Active Buckers in an SG...is it difficult?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by eyegore, Jan 9, 2009.

1. eyegore

eyegore Member

Like the title says, is it difficult to put active humbuckers in an SG (I have an epiphone g400)?

Can you put only one in or do both need to be installed. I have changed the pup on a few guitars so I am not afraid of the soldering or wireing, but are there any pitfalls that you may be aware of?

:thumb:

2. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

On an SG/G-400? No show stoppers. It's even easier on this guitar vs. a Les Paul. You will have to replace all of the pots and caps, but it should be a snap. (EMG has the harnesses pre-wired for less soldering, and you might have to do a bit more work with the Seymour Duncan variants.)

And unlike the Les Pauls, (eh, you wouldn't need them with an Epi LP anyway), no long-shafted 25k pots required.

One thing to be aware of though...those pots might be a bit large for the volume/tone holes on the EMG....you might have to drill the holes out a bit...or a better suggestion if you're worried about chipping the paint is to ream them out.

Otherwise, as far as an Epi goes, a worthy upgrade. :thumb:

3. eyegore

eyegore Member

Awesome, thanks.

4. Brain Becker

Brain Becker Member

I've done it before. Long ago, I put EMG's in an SG Special. I have Duncans in it now.