Acouistic Run on From The Beginning speed

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by KP11520, Apr 18, 2017.

1. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

So, I've always wanted to perfect the acoustic guitar(s) part for ELP's - From The Beginning.

Years ago I learned the electric guitar solo and electric parts and did a video lesson posted on Guitar.com in case anyone wants to learn it.

Now it's time to get the acoustic part perfect as well. My friend Jack was best friends with Keith Emerson and I want to record the guitar parts for him to do a tribute. Jack is an AMAZING keyboard player as well. He already did an Eruption/Trilogy tribute on YouTube.

So there's this acoustic run on FTB right before the electric solo starts. It's 13 notes in 1.5 seconds. Using "Transcribe" (Great software for learning) the 13 notes are: 6th string: 0, 2, 3, 4, 5th string: 0, 2, 3, 4, 4th string: 0, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

How do you guys suggest I get this all done cleanly in that 1.5 seconds. Any techniques and/or exercises you can suggest? I can do it cleanly in just under 3 seconds. (OUCH!)

Like Dr Smith said so often (Lost in Space)..... Oh the PAIN! :rolleyes:

Thanks Fellas!

It's cue'd up in the link below:

https://youtu.be/cKI0d6TMlhM?t=2m10s

In case anybody really loves ELP or wants to see their prowess, YT has a video from The Old Grey Whistle Test of highlights of their 73 European tour. These guys were in a class of their own. They haven't made 'em like this in decades. Audio is horrible at points, but seeing guys at this level makes me realize how prodigal they were. And how far I am away! :(

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4iJfbi6s3M[/ame]

2. paradice

paradice Senior Member

I'd pick the first/open note on every string and hammer on all the fretted notes with fingers 1,2 and 3

I think there's an extra note on the end tho,and prob played like this... makes it a bit easier to play, not involving that 5th fret

keep doing the 0-2-3-4 on one string until you get the speed/rhythm, seems easier for me if I think of the 3rd fret note as an accent, but it's kinda off beat?

edit---maybe like this??
    ------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------
    ---------------------------0--2--------
    ------------------0-2-3-4----------
    ---------0-2-4-4-----------------
    0-2-3-4-----------------------------

I like pictures at an exhibition btw :)

KP11520 likes this.
  3. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Hey! Hey!

Don't be adding no 14th note.... I'm already having a hard enough time with 13. :rolleyes: LOL

I thought of just picking once and pulling off the remaining notes, but when slowing it down, Greg Lake is picking every one! OUCH!

Time to learn machine gun up down picking like a true shredder! On an Acoustic! :shock:

Thank you for nudging me in the right direction! :cheers2:

paradice likes this.
  4. DavGrape

DavGrape Silver Supporter

I knew the part you meant right away, by the thread title.
    Never tried it; till I got inspired now.
    It's a subtle bit that needs to be there.
    Good project for a rainy night in Mich.

13th note I'm hearing open G string; 14th note open A string.

KP11520 likes this.
  5. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Yeah, that open 5th string A is the start of the two chord progression run that has an open A hit (semi muted) between each chord.

Or MANY rainy nights here on Long Island. :shock: LOL

Thanks!

6. DavGrape

DavGrape Silver Supporter

I got it real sloppy so far; I've never even known where to play it.
    That band; jeez. Too much I could write.

KP11520 likes this.
  7. paradice

paradice Senior Member

I think I'm hearing the notes in my left and the picking noise? in my right ear...or is it something else?
    my headphones ****ed?!

I can't really pick at that speed comfortably but if he's picking them all..... downwards pick slanting might help (rotate wrist clockwise sorta thing..)...every string change is after an upstroke so if the pick's slanted downwards it's clear of the strings after an upstroke!...ready for a downsatroke on the string below

KP11520 likes this.
  8. paradice

paradice Senior Member

tried this on an acoustic earlier.....pretty sure it's mostly legato, makes it a LOT easier to play too, than picking

KP11520 likes this.
  9. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

If he was using legato, I have to get faster and get that left hand to articulate every pluck as well! Double uphill (in the snow). LOL
    Anybody know where I can get one of those "Matrix" downloads? Thank you! :cheers2:

paradice likes this.
  10. paradice

paradice Senior Member

found this.... it's a more twangy/slappier! sound on the ELP vid

11. paradice

paradice Senior Member

And this.... Think its safe to say picking it is!
    19mins in to the video he does the fast run, and picks it different to what I said.

Bit obsessed with this track now, cheers KP. :d

KP11520 likes this.
  12. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Yeah, that guy pretty much nails it! Thanks for that. Gotta get some speed for my fingers. LOL It's an easy song to get obsessed with. Just listen on a nice rig using good headphones and how the Guitar(s) and Bass dance together and around each other. Add top production and you have a bona fide masterpiece.

Since you're getting all obsessed and everything.... I'll make the electric part easy for you: https://www.guitar.com/video/elp-beginning-electric-guitar

:cheers::cheers2::cheers:

paradice likes this.
  13. Nard

Nard Senior Member

I use the hammer on method for this one as I don't have the pick speed no matter how much I practice it. Love Greg Lake's music and try learning as many of his songs as I can.

KP11520 likes this.