Advice for Aged nickle parts

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by ShawnM, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ShawnM

ShawnM Member

I'm looking into installing aged nickle parts on my 2016 Traditional.

Pickup covers, bridge / stop bar.....Looking for advice / opinions on vendor and manufacturer.

2. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

I would recommend creamtone 100%. I ordered an aged bridge and tailpiece from them and it was exactly what I was looking for.

https://www.creamtone.com/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

faber would be another high quality choice.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    kiko, peterjc, endial and 3 others like this.
  3. ShawnM

ShawnM Member

Thanks for the recommendation, looks great. I do believe that will do just fine.

4. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Are you looking to convert the bridge to an ABR-1? If not, then neither CreamTone nor Faber will suffice for a bridge (ie, they don’t sell Nashville bridges). Philadelphia Luthier does sell a nickel Nashville, but you’d have to age it yourself (or get it aged). PL also sells everything else you’d need in nickel (ABR-1, aluminum tailpieces, etc), but again, you’d have to age them yourself or get them aged (PL stuff is the most affordable by a long shot though).

If you are gonna convert to an ABR-1 then you have to ask yourself if you want to just use the Nashville conversion posts (available aged from both CreamTone and Faber or un-aged from PL) or if you want to upgrade to Faber’s iNserts. I put the Faber iNserts in all my LPs now (along with their locking tailpiece studs). Other than a pickup swap, these are the two most significant upgrades I have done to my guitars. The added sustain is impressive. Really can’t recommend these two items enough. CreamTone has good stuff, but they don’t have an equivalent to these two Faber upgrades. I have/had CreamTone, Faber, and PL parts on my guitars. All are good products. IMO/IME the Faber parts are higher quality though and offer more than just aesthetics.

**A side note: if you are going to go with a lightweight aluminum tailpiece be aware that despite the popular sentiment that aluminum is *always* an upgrade...it’s not... at least not IME. It just depends on the guitar. I have 2 LPs with aluminum and 2 with heavy zinc (all aged nickel)... I tried aluminum on these 2 as well, they just sounded better with the heavier tailpiece. In the end you really need to listen and let the guitar tell you which sounds best on it—aluminum or zinc. (BTW, nickel/zinc tailpieces can be had from PL should you decide to go that route).

Coldacre and ShawnM like this.
  5. GT08

GT08 Member

It's all 'fake'.

6. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

I've had goid luck with Pigtail bridges and Throbak and DMC covers.

7. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

that is something I didnt consider but I would still recommend swapping to the abr-1 creamtone bridge and tailpiece as they are way lighter than the nashville stuff.

8. ShawnM

ShawnM Member

I am looking to convert to ARB-1.
    Probably going to go with the Faber kit and get pickup covers from PL. The creamtone parts look great, but I have ran across a couple threads full of rave reviews for Faber.

Thanks everyone.

9. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

As Sk8rat stated, I would also go CreamTone. Great parts and a great company to do business with.

I used their Alluminium Bridge as well.

[​IMG]

Finished product :D
    [​IMG]

DADGAD, ShawnM and C_Becker like this.
  10. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

For pickup covers, try the Philly Luther raw nickel ones. They're not aged, but have just not been buffed to a shine. $6.49

[​IMG]

theroan, sk8rat and Donal like this.
  11. Starman

Starman Senior Member

Creamtone / Wizz = fantastic

59Parts = Amazing

Phili Luthier = Awesome

Faber = always on point

By working with these four vendors you can detail your LP with the best parts.

12. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

didnt know about them. I have been looking for pickup covers but no way im paying all the ridiculous prices people ask for them.

13. Coldacre

Coldacre Senior Member

the Faber iNsert kit is the way to go. amazing upgrade for any USA Les Paul. their locking bridge is killer too.

14. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

I was planning to upgrade my Trads bridge and tail and was gonna go Creamtone. I need some tall rings too.

CreamTone likes this.
  15. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

something else worth noting is that the faber stuff costs twice as much as the creamtone stuff.

DADGAD likes this.
  16. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

The thing is, while they are similar products they aren’t the exact same. The CT/PL ABR-1s are warmer toned than the Faber ABR-1 which is brighter (Faber is lighter weight and seems to have more aluminum in it). So depending on the guitar, one bridge may be better suited than the other. Of my 4 LPs 2 have Faber ABRs and 2 have CT/PL ABRs. The 2 with the Fabers benefited from the bit brighter Faber bridge. The 2 with the CT/PL ABR benefited from the warmth of that bridge. It’s tough to say which is better, they are just different.

IMO/IME (owning both) both are good, and both have advantages. The Faber stuff is higher quality, but the CT/PL is more affordable while still being very good quality. The Faber iNsert system is significantly better than just Nashville conversion posts, and the Faber locking tailpiece studs far exceed the any standard tailpiece stud. The difference in sustain with these two mods (iNserts and locking tailpiece studs) is significant! Even on my CT/PL-ABR-equipped guitars, I still have the Faber iNserts and locking studs. They are just a must IMO.

When it comes to the bridges tone is subjective, of course... so YMMV. But the increase in sustain from the iNserts and locking studs is pretty objectively noticeable/measureable.

17. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

Faber would get my vote.