Advice on possible pickup upgrade for Les Paul DC

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Assault Bacon, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Assault Bacon

Assault Bacon Senior Member

So -

A short time ago, I picked up a 2007 Gibson Les Paul DC AA Top - the guitar plays great, sounds great unplugged. I'm not happy with the bridge pickup. And I only really dislike it on the bass side of the fretboard.

Both holes are filled with Burstbucker Pro pups. The bridge is muddy and a bit dead sounding. The neck is probably decent as far as tone, but I'm not sure it's what I want, either.

I'm working on heavy blues/rock - think of a greasy mixture of Robin Trower, Jimi Hendrix, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Tool's Adam Jones. No, it doesn't have to djent.

Here are my first thoughts: There's a local guy with a set of '57 Classics for sale. My lemonburst traditional has 57's and I love them in that guitar. This is not that guitar, though.

The other option I'm considering is Bareknuckle Black Dogs.

I set the guitar up, had it set up by a pro, adjusted the pickup heights, played with the amp (a Mesa Lonestar Special / Avatar 2x12 cab w/ V30's,) played with the guitar's tone...

Current strings are 10-52 NYXL. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Personally, I'd upgrade the wiring harness first. That should get rid of muddiness. As far as pickups, everyone is going to suggest their favorites. There are some great winders that are members here on MLP. I'm sure any of them can help you in achieving the tone your after. Plus you can find some great deals on pickups right here in the classified section. Good Luck!

bulletproof likes this.
  3. Assault Bacon

Thanks - I will look at that. If I can effect change without investing in pickups, I'd just as soon do it. And I'll peruse classifieds as well.

bulletproof likes this.
  4. gtr-tek

gtr-tek Fumble Fingers Premium Member

Brutus is giving good advice. Make sure you try 50's wiring as that can and should fix the mud issue. You may be able to try that without much effort if it doesn't have a circuit board harness. If you still aren't pleased with the sound then try some different pups.

bulletproof likes this.
  5. Chadd

Chadd Senior Member

There's no way a BBPro should sound like mud in the bridge, you have something going on with your wiring. BBs are bright overall and BBPros more so than the rest of the line.

bulletproof and Assault Bacon like this.
  6. Assault Bacon

Alright. I'm going to look things over today and see what wiring it has. It's a 2007, so any number of things could have happened over the years.

Thanks

7. Assault Bacon

Wiring seems fine. I don't see any cold solders, it appears to be original, etc.

On the positive side, I did make some adjustments to pole screws (very minor) - but the biggest adjustment I made was to my signal chain. Perhaps I assumed that the same pedals, etc, would work for both guitars - the LP Trad and the LP DC - maybe I ddin't even think about it.

That was a mistake. I eliminated almost everything (boost, delay, etc) from the path and pared it down to the amp and a reverb pedal. I flopped the amp (again, Boogie Lone Star Special) over to the drive channel and tons of wow happened.

The guitar just seemed to come alive. So, thanks for all of the suggestions and help, guys. I really appreciate it. I'm going to leave her as is - at least for the foreseeable future.

bulletproof likes this.
  8. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Success!!!! Glad you sorted it out!

9. Chadd

Chadd Senior Member

Glad to hear that you got it all worked out. Now you know why I said that it shouldn't sound like you described.