Actual CITES and Cross Border Info Canada/US Shipping

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by yamariv, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Nippon

Nippon Insert Kanji here... Premium Member

Probably because it was a duty free sale, which would connect them to an international transaction. Don't know.

2. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Ahh I see, must have been that..

3. JohnInNJ

JohnInNJ Junior Member

And I bet the Chinese are still importing rosewood and laughing their butts off at CITES. Hey, if they kill elephants to make trinkets out of their tusks and kill tigers to make voodoo medicine...what's a tree to them?

Pappy58 likes this.
  4. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Yes, because the border guards can tell the difference :)
    I think the bigger problem is that they can’t tell.

But so far, it seems like it’s working ok.

5. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

But rarely bother; they just seize on suspicion. Even though most are dunderheads who can't tell MOP from abalone.

And once it's seized, the burden is on *you* to prove your instrument is free of contraband material, a process which is both lengthy and likely will cost you more than the value of the instrument.

In other words, comply with the bastards' stupid paperwork and fees, because they have the power to f*ck up your life.

6. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

just skimmed the new reverb terms and conditions and there is a clause on cites regulations

7. Lemonburst R8

Lemonburst R8 Junior Member

Thanks for the great info, always interested in CITIES stuff. I was wondering if they specially train border agents to identify brazillian rosewood as a species onto itself. If you've been around the stuff long enough you can easily spot the brazzy. I have a 62 strat that there is no problem seeing the difference but to the regular joe, I'm not so sure. Maybe we should start a thead with pics of nice dark luscious oily Brazillian rosewood fingerboards, anybody up for it? Anyway great info from our friends from the great white north. RORO That's Roger Over Roger Out for you non military types.

yamariv likes this.