Add a Maestro to an SG JR?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by jiveturkey1, Sep 21, 2017.

1. jiveturkey1

jiveturkey1 Senior Member

Hi folks. My next guitar is probably going to be a 63-65-ish SG Junior. They must have built a LOT of them because there are a bunch of them for sale and still affordable for Golden age Gibsons.
    I'll be looking for just the right one (after I sell some more stuff) with the right original checked finish, player condition etc. One of the things I desire is one with the factory optional short Maestro Vibrola.
    Let's say I find the right one except it doesn't have the trem. Would it be vintage guitar heracy to find a vintage one that matches the bridge (chrome vs nickel vs condition) and right for the year and install it as if the factory did it in the 60's? Not to fool anyone if I sold it but for my own enjoyment.
    I believe an owner of a vintage guitar is a caretaker of that instrument as it should outlive the owner. But since it " could " have come that way, is it ok?

2. jiveturkey1

Hmm, this isn't the most active forum here it seems. Surprising because old SG's are so sexy. Anyways...to answer my own question, I'm thinking it depends on the guitar and since there are so many SG juniors it wouldn't be too bad. Maybe....?

3. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

JT,
    I wouldn't turn down a great deal on a nice vintage SG because it has a Maestro, but I would never add one. I had a 60s SG Special with a short Maestro and I hated that thing. I put a stoptail on it. My Custom has a Vibrola which a lot of people hate, but I don't mind it... I just never use it. I also hate to see LP's with Bigbys. Just my personal taste.
    You need to do what makes you happy, never mind what others think. One exception: do not Butcher a 50s GT to make a waanabe Burst. :eek2:

jiveturkey1 likes this.
  4. jiveturkey1

Thanks 61!
    Appreciate your opinion. I've actually never had a Maestro, I might rethink that and or put a repro on my $69 Epiphone special I and see if I like it.
    Totally agree about goldtop to burst conversions. That's a crime!

5. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

I hope I didn't sound too snarky, or critical.
    It would be really nice if you could try one with the Maestro and make your form your own opinion. You may LOVE it.
    Either way those old Jr.s are tone machines...pure rock. Good luck with your quest.

jiveturkey1 likes this.
  6. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

If the model and year of junior originally had a option of a certain vib, it wouldn't be "vintage heresy" to ad one. But, IMO, those vibs (and the side pull vib on my SG Standard) are tone suckers, and are no good for trem work.

jiveturkey1 likes this.
  7. Wailing

Wailing Senior Member

SG Juniors are fantastic pieces of kit, I would probably resist popping a maestro on it, would be worth trying to find a Junior with one on to try before committing to adding one to an old un that does not already have one fitted. I have a 2011 version which is excellent, and I would love to get a real 60s one... Enjoy :jam:

jiveturkey1 likes this.
  8. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

I suggest you play a stop tail and and one with a maestro. SGs 1.jpg
    I love my Maestro SGs. The stop tail piece in theory will give you a bit more tone. However you would never know that my JR and white Special ('63s) had a Maestro. Even the '64 Std sounds spectacular with the maestro. The reissue, far right, is GIGANTIC sounding but that's because I put new set of Lollars in it. Go out and play several guitars to get a sense of how the stop or the maestro effects the tone. The other gripe about the maestro is keeping in tune. I got lucky with mine.