Active melody membership?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by The Outlaw, May 1, 2017.

1. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Senior Member

After pretty much giving up for the last year or so I came across these guys on YouTube and am considering joining them or a similar site and trying to learn again. I can't really find much user input on them though and most Google results lead to their site rather than discussion about them. Anyone have any insight?

I really liked that they seemed to have a lot of beginner blues and classic rock lessons with tabs and backing tracks judging by their YouTube. I also liked that it offered monthly membership for $10..

At this point ultra dumbed down blues and classic rock is all I'm interested in. Ultra dumbed down is a must for me... i have absolutely no natural musical talent and although i pick up non music things very quickly, I have trouble with even the most basic music.

My biggest goal is to be able to play a basic 12 bar blues rhythm then eventually be able to run that into a Looper and play over it. As easy as that sounds to most it's seemed impossible to me. I loose time quickly and never figured out how to use a metronome.

Before I quit last I had just learned to be able to play E,A,D chords from memory and was trying to learn E7, A7, B7. OTHER than that I just played chopped versions of easy parts and intros of stuff like enter Sandman, teen spirit, seek and destroy, and sweet child o mine. Always just a piece of the most basic part though and out of time.. basically just well enough for anyone who was in earshot to have some idea of what song I was butchering...

Worth joining for someone like me?

2. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

I have no experience with them. But for $10, why not. If it works for you, then buy another month, until it doesn't. That's a pretty small investment.

I happen to really like Truefire.com. Top notch video lessons. You can buy them (usually in the range of $20 each). Or get subscriptions to all their videos (hundreds). These are not short YouTube video lessons. Each is usually a dozen or more videos, with supporting material like PDF transcriptions. You should definitely give them a look. Note: All videos are not the same. Some are simple "50 Blues Licks" others dig deep into some specific aspect of music. There are many different teachers.

Here's a link to several of their lessons marked as beginner and blues. Take a look.

https://truefire.com/guitar-lessons/beginner

Another good site is JamPlay. They are subscription only. And their material is not quite as neatly defined as Truefire. In some ways, they are more like taking lessons from someone. They also have many teachers and each seems to sort of keep adding on to a given lesson over time. So it's just different, not better or worse than say Truefire. But both are very professionally done. Not just someone with an iPhone and a guitar.

In the end, most would agree that an actual, in-person lesson is best. But, there is a bounty if information available online and no reason you shouldn't be able to find something that helps you.

Enjoy your journey.

3. The Outlaw

The Outlaw Senior Member

I'll check them out. I really wish I did have the time to take lessons from an actual person I drive a truck 70 hours a week on night shift so when the mood strikes I need to jump the chance while I have a few minutes