Adam s3x-h?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by dspelman, Jan 30, 2017.

1. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

I have several pairs of these being dangled at the moment.
    Anyone have experience with these?

I've currently got a pair of Rokit 8's and I've been running keys, modeled guitar and a small amount of bass through them for home practice in a 10x12 room. I'm looking at the Adams for a bit larger room, same general sources (plus output from the sequencers on the keys) and possibly a bit of vocal work.

So I have two questions: How would you rate them as near- or mid-field monitors, and what should I be looking at for a pair of them? Amazon's got them for $4K *each*. Each has about 800W RMS built in (250W each for two 7.5" woofers and one 4.5" woofer plus about 50 for the ribbon tweeter), 126 dB max (two running). How flat/transparent should I expect them to be? Any known trouble areas?

[​IMG]

2. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

The Neumann KH310A is half the price and, to me, seems to more closely reproduce the source audio from what I am hearing in this comparison.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R7fuNzeBXU[/ame]

3. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Thanks -- a couple of things, though.

One, I never evaluate anything for sound over YouTube. No way to tell what the listening environment was, or how the whole thing was colored by the microphones and signal path and, of course, the compression, etc., of creating the Youtube sound. And then there's whatever you're listening to the Youtube through...

Two, the Neumanns are 100 dB speaker systems with less than half the power of the S3X-H, and I'm looking for something between a nearfield monitor and a built-in main monitor ala a big Genelec.

4. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

In the midder higher price range here I might consider having a look at BlueSky . 6D satellites.
    worth checkin out,, me thinks, if you haven't.

5. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

I don't want to sound like a Tyler Acoustics cheerleader, but if I were in the market for a smaller "big time" speaker, I'd be looking at the Decade MM5X.

http://www.tyleracoustics.com/Decade X.html

Grab a decent amp -- A used Bryston or a Emotiva XPA2 and you're in a sonic nirvana that few ever attain.

6. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

But John^^^^^^ You are a Tyler Acoustics Cheerleader.

Rightfully so! Some do it WAY better than others! Tyler is in that category.

Now if you could only do something about the way you look in that Cheerleader outfit? :shock:

I've been keeping an eye out for those Tyler D4Ms you use for nearfield monitors. This way I can leave my ProAcs in the L/R and not shuttle them back and forth. Or the other way around :confused:

I did buy a pair of Equator D8s. I haven't even taken them out of the box yet. :doh:

7. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

Oh, those aren't nearfields... Those are actually farther away than the D1's. You should see the orbit of the woofers when I get 'em up to around 115dBSPL...

Seriously - It's pretty rad. They look like they're going to jump out of the enclosure. On fire. :naughty:

8. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

I digress here......

One day if I ever get to your neck of the woods, I'd love to see (and hear) your setup! When I was in HS (1977), I wanted to go to school for Recording Engineering. My whole family pig piled me and talked me out of it including my grandfather. He was a "Theatrical Consultant" at the Hofstra Playhouse (Hofstra University) He basically coordinated and ran all that had to happen in the trenches of every show. He piled on too saying Recording was a father to son union and I'd never get anywhere. I went for accounting. Left after 1 year.

So this would be really exciting for me. I still kick myself for caving. I have always "burned" for anything "audio".

9. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

If it makes you feel any better, I can tell you exactly how many people I know with degrees in audio engineering who are actually working in the industry. I'll list them all below:

Now, the list of interns that I regretted would be much longer. Day one, trying to tell ya' how to do the job you've been doing for 20 years... Most of them without a handle on even the basics.

Long story short, every engineer I've ever known that came out of [audio school] "a really good engineer" was a really good engineer when they signed up.

I'm not saying it's a bad place to be -- But I think practical experience is so much more valuable in the long run...

10. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Thanks! That helps for not going to school! Now about not finding a way into the industry is another issue. That's where I screwed up!

That "Sound City" Documentary by Dave Grohl shows exactly what you say. The guys came in looking for a job at the right time, stayed and learned in the fire!

That's my style. I am a Kinetic Learner. The hell with books. I want to be in the fire. All of my best lessons were. :thumb:

11. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

We loved Kinetic Learners in the military. We had them take point. RIP.

Looked at all recommendations. Bought the Adams. Good so far.
    If there are issues, I'll sell them on at a profit (hopefully) and take another look at those recommendations.

12. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

:io: