Active or FRFR Speaker for my Headrush

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by CaptainT, Dec 6, 2017.

1. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Hi guys,

I am making a list about possible speakers to go with my Headrush Board.

I wanna use it for rehearsal, Live on stage (as sole amplification without P.A.) and as a Monitor, depending on the venue.

I cannot get Xitone in Germany, so they are out of the question. Atomic is too expensive, at least when they are new.

I mostly play Classic Rock/Hard Rock or "soft" Metal like Metalica Black Album Stuff. So there is no Need for Ultra tight modern metal.

The following models are in my consideration:

2x TS Alto 212 as a Stereo Setup 635.- Euro
    2x EV ZLX 12P Stereo Setup 759.- Euro
    Red Sound RS LG 12 859.- Euro
    Line6 Firehawk 1500 859.- Euro

Stereo Setup would be kinda cool:)

Anything else I should consider testing? It shouldn´t be more expensive than around 850.- Euro

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

You know my vote, lol.

Seriously though, while I dig the EV, do be aware there is a bit of "EV tone" in there. It's not totally flat. I was cool with that because I always used EV guitar speakers in my cabs - and that's what I was used to hearing. Also, my end goal was a little different. I was after a "digital solution" to my tube rig and the EV speaker was TOTALLY a part of that.

I have never tried the Red Sound stuff, so no comment there. The Alto was on my short list when I was looking. I went EV for the above reasons. Everyone I know who uses the Alto speakers LOVES them. I tried a Firehawk 1500 and dug it - if I ever decide I need a more "neutral" sound, it'll be on my list.

But I am ALL EV and haven't looked back in two years.....

CaptainT likes this.
  3. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

CaptainT likes this.
  4. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Yeah, I love your tone, but you know that already:) Thx for commenting on the "EV" colouring of the tone. I am playing in a coverband at the moment, so something rather neutral might be a good idea. The price point of the Alto 212 is very good, so I might give them a try if I go the active PA speaker route.

I´ll check them out, thx!

5. alstev

alstev Senior Member

Xitone costs too much to ship to Canada so I'm gonna buy a Mission Engineering amp. I like how the Io looks like a mini slant cab.

dissaffected likes this.
  6. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I've heard some say the Alto 212s were boomier than the Alto 210s. You have to remember NOT to think of these drivers as full frequency speakers (like a guitar speaker), they are not, they are in fact woofers more or less. So they roll off pretty quickly as frequency increases. The larger the speaker in this class the lower the roll off point is generally speaking. In the case of the Altos the TS212 crossover is 2KHz and the TS210 is 2.5KHz. What that represents is how much of your guitars grequency range is split between the LF Driver and the HF Driver. The guitars range is approx 80Hz to 5-6KHz primarliy and this range isn't flat but fall off at both ends before these frequencies. In my opinion you want as much of the range as possible to be covered by the larger (and usually higher powered element) ie the speaker and let the HF driver just adds some high end. The need for big bass is not the same as it is with a PA speaker that replicates bass guitar, drums etc. In my opino a 10 speaker can move/perform just as well as a 12 when it comes to the guitar's useable frequency range.

CaptainT and mmd like this.
  7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Speaking to this.....

One of my friends returned his TS212 cabs for a pair of the TS210 cabs. The sound he is getting is WAY more "guitar" like, and he does LESS sculpting with the high/low cuts then the dudes that use the TS212 cabs. I have thought about getting a pair of cabs with 10s, but I am getting what I need.....(part of the Helix move was promising my wife gear would come in and out of the house less often).....

CaptainT likes this.
  8. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

9. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

For the past year, Yamaha DXR10s have been getting lots of love here. They sound spectacular with the Helix for electric guitar and acoustic guitar. I opted for them over the DXR12. In close A/B comparison, I found the lighter, less cumbersome, and lower priced DXR10 left nothing to be desired vs. the DXR12 for my use as Wedges, Backline, or mid field monitoring. I do not use them for general PA nor for DJ applications, so YMMV.

CaptainT likes this.
  10. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

AllTheSound and CaptainT like this.
  11. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

I have a pair of these in passive , I drive them with a Roland SRA-2400 amp. Amazing sounding FRFR's . They are everything i had hoped for.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    frankv likes this.
  12. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Couldn't find much info on them but I ordered one anyway. Should be here this Fri. I'm currently using the EV ZXL-12P w/ Helix LT. Nothing wrong with it, just trying something new.

CaptainT likes this.
  13. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

Vortex and CaptainT like this.
  14. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Wow, there is a lot of useful Information in here. Thx guys! Now I need to start thinking and testing what´s best for me!

Cheers,

Thorsten

AmpedUp likes this.
  15. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

One last question (hopefully:) )

Do you guys think that the Alto TS210 is strong/loud enough as a pure Backline Setup? We have many local venues without PA for the instruments. They usually only have a P.A. Setup for the vocalist. I would need the speaker as my "amp" in that case.

16. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I have the TSA212 (predecessor to the TS series), and there is no way it would be loud enough to fill a room while competing with drums and other instruments. The Yamaha DXRs are supposed to be much louder (1100 watts I believe), so I would check on those. Unfortunately, they are more expensive.

EDIT---Just read your OP, and saw you were considering the Firehawk 1500. I have one of those as well, and it is plenty loud for what you are talking about. It also makes a good backup if the Headrush stops working for some reason. Plus it sounds great. The Firehawk 1500 is fucking heavy as hell, though, so keep that in mind.

frankv and CaptainT like this.
  17. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Thanks, this is very helpful!

Right now I am stuck between Firehawk/DXR10 and the RedSound. The Red Sound got very good reviews in Germany. Marco Fanton plays them, maybe you know him from Youtube. I considered the Friedman ASC too, but I read that it is not good for warm vintage sounding stuff. The DXR10 is reviewed as being harsh/trebly when played loud.

I just checked the weight of the Firehawk...wow XD

frankv likes this.
  18. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I decided to go for this as a first try, there is always the 30 days Money-back:)

I ordered it 30 minutes ago:)

Thx for all the input guys!

P.S. The TS 210s were out of stock, so I went with the 212

[​IMG]

frankv likes this.
  19. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I don't think you will be disappointed at all.

CaptainT likes this.
  20. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I wanted to add.. You are in for a game changer... Sometimes guys new to this don't realize what effect a cabinet has. This is one of the reason when someone has a regular guitar cabinet and amp head they are pretty much stuck with that one sound. When you play this equipment, it's a new experience, one that most love and would never go back

CaptainT likes this.