Advice on which prs to buy??

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Epifool, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Epifool

Epifool Junior Member

Ok guys, I need advice. I have a chance to buy one of three guitars. The first is a 94 ce 22. The second is a 97 McCarty, the last is a 06 McCarty singlecut 10 top. All three are within $200 of the same price. All I'm asking is which is the best investment? As a player, I know I want one of the older ones, but resale has to be taken into account, because life happens and sometimes you gotta let one go. Thanks for the help!

2. sloanthebone

sloanthebone Premium Member

The singlecut is probably the most valuable out of those. Pictures would go a long way in helping out from a resale perspective.

Outside of looks, it’s about what you want out of the guitar. Singlecut or double Cut? Neck shape? Those CEs can come with thin necks, it’s why I sold mine. CEs also have maple necks. The McCarty and singlecut should be hog neck and back and will probably be the closest in sound.

3. Epifool

Epifool Junior Member

Thanks. I really want the ce22, it has Dragon 1's. And is beautiful, has to be close to a 10 top. The only thing stopping me is the thought I may have to sell it at some point, and wouldn't it be best if I picked up the better investment, as far as that goes.

4. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

An 06 McCarty SC 10 top not more than 200 dollars more than a 94 CE 22 ?
    I would surely go for that one (the 06 McCarty one). Just my 2c.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  5. mmd

mmd Senior Member

As a guy who only plays PRS, I would say don't worry about the resale value. The guitars go up and down on the market A LOT right now. Currently, it's a buyers market. However, the of the list you gave, the more popular model would be the McCarty Singlecut 10 top.

As far as "older being more desirable" - yes...IF you have a pre-1995 guitar in killer condition. There is a lot to getting your money back on a PRS. I know for me I WILL not buy anything if it is not 100% original - in the original case, ALL the case candy, the trem bar. I know I will begin nit-picking over price if there are scratches or even ONE ding. If a guitar is "player grade" I will buy it to use live, but I will NOT pay more than $1200. Usually a player grade PRS is pretty hacked up, lol....

Be aware that the CE guitars have quite a different sound than the set-neck guitars. The bolt-on maple neck REALLY affects the sound compared to a glued-in mahogany neck. I have tried MANY times over the years to keep a CE. I ALWAYS end up selling them. Too bad for me because there are some beauties out there for a good price.

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Regarding the CE....the BEST top on a CE would only ever rate a "7" on the scale. Sometimes once they are finished they look stellar.

If you are buying for "resale" value, you need to get an Artist Pack guitar, a Wood Library guitar, a rosewood necked guitar. An early Santana, or Artist Series would hold value. The rare of limited models hold value. And then, they have to be pretty close to perfect with all case candy and the appropriate case.

Right now, PRS is a buyers market. It is hard to predict what will hold value. Look on Reverb - prices are ALL over the place, and many guitars are priced "right" but they have been listed for months if not a year. I sold two recently, a solid top semi-hollow Custom 22 (pretty rare) and a 25th Anniversary SAS NF with the WHITE case (again reasonably rare). I lost my rear on both. Together, I netted a hair over $3K.

My suggestion as a hardcore PRS guy is buy what you like and hope for the best when you sell. Know a Maryland-made PRS (non-S2) will always fetch at least $1000 if not battered.

7. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

If you're primary concern is resale, buy the guitar that you're least likely to play. It's the best way to keep it pristine.

Otherwise, any used PRS seems like a pretty good bet for something that will hold its value.

I do understand the desire to not lose value on potential resale. Yet, buying guitars as an investment really isn't going to pay off when compared to other methods of investing. But I guess there are exceptions once in a while.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

mmd likes this.
  8. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

If you care about resale, or even selling, don't buy a PRS at all. If you care about having a fantastic instrument, buy a PRS. Kapeesh?

With PRS guitars, get the one with the best woods and you won't lose too much

mmd likes this.
  9. KenG

KenG Senior Member

If you're buying new you'll always take a hit on resale regardless of the brand. If you're buying used the guitars shouldn't devalue much at all having already taken the hit. I say buy the one that you like the most, why settle based on the possibility of having to sell later?

10. archey

archey Senior Member

I'd go with the CE. They have actually gone up in value ever since they rereleased the ce24. Since they used cost cutting measures on the new version the older ones have became more desirable. You can't go wrong with a McCarty, but it won't have a very high resale value.

11. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I believe the ce24 is more popular than the 22, but IMO the 22 is a much better design in terms of PU placement. PRS grinds out zillions of guitars, and I'm pretty sure that resale value will stay about the same, or even drop. There are an awful lot of these out there. And w/ PRS quality and stability so high, it's not as though they're going to fall apart with age. Where I am, singlecuts appear to be available for bargain prices -- sometimes -- the others seem to be steady, or declining, any time I check. They're all good guitars, and all worth the prices you mention. I just wouldn't bet the ranch on resale or any appreciation in value.

12. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Yes, as above. PRS makes so many guitars per year that the most you can hope for is to break even when time comes to sell.

13. ant_riv

ant_riv Senior Member

Another thing that impacts PRS resale is the same thing we love about PRS: continuous improvement.

It used to be that older guitars were considered golden, but since PRS keeps pushing for better, there isn't the same appeal for older versions.

Buy the one you like the most.

mmd likes this.