Ace's '59 For Sale At Uncle Lou's

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Midnight Blues, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Likely old news and sorry if this has already been posted/discussed:

https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibsson-les-paul-standard-1959-sunburst

Description:

Here it is in all its glory, Ace Frehley's original 1959 Gibson Les Paul sunburst. Besides the fact it was owned by someone whom many consider a Rock-N-Roll icon, it's also perhaps the baddest original '59 burst on the planet! The flame on this bad-boy can best be described as 'Brutal'...it's as deep as any piece of maple can get, and it dances around in the light like a friggin' kaleidoscope! The recent re-issues of this guitar do it no justice whatsoever, there's nothing like the original; it's simply in a class of its own. I'm currently entertaining SERIOUS offers approaching seven figures, so don't ask what I'll take for it, you tell me what you'll pay for it. - See more at: https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibsson-les-paul-standard-1959-sunburst#sthash.bqlBVWc9.dpuf

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No affiliation.

2. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Having met the man once and remembering him as a nice fellow I always cringe at the verbiage that makes up most of his online advertising.

2 people like this.
  3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Yeah, sounds like it was written by a teenager.

4. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

I thought ace's 59 was turned into blackie the black double cutaway .
    also the fret markers do not have the discoloration .
    seems fishy!

5. Saiko

Saiko Senior Member

That was Ace's '73 Tobacco Deluxe that you are thinking of, this is his '59. The current owner was considering the idea of selling it over the summer and I suppose he decided to do so. I wonder if Kirk Hammett will end up buying it...

2 people like this.
  6. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up my friend MB.

In my view this is one of the coolest 'bursts. That top is out of this world. For those of you who like subtle....I'm sure you'll disagree with my view.

As far as Uncle Lou's description...does it much matter?? Pretty sure the guitar will speak for itself. Not sure the last time "ad copy" sold a 'burst.

Mark

4 people like this.
  7. Midnight Blues

My pleasure Mark!

I just happened to be looking around on Gbase this morning and I saw it out there. I had no idea that it was sold? Wasn't Al Romano the most recent owner?

Thanks for the posts gang and :cheers2:

1 person likes this.
  8. Midnight Blues

9. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Glorious Burst............very cool.

:wow: :wow: :wow: :thumb: :applause:

But when half the World does not have enough Food to eat & clean Water to drink..........7 figures. :shock:

:cheers2:

crashbelt, Busso, peach64 and 3 others like this.
  10. Midnight Blues

Couldn't agree more in both respects Rudi! Absolutely gorgeous, but just crazy kind of money for a guitar.

Thanks for the post and :cheers2:

1 person likes this.
  11. Midnight Blues

Had to share this: I have a great nephew, who's 8 years old that just absolutely loves Ace! My niece and her husband took him to see Ace a few months ago and they were right in front of the stage. Ace gave him a pick and my niece said he also deliberately made the smoke from his "Pickup" go directly in my nephew's face! :laugh2: Needless to say, he had a blast!

Now, to tie it to this Thread, I sent my niece the link to Gbase and asked her to show it to him. He said it's "Stinkin' awesome!" :laugh2:

:cheers2:

2 people like this.
  12. Lespauly

Lespauly Member

Would be nice if Gene and Paul was to buy the 59 and give it back to Ace--thats the least they could do for the man who helped make them millions..Maybe Ace would be more wiser these days with it..

6 people like this.
  13. Saiko

Saiko Senior Member

They would probably give it to Tommy Thayer. Honestly, I think Ace is fine with it not being his these days, he has a really nice R9 he has used for the past decade or so that he seems happy with.

14. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

I believe Al is still the current owner and is consigning it through Uncle Lou.... or he sold it outright to Lou who is now trying to move it along.

Right around the release of the aged and signed Gibson Custom run of this guitar Al publicly spoke of his intention to sell... and here it is.

1 person likes this.
  15. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

This one is just off the chart. Former rock star owner and wonderful color and top. This has to be one of the most desirable in a world of highly desirable guitars.

5 people like this.
  16. herzog

herzog Senior Member

Gene and Paul do something nice - I got more chance of owning it than that happening...:naughty:

4 people like this.
  17. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

GIVE? GIVE? Gene? C'mon, man. Gene is trying to figure out how to make a buck off the stuff he leaves in the bottom of the toilet bowl. Nothing that man does is for free.

3 people like this.
  18. Midnight Blues

I know there's a lot of stories about why Ace sold it, but I can't imagine ever selling an LP like this either as the original owner or a subsequent one.

Thanks for the posts and :cheers2:

19. Midnight Blues

So much bad blood there that would never happen. It would be a miracle if they just reconciled. It's too bad.

Not likely, but it would be nice if Ace would end-up with it somehow though.

Thanks for the posts and :cheers2:

20. Rodmac

Rodmac Senior Member

Love Ace and that's a killer looking guitar albeit dinged up from heavy use, but is the Ace connection + killer top = Close to seven figures ? Don't think so by a long way.

Sounds like Salesman speak, trying to talk up the value.

Simple fact Ace out sells those other two and is more respected and gets better reviews and they know there is no Real KISS without Ace & Peter......they would never spend a Shekel on anyone least of all Ace.