A young noob's pickup phase issue

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by jean-jayvee, Jun 11, 2017.

1. jean-jayvee

jean-jayvee Junior Member

Hello there, knowledgeable people of the Les Paul forums,

I am well aware that many people may have faced the same problem, and some have probably already asked for advice on these forums, but after searching, I haven't been able to find a solution for my specific situation.

I am the lucky owner of this beautiful handmade Bacchus BLP '57 from Japan, a truly outstanding instrument which remains one of the best deals of my short life.
    The previous owner had replaced the stock japanese pickups for a set of custom handwound Alnico V humbuckers which at the time were made by a guy here in the suburbs of Paris.

However, I didn't really like the lack of mids on the bridge pickup, so last week, I swapped it for a new Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro, which by the way suits me way better than the previous one.

Here comes our problem : as both bridge and neck pickups work perfectly fine on their own, they are completely out of phase on the middle position.
    I have seen on various forums that this could be fixed on multiple-conductor wires, but both of my pickups are single conductor : I was told by the guy who swapped the pickups that the only solution was to change the neck pickup too, which I guess isn't true.

Should I manually rotate the magnet on my neck pickup to get both of them back in phase? Would this affect the tone of the individual pickups in any way ?

I thank you for your patience of educating an ignorant young man, grateful for the help of oyur years of experience.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. socialhero

socialhero Senior Member

I believe you can rotate the magnet in either pickup to fix the out of phase issue when both are selected. Be sure to rotate it lengthwise - don't just flip it over top to bottom, if that makes sense.

To verify your issue is definitely phasing, when both pickups are selected and you start to roll either volume down, does the tone thicken up? It should.

FYI - if you ask the mods to move this thread to the pickups subforum under Tonefreaks, you'll probably get more responses.

Good luck.

3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

You can also just swap the black & green wires of the Duncan, and that should bring it back in phase.

4. jean-jayvee

The Duncan, just as the neck pickup, is single conductor, I definitely can't !
    So should I rotate both of the magnets or just the neck?

5. socialhero

socialhero Senior Member

One or the other. Rotate both and you'll be in the same boat you are now.

Bridge will likely be easiest since the neck is covered. It's a pretty straightforward adjustment, just work carefully.

6. jean-jayvee

Thank you socialhero !
    Won't this alter the original tone of the pickup in any way (when used on its own) ?
    I think it was treated against microphonic feedback, would loosening the screws require me to treat it again?

7. socialhero

socialhero Senior Member

Won't alter the tone when used alone.

If the pickup is wax potted it might make it a bit more challenging to remove the magnet, but you won't need to do anything aside from flipping the orientation and tightening everything back up.

jean-jayvee and DarrellV like this.
  8. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Swapping the phase just makes the signal opposite polarity, not different in nature or tone.

jean-jayvee and socialhero like this.
  9. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Rotate ONE of the pickup's magnets, reversing its magnetic polarity. Either one, but only one pickup. Which ever is easier to get to the magnet in. It won't change any sound, other than the middle position will be in phase.

jean-jayvee and socialhero like this.