Aerosmith "Combination"/Thin Lizzy Jailbreak - 70's Tone

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by B5Erik, May 10, 2017.

1. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

So I'm looking for a bridge pickup that can get me that mid 70's Hard Rock tone like Aerosmith's "Combination," "Sweet Emotion," and, "Walk This Way," as well as Thin Lizzy guitar tone on the Jailbreak album.

(I know most of you have probably already heard those songs, but I post them any chance I get since I never get tired of hearing them - especially the Thin Lizzy tracks!)

What would be the best choice to get that sound? I know there's a slight difference between the two groups' guitar sounds, but the tones are similar. (A tone right in the middle would be AMAZING!) Am I looking at T-Top clones? Or is it something else? (I believe James mentioned T-Tops when I told him I was looking for that '75/'76 Aerosmith tone...)

Anyone here chase (and catch) that tone? If so, what pickups did you use?

Thanks!

brianbzed, Kris Ford and bulletproof like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Senior Member

I was gonna say any low gain pickup and tweak your amp to match the song. What guitar and amp you talking about?

3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Combination and Sick as a Dog are my FAVE Aerosmith tracks.
    I can get there damn near spot on with 57 Classics in my 76 LP and a '74 JMP.

Freddy G, mdubya, Rhust and 2 others like this.
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Senior Member

I was gonna say I have no problem getting classic tones with my guitars, LP has BB1 and BB2, SG has 57C+ and 57C. Run these through my Marshall 2204 and its done. :yesway:

bulletproof, mdubya and Kris Ford like this.
  5. Zenatty1

Zenatty1 Premium Member

Bare Knuckle Emerald- all day long!

El Pablo likes this.
  6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Pretty much this!!
    Bear in mind too that there is a LOT of Strat in old Aerosmith too!

pedecamp and mdubya like this.
  7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

yea, I know and love these tones, and to me all I hear is marshall... I think a low/medium output pickup that is clear and a marshall
    duncan 59s would get you there, I'm pretty damn sure... assuming of course, the marshall tone

marshall, marshall, marshall. :D

8. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

My thought is any PAF-style...maybe slightly hotter, but only slightly. 59, Whole Lotta Humbucker, or Saturday Night Special can do it with the right Marshall.

C_Becker, El Pablo and pedecamp like this.
  9. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

Yeah, I've got a Marshall DSL40C, and it gets a pretty good range of tones from mildly distorted Classic Rock to full on Metal. I just don't have anything that sounds quite like the mid 70's Aerosmith/Thin Lizzy tone (when I dial back the distortion it just doesn't have the same bite that you hear on those tracks).

10. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

for the 40C to get that you have two options... use the clean channel and hit it with a plexi-type pedal

or use the green2 channel, but turn the gain WAY down, but the volume WAY up... (LOUD AF) then dial in a little gain to get you there...

those old marshalls weren't master volume, so that sound was power tube saturation and sag

pedecamp likes this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Get a 70's Marshall. I recommend 2204. Then all of your pickups will sounds like Jailbreak. Thin Lizzy or AC/DC.

Heck, with my Maestro Fuzz into my Champ, all my pickups sound like Jailbreak. :yesway:

Rocco Crocco and Kris Ford like this.
  12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

And there you have it, folks....

Kris Ford and pedecamp like this.
  13. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I only listened to Aerosmith Combination. I hear Marshall's with greenbacks. Any low - med output PAF with that set up should get you there. Not a lot of gain there, compared to what is more common today, and two guitars. Makes a difference.

Kris Ford likes this.
  14. pedecamp

pedecamp Senior Member

Use your clean channel with gain up, if you need more gain plug a clean boost in front and dial it in. Also if your pickups are too hot roll your guitar volume knob back until you get the right tone.

15. pedecamp

pedecamp Senior Member

I've been messing around with this song from Aerosmith lately:

16. Emiel

Emiel Senior Member

The Lizzy boys were using Les Paul Deluxes with minihumbuckers in the Jailbreak era. I would say mid '70s JMPs and Blackback Greenbacks might be more important.

Kris Ford likes this.
  17. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

The early Joe Perry Aerosmith tone is classic LP-humbucker. Through the years he has played those songs you mention with a variety of guitars. That tone is 95% in the fingers--with fairly heavy strings, and dig in to get that raunchy feel. With enough overdrive, a Strat will do quite well also. Joe Perry has an excellent fret-hand vibrato technique, which is where that grinding riff comes from. I cheat and use a Strat with whammy bar and beef it up with a Minotaur distortion pedal. A Marshall Plexi is also helpful...

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  18. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

A song very similar to that one is "SOS (Too Bad)"

bulletproof likes this.
  19. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

i seem to remember reading years ago that most of the early aerosmith guitar tracks were done on smallish amps. some old small tweeds, etc. and that's the case with a lot of records from that era--or any. i see multiple folks posted about the 2204 circuit, which i own (in a 4104 combo), and it does record very well. but they obviously weren't around when any of the aerosmith, or thin lizzy, stuff was recorded.

and perry (in the last decade or so) says he favors carr amps for recording. again, small combos, not giant ear splitting heads and cabinets.

i have no idea what thin lizzy guys recorded with, as far as amps go, but their sound isn't as dirty as one might imagine. if anyone records themselves, they will quickly learn that high gain amp settings are not your friend, when trying to layer tracks. quite to the contrary.

even ac/dc guitars aren't all that gainy. they are definitely cranked, but as anyone who owns a big rig knows, if you hold a note or chord on a cranked amp, you'll get the howl and feedback. something most of those tunes shied away from. although, the lead on train kept a rollin is was certainly recorded with some serious volume, but not necessarily a lot of gain. and i believe that was les dudek playing that lead anyway.

now the ramones??? johnny played some pretty loud amps while recording. it's unmistakable.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Freddy G, Rhust and bulletproof like this.
  20. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

speaking of the 2204 circuit (and pardon the link), this was just recorded with my 4101 the other night. this was just a 15 minute total recording session, to get an idea down. the guitar was an edwards custom, with a wolfetone mhmkII bridge pickup, and a neck pickup wound for me by a local guy (both paf types).

the neck pickup (stereo left rhythm) sounds good to me, the stereo right rhythm was both pickups, but it sounds like $hit to me. the playing sucked anyway. again, it was just for a scratch track.

both were with the 4104, with the preamp gain (i have a great nos tube in v1) at about 3, and the master at about the same. not quite bedroom volume, but by no means cranked.

the lead tone (again, playing sucks, but was just for effect) was the mhkII, same amp settings, but my od11 pedal added for a little boost.

my point being, too much gain can really mud up a track. a lot of classic tunes had a lot less gain on the guitars than a lot would think, or assume. they still managed to get a great, full sound. plus, they had way better players and engineers than i am. :)

https://app.box.com/s/ohpz3yju6vbg1o3z81c45mwomsjxbv5a

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Freddy G, bulletproof and mdubya like this.