Advice on mellow

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by scooter500, Aug 19, 2017.

1. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

Any suggestions on even, mellow, yet still articulate humbuckers? This is for my 175 copy

2. Fracture

Fracture Senior Member

what's yer budget ?

3. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

Hi Fracture,
    I searched some and Seymour Duncan Antiquity humbuckers looked interesting, those are roughly $250 a set, but I am a nube in this arena.

What pickups were you thinking of?

4. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

Not everyone likes them, but I am a big fan of the 57/57+ set. I had them in an '08 Traditional and put them in my '70 SG as well. Ia m not a high gain guy, I play a lot of clean stuff, or just on the edge of breakup kinda stuff. The 57/57+ set works for me.

But, when it was time to re-pickup my Custom Lite, I went with a custom wound set form Zhangbucker. When I described what I wanted, and gave a few examples, David knocked it out of the park and nailed exactly the toen I was looking for. I paid less than a set of Antiquities... After this experience, it will be difficult for me to go back to buying mass produced pickups.

5. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

Mellow and articulate seem to be opposite qualities, IMO. Get something on the lower wound end, like a Seymour Duncan '59 set, 8k to 9k bridge, 7k to 8k neck, AlNiCo 5 magnets, then roll back the tone knob to hit the sweet spot between clear and mellow.

6. Fracture

Fracture Senior Member

I had a Standard with a set of those in it, like an idiot I traded the guitar for an amp (still have it)

took me forever to find this
    http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/f-s-gibson-burstbucker-pros.214421/

guess I just forgot, so I just bumped the thread

7. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

Well, I appreciate everyone's thoughts. As you say Antigua, might be impossible to get everything from a pick up, but there has to be a set. Like you say Fracture, like the one that got away. So, as you suggested, Axis39, I emailed Zhangbucker this morning. Coffee time!

Axis39 likes this.
  8. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

I've never been a fan of Seymour Duncans. They just never seem to deliver. Give Wolfe at Wolfetone.com an shout. He is very helpful and can wind you what your looking for. There are other winders that are members here that can be of help too. Good luck.

9. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday

10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

The Seth Lovers are a little more mids than the Antiquities, and would be my choice in any semi or full hollow.

11. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

If you pretend Seymour Duncans cost a lot of money, they sound better.

scooter500 and Axis39 like this.
  12. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

I ended up ordering 90 Bucker Zhangbuckers, Bill answered my questions and gave me advice. The set will have a neck output of ~6.6k narrow with an alnico 2 and the bridge ~7.7k alnico 2. That way I can play mellow on the 175 copy, and grit on my LP!

Benjammin likes this.
  13. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Who's Bill...? His name is David Plummer. :confused:

14. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

For an "articulate and mellow" tone with a jazz box, such underwound hand guided HB's would have been my first choice too (along with the Seth's if I wanted easy to find machine wound pickups).

If one day you have a few more minutes and dollars to spend, try a pair of A3 mags in these puppies . Once their height properly reset, You might appreciate the result.