A "real" 1968 Gibson SG Standard (modified)

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by SoloDallas, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Core

Core Senior Member

I feel ya Kevin, for me personally it was more about how the guitar felt overall, the neck the board, the frets, how fast it was, price. Those are the keys things I look for in a guitar and the 69 literally jumped out at me compared to the others. I tried a 67, 65, 64, 68 and even though the neck might have been a little easier it wasn't that noticeable in the 69 heel.

I play and am used to LP Customs and I'm not up that high most of the time. If I am it doesn't seem to hard to me. I have small hands too so overall the SG is a great fit!

2. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

And in the end that is all that matters. I am glad to hear that it's a great fit for you and wish you many happy years with it, they are beautifull guitars. Welcome to the vintage SG club :thumb:

3. Gun E. Slinger

Gun E. Slinger Junior Member

I gotcha Kevin,
    Ruby is a stunner looks-wise and I am sure she is a dream to play,
    I really hve not had that much experience with other old S/G's, and none of the re-issues I've played feel anything like mine, some are in the ballpark,but...meh..

I sanded down the neck on my Strat so it felt like my buddies '64,
    that axe had THE strat neck for me, once I got mine like his, it felt like I had a brand new guitar.

One of my buddies has a saying about the neck being the soul of the guitar.
    So, when you find that one that speaks to you, it's glorious.

Congrats on finding the one for you, She's a awesome lady!!:applause:

rabidhamster likes this.
  4. Jimmy Forest

Jimmy Forest Junior Member

Hi guys,

I just found this late 1968, early 1969 vintage sg, someone is selling it for 2350 euros (3150 $),

the seller said :

Everything is original except the tuners, the pots, the saddles and the case.
    It has a one piece neck, one piece body brazilian rosewood, no volute, no made in usa mention, the vibrola angle is perfect unlike most of them (could you tell me what it means). the finish is a little bit cracked like most vintage guitars, is it a problem?

Do you think it is worthy?

Does the vibrola affect the sound and decrease sustain? does it stays in tune enough? How does it compare to earlier sg's?

Thanks in advance

5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Old thread, but there are many discrepancies..
    That larger rounded heel is a verified and undeniable '69 feature....not a '68..regardless of pot codes. So is the 3 piece neck..fact, not opinion or speculation. The heel pics that SG John posted are 100% unarguably 1969, not '68..you can see the seams! Also, a headstock shot would reveal the "Gibson" stenciled over the block with a missing dot over the "i"...
    Also on this thread, there are claims of a "68" that is clearly a 70-71..the lowered crown on the headstock never lies..Nor does the style of the Gibson inlay.also, it should be common knowledge that SN#s are repeated in 1970.
    All this said, a '71 Standard is every bit of a SG as a 68, like SoloDallas said..what gets me though is that even when presented with overwhelming fact based information on accurate dating, some people will STILL vehemently and adamantly refuse facts. Whatever...there are people who the truth..
    Another thing is the mention of the large guard appearing in '66..Most evidence abd fact based research says '67...if they were produced in '66..where are they now?? Have NEVER seen a legit '66 large guard that was made in '66, sold in '66 AS a '66...yes, even with '66 pot codes that might suggest an earlier build date...10 out of 10 these all wind up being '67, and there are also small guard '67 Juniors in existence.. My thought on this is on good word from former Kzoo employees is that the SG line shutdown to retool in very early '67 and THEN the large guards appear...at any rate, if there is a legit '66 large guard, that can be verified as a true '66, I would LOVE to see it...:cool:

1 person likes this.
  6. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

68 special 001.jpg 68 special 002.jpg some nice ones guys! however, they are standards, which are standard. how about this 68 special, which is, well, special?

7. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

That looks like the '68 heel I know of..in '67, all 3 Standard, Special and Junior all shared the same heel, previous to that, the Junior had a different heel/neck joint than the Specials and Standards..

8. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  9. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

That heel, off center SN# and it's range, 52XXXX says LATE '68, and so does the position of the Gibson inlay, and the font style, complete with dot over "i"..
    My very early '69 had the same heel, (535XXX series)
    [​IMG]
    and same offset style SN#..
    [​IMG]
    So the eBay one listed is TRULY a '68..probably one of the last..
    That long heel went on early into '69, so anything that says that rounded block heel is '68, is false..

1 person likes this.
  10. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

I just threw some PAFs into my '68 - which had been drilled with holes to accommodate a 9v battery; a small Muff and a phase switch - and it sounds 2 x's better than my Lester. And the intonation is amazing. The thing has always been so easy to tune [tuners replaced with Shallers]. Yeah Baby!

1 person likes this.
  11. SG John

SG John Senior Member

Both guitars have '66 serial numbers (120 apart), '68 pot codes, and mother of pearl inlays, not stencils. Unless you mean a solid piece of mop, with a negative stenciled over it.

1 person likes this.
  12. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

The solid block with the negative..does not that club heel reveal a 3 piece neck? I'm certain that is a '69 feature, and was sure I saw the seams in the pic... My '69 Junior 535XXX sn# range still had the flat heel, one piece neck, and I've seen many more very early '69's with that enlongated flat heel. Also I had a '69 with an "either or" 66 or 69 SN#, but was obviously a '69. Do those SN#s happen to be within the 500XXX or 800XXX range? Vintage Guitars Info - Gibson collecting vintage gibson guitars
    I have always gone by what I've seen and learned..missing i dot in Gibson='69 ONLY. 3 piece neck='69..
    Also, the LPF SG heel thread is wrong as it states the rounded block heel starts in mid '68, when I have owned 3 '69s in my life that all still had the elongated heel/one piece neck..

Of course this is all for the matter of discussion, and not to discredit anyone, you know how I'm a stickler for details and minutiae..:naughty:

13. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

Just let someone use this to add lead tracks to others she recorded elsewhere and she commented: "Wow, this guitar sounds amazing. If there are any others out there that sound any better, I don't know where they are".

Maybe SG + holes + PAFs = Wow! :hmm: