A Warning To Those Buying Amplitube Apps

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Bubbletonic, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Bubbletonic

Bubbletonic Senior Member

Just a quick warning to those buying IK Multimedia's Amplitube Apps - Amplitube/Amplitube Fender/Amplitube Slash.

If you buy these apps from the itunes store on your computer they will download as three standalone apps. They are fully functional as standalone apps but you won't for example be able to use the fuzz face from Amplitube with your 59 bassman in Amplitube Fender.

In order to get everything in one app you must use the in-app store and when you do that the new amps and effects will load into which ever app you bought them on. This allows you to buy the Amplitube app and add all the Fender and Slash content to it so you can mix and match amps, cabs and effects from all three apps and it also means you only need to upload your backing tracks into one app.

I warn you of this because I originally bought all three from the iTunes store to then find out that they didn't integrate with each other - disappointed at first but got over it. Later with the update to the app it is now possible to get all three in one app. I assumed that because I had already paid full value for all my apps and registered them with IK Multimedia that I surely wouldn't be charged a second time for getting what I had assumed I was buying the first time around - I was wrong. IK Multimedia / Itunes have charged me once for buiying the apps as standalone when I wasn't warned otherwise and now they've charged me again to actually get them to all work together which has seriously annoyed me because I don't have £18 / $28 to piss up the wall.

Other people are having similar problems such as if you have previously downloaded the free version of amplitube and bought some extra amps or effects for it - they won't carry over if you upgrade to the full version of amplitube.

I have chosen to vent here instead of their own forum - because their own forum is full of other people in this same situation and there is no solution from their side as to how to rectify it. I will have to seriously think before purchasing any more apps from Amplitube or purchasing content for the PC version of amplitube. Which is a real shame because they make great products that I enjoy, I just don't enjoy my wallet being taken advantage of and getting punished for buying on release - on release the Slash content was ONLY available as standalone so now those who bought on release must pay double to actually get what they wanted.

2. IK Obi

IK Obi Member

Apple does not allow you to transfer in app purchases to another app. We have tried to talk to them about it and it is the reason for SampleTank iOS being a universal app. The only time we are working on separate apps for each device is when there are obvious features on iPad that you can't have on iPhone/iPod Touch.

When you compare AmpliTube on iOS to the AmpliTube Custom Shop on Mac/PC those transfer fine where we can decide that ourselves. With Apple and the iTunes store we mus adhere to their rules on their apps store on their devices.

2 people like this.
  3. IK Obi

IK Obi Member