Advice, tips, help for me?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Destroythevoice, May 9, 2017.

1. Destroythevoice

Destroythevoice Senior Member

Hey guys, so I decided to upload a crappy video of me playing through a song just trying to adjust to the jazz 3 picks... as well as my new 7 string. Ultimately though this is my story...

I've been a guitarist for about 10 or 15 years on and off.. I am a vocalist before anything.. but guitar is my pleasure when I am able to do both at the same time... Now for how long ive been playing im often discouraged when i see kids who can play FAR better than me and theyve played way less time than I have.. So I often will just stare at my guitar.. or play the same basic crap I already know.

I am honestly looking and hoping to push forward from this.. break my barrier and learn my fretboard and just dance with the frets. Any guidance is greatly appreciated..

If anyone can help me via guitar pro 5.. even better.. or have good tip videos.. etc. Id forever be in debt. As a metal guitarist I find im most interested in learning jazz, blues, and classical styles of playing... I want to explore the roots of where it all began. I want to understand how these artists come up with certain licks.. why they chose certain notes.. patterns.. etc.

Thanks! Heres my crappy video for reference in where im at.. forgive me its extremely simple.

Stoli likes this.
  2. JonR

JonR Senior Member

1. Stop apologising! (It sounds like fishing for compliments. Like, you're not that bad really...;))

2. Don't be discouraged by people who are better than you. However good you get, there will always be people better than you, and many of them (irritatingly) will be younger than you. (Hey, it gets worse as you get older....) I'll bet most of them can't sing as well as you, right? ;) Basically, don't compare yourself with anyone. You're on your own path, you're not in a race.

3. If you really are "most interested in learning jazz, blues, and classical styles of playing" and you "want to explore the roots of where it all began" - then stop noocling around to boring backing tracks, and listen to some of that music (and trying to play it of course). Early blues, early jazz, even some simple classical pieces.

Getting better at improvising requires two things (mainly):

Vocabulary. You get this by leaning to play any melody, riff or cool phrase you come across, whether it's on guitar, sax, piano, etc, or being sung (especially vocals). Forget about scales. Learn tunes.
    Technique. Learn your fretboard, any way you can. Learn chord shapes and notes. Scales can be useful here, in that they make good finger exercises, but make sure you know the notes in each one, and which chords they contain. Better to work from chords to scales rather than vice versa, but knowing both helps.
    (Ear training is the other important thing, but if you're listening properly while doing all the above, your ear will be getting enough training.)

Too many learners spend way too much time on technique alone - practising scales, etc, because they think they should, or because they want to play fast - and not enough on learning actual songs, all the way through. You need technique, obviously, but you also need to know what to do with it. Otherwise you noodle.
    Your noodling is not bad, btw, you seem to be thinking about each note, rather than spewing out all the ones you know.
    The most encouraging thing you say is that you are a vocalist - so sing what you play before you play it. Sing along with what you play. Make that connection with the guitar.

3. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

No better ear training and fretboard scale / interval training than picking out the notes to your voice as you sing through it.:thumb:

Just like Do re mi from sound of music.

Learn to match your voice to the notes on your fretboard and you will see the scale patterns emerge.

repeat this often enough and your brain will learn to anticipate where the next note you want will be and will start fighting you to drag your finger there!:shock:

I learned by chording a simple song that I knew really well. That way I could tell when I got it right, because I knew how it should sound.

It took some weeks before I could play it through without stopping to get my fingers in place etc. But it happened.

Then I moved on to other songs gradually getting more complex.

Some would have a new chord in them I hadn't tried before. Once I had this down I added it to my arsenal of chords and moved on picking up new formations as I went.

Great suggestion about listening to other's recordings. :thumb:

I played along with my stereo for years before I would let anybody hear me. Learned a crap ton of sounds that I had no idea what they were called.

Years later I started looking through guitar chord books and online to figure out what the heck I had been playing all that time!

4. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter