Rat on my little board so I did a quick A/B.

I find the filter control far more useable in the R.Attack. The gain is touchier but it provides a more "rounded" tone while still sounding like a Rat. I started to notice this little annoying frequency in the high end that the Rat produced that the R.Attack didn't.

The various modes are also a bonus.

If I had another R.attack, the Rat would be gone from my little board too.

7. switchback

switchback Senior Member

I am in the same boat Rat on/Rat off, I introduce you to the FAT Rat seems to have corrected all the reasons we are on and off with it. Check it out on sweetwater..... looks promising!

1 person likes this.
  8. Ginger Beer

Just curious...what were your issues with the RAT?

I loved the basic sound but the filter control was touchy going from an unusable amount of treble to an unusable lack treble with just a small twist.

There was also a weird high frequency sound that I couldn't dial out without totally killing my treble. The R.Attack's usable frequency sweep is wider without going to the extremes and it just has a meatier sound all around (with no strange HF noise).

9. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Hi Ginger,

Along with the issues you have as do I, there was this spot where it sounded really spongy and lose to me. I wanted it to be tighter in the bottom end. So I tries stacking it with pedals to correct that but then had way to much distortion signal. After fussing with it off it went! I do like the one you have now, I also wanted to give the Fat Rat a try.

1 person likes this.
  10. VicodinDream

VicodinDream Senior Member

I still have my You Dirty RAT on my board. I just can't change it out with something better. I am considering a Catalinbread Katzenkoning. Anyone play with one of those yet?

11. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I have one of these rat attacks... Fing great pedal, I don't care how boutique your pedalboard is, if you like the rat, you'll love this guy!

I'm not using mine right now, because I just don't need a lot of dirt on top of a 6505!

1 person likes this.
  12. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Senior Member

I got a Rat2 in 2007 with the TI opamp. It sounds great through most of my amps. It sounds outstanding through my JTM1H. I took out the TI opamp and soldered in a socket. I'm now running an LM308N opamp. It sounds pretty nice as well. I can change it back to the TI opamp with very little effort now, if and when I please. The Fat Rat comes with a socket in it as well with a couple of other added controls. I've wondered what a JRC4558D would sound like in a Rat2.