Added a 3300pf resonance control and a bunch of old ceramics, what do you guys think ?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by LPV, Sep 21, 2017.

1. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Also put the bright cap back in to give it some to to balance out at lower volume. Trying to emphasize the lower mids. Also put an old 540pf cap in the tone stack (36k). This is my junior (p90) so I'm using a slight amount of clean boost with the tone cut back to compensate for the bright pickup but the gain is about unity. This is recorded at about singing voice volume. Really digging the mod to the 2204 preamp (with a few little changes ;)). Recorded with my phone so... ya. What do you think ? (about the tone, not the random 80's riffing) - Edit the Amplifire is not in the signal anywhere, it just managed to get in the video.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Big John and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  2. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

Listening on laptop speakers.. so yeah!
    I liked it. I could hear all the articulation and phrasing within your chords quite nicely.
    Nice twang and not at all tinny. I can't hear bass on this thing, but it was full in the mids and not boxy or muffled.
    A before sound clip would have helped...

Man, some guys have all the fun!

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  3. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Nice. We're of the same era, Brother; i think it sounded real 80s. Nicely done

4. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Sounds outstanding!

5. LPV

LPV Senior Member

It doesn't come across in the videos but there is some nice low mids in there but not scooped. Now the interesting point is that volume is nowhere near loud enough to jam with but it has plenty of extra horsepower on tap and it only gets better as the volume goes up. But the resonance pot and tone stack need to be adjusted at louder volumes. In fact at a certain level I find it sounds best with the bass rolled all the way off and brought back in via the resonance pot. It sounds tighter. I may put a 1000pf cap in parallel on a switch to see what the change is.

6. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Senior Member

That sounds great! Is that a YBA-1?

7. LPV

LPV Senior Member

It was :)

It's a very heavily modded yba-1

8. Riffraff12571

It sounds like you have it dialed in perfectly. :dude:
    I love mine. It nails that old school Marshall tone better than any actual Marshall I've ever owned.

LPV likes this.
  9. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Ya, I now scan the local for sale ads regularly looking for deals on these. Or most any other traynor of the same era.

10. Riffraff12571

I found a YGM-3 for my son about 18 months ago. We recapped it, replaced a few bad tubes (put all ANOS in the preamp) and changed the speakers. Most of the tubes it came with were the original Phillips labeled Mullards. It's the BEAST offspring of a Super Lead and a Twin. Talk about tinnitus! :rofl:A real pants flapper. He is scanning CL daily now looking for Traynor anything.

LPV likes this.