After 30 years on Death Row, freed and found innocent.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by geochem1st, Mar 13, 2014.

1. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

"According to the Capital Post Conviction Project of Louisiana, a judge ordered that Ford be freed Monday after prosecutors petitioned the court to release him.

New information corroborated what Ford had said all along: that he was not present at nor involved in the November 5, 1983, slaying of Isadore Rozeman, the project said.

"We are very pleased to see Glenn Ford finally exonerated, and we are particularly grateful that the prosecution and the court moved ahead so decisively to set Mr. Ford free," said Gary Clements and Aaron Novod, Ford's attorneys.

They have argued his trial was compromised by the unconstitutional suppression of evidence and by inexperienced counsel.

Ford had been on death row since 1984, making him one of the longest-serving death row prisoners in the United States.

"After 30 years, Louisiana's longest-serving death row prisoner will get his freedom soon," Amnesty International USA senior campaigner Thenjiwe Tameika McHarris said in a statement shortly before his release.

"Glenn Ford is living proof of just how flawed our justice system truly is.
    Glenn Ford, on death row in Louisiana for 30 years, walks free - CNN.com

2. Gin&Pentatonic

Gin&Pentatonic Senior Member

I have no idea how much information about the outside world is made available to death row inmates, but I assume it's not much. This guy is going to feel like he just woke up in a sci-fi movie.....the internet, smart phones, cars that tell you where you to go, 3D television. I imagine it has to be equal parts exciting and terrifying.

6 people like this.
  3. bertzie

bertzie Senior Member

How is it they didn't execute him in those 30 years?

4. Roberteaux

Roberteaux Alien Hominid V.I.P. Member

Actually, it's not uncommon for people to persist on death row for that long a time. I know one guy who has been on condemned row in San Quentin since 1986... two guys I brought to Florida's death row earlier than that are still alive, if not necessarily well.

The short answer to your question is: appeals. There are attorneys out there who are against the death penalty and are willing to appeal as a pro bono concession to their trade.

--R

7 people like this.
  5. realjimjim

realjimjim Senior Member

Aren't you glad they didn't?

2 people like this.
  6. bertzie

bertzie Senior Member

I suspect he's far more glad about it than I am. I'm just curious.

1 person likes this.
  7. SixAngryStrings

SixAngryStrings SeƱor Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. realjimjim

realjimjim Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoQiUBEcAAc]Peter Sellers (Being There, 1979) - YouTube[/ame]

9. realjimjim

realjimjim Senior Member

yeah, I'm curious about that too.

2 people like this.
  10. parts

parts Senior Member

..in Angola..where de give a convict a gun to watch anuuder one...

11. Roberteaux

If you mean the specific grounds for the appeal that caused the court to reverse his conviction, the article put it in a nutshell, saying:

Reading the same account in the New Orleans newspapers, the back story emerges. As is often the case in New Orleans we find a combination of prosecutorial misconduct, an indifferent and ineffective public defender's office, witnesses that later admitted to lying, cops who did a really sloppy job of investigating, and a trial judge who appears to have been out to lunch on something while otherwise presiding over the court proceedings.

What was really crazy was that the Louisiana Supreme Court actually upheld the conviction, while also castigating the court officers for what was quite obviously some sort of botch!

That's what's scariest of all, too...

--R

11 people like this.
  12. realjimjim

realjimjim Senior Member

So an ongoing appeal ran for 30 years and kept him out of the chair?

1 person likes this.
  13. bertzie

bertzie Senior Member

I'm more curious as to why, during those 30 years, he wasn't executed. After however many previous failed appeals, they just kept him around.

1 person likes this.
  14. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

4 people like this.
  15. Roberteaux

More like a series of strong appeals... otherwise they would have spiked him quite some time ago. But Louisiana never even set an execution date, because the instant one appeal failed, his attorneys filed yet another one with the the 5th District Court. Finally, he prevailed.

--R

1 person likes this.
  16. realjimjim

realjimjim Senior Member

R, post a link where you are getting this info please. I'm curious.

17. Roberteaux

If what you are looking for is a history of the appellate processes of Mr. Ford, I don't think I'm gonna be able to hand you one link that will list all of those activities-- yet. Pretty soon such a article is bound to be posted on a site such as caselaw.findlaw.com. If you're interested in plowing through such docs, that site is right up your alley. However, it's a bit early for them to have put up anything about Glenn Ford...

Other than that, have been reading the nola news regularly for years, and this guy has been in and back out of the news for quite a while already. One of the better opinion articles from New Orleans would be this one:

Glenn Ford didn't commit murder, so after 30 years he's leaving Death Row at Angola: James Varney | NOLA.com

Another article that you might have a look at is this one:

Death row inmate Glenn Ford released 30 years after wrongful conviction | World news | theguardian.com

It's a British news source, but sums up things rather neatly for anybody other than one who wishes an itemized list of appeals, outcomes, and so forth. For that, you're gonna need a straight up legal review site such as caselaw.findlaw.com.

Hope this helps!

--R :thumb:

5 people like this.
  18. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

30 years of a mans life taken away because of a crime he did not committed.

3 people like this.
  19. Roberteaux

Yeah... it's a bloody shame. But at least he wasn't executed. He's still got some time left... not that anybody can give him back the time he lost as a result of the bogus sentencing...

Since 1973, a total of 69 people have been released from death row in a number of different states. The advent of DNA evidence caused an acceleration in the number of individuals who were wrongly sentenced to die, but there's another bunch of cases like the one of Mr. Ford whose innocence was established by other means.

--R

3 people like this.
  20. bertzie

bertzie Senior Member

What percentage of death row inmates is that?