A "real" 1968 Gibson SG Standard (modified)

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by SoloDallas, Aug 9, 2010.

1. mikey see

mikey see Senior Member

What's the story with this faux vibrola? I've got one of these too, and had never seen another until I spotted this one.

2. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Modded vibrolas. Some people removed the system because of its instability and created a sort of more stable stop bar without modifying the guitar.

3. SG John

SG John Senior Member

It's what happens when a machinist gets pissed of at the original vibrola going out of tune one time too often, and has a day to himself at work with the guitar, a pizza, and a six pack of Harpoon IPA. Scroll down this link, and you'll see what's under the cover. I love the vibrola cover, but not such a big fan of the unit itself.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-gibsons/108901-derek-trucks-stop-bad-tailpiece-modification-his-sg.html

4. mikey see

mikey see Senior Member

Oh, so these were never done officially then eh? Mine looks so clean I never even considered that it was a mod.

Thanks for the info guys!

5. BurstOrBust

BurstOrBust Senior Member

Again, late to the game, but I'm hoping that when mine arrives, it's a real 1968 (as advertised). It was confirmed (according to the seller) by Norm at Norman's Rare Guitars, and Norm's been around the block. Has the similar neck joint as the OP's '68, a single-piece neck, no volute, deepish carves and the pots date 1967. Serial number also indicates a '68. Has a few minor "issues" like those two screw holes above the pup switch, but I got a very fair price. Crossing my fingers until it arrives . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ARFOR6

ARFOR6 Junior Member

7. BurstOrBust

. . And then I read-up more. And received a picture of the volute area. Yet again, this '68 is probably a late '70 or early '71 SG, but with older pots that Gibson probably had in their inventory. The Gibson logo and the volute areas are "tells". For some reason though, Norm at Norm's Fine Guitars was convinced it was a '68, and he has a real '68 SG listed at his website! (The seller was kind enough to email Norm's actual appraisal which denoted the guitar as a '68).

[​IMG]

8. BurstOrBust

That's a sweet-looking guitar! :shock:

I take it the knobs have been switched. How's she sound? Say, would you have a pic of the volute area?

9. ARFOR6

ARFOR6 Junior Member

10. ARFOR6

ARFOR6 Junior Member

11. BurstOrBust

12. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Keith,
    welcome to the family!
    I hope you won't be disappointed yours not being a '68. Not sure if I said this or not (I did say it somewhere, maybe at solodallas.net) but there is nothing making '68s better. I probably love my '71 more than my 68s. And for practical reasons: plays wonderfully, with the lowest action among them all, no issues whatsoever, huge neck, fat tone.
    Oh, and a 1971 Gibson SG Standard was Angus Young's first SG ever and much likely, his most favorite one!

Fil :)

13. BurstOrBust

Thanks for the warm welcome, Fil!

Regarding the psuedo-'68, no I am not disappointed. (Although I have yet to receive it, so I may be overspeaking). I was actually looking for a '70 or '71 because I do prefer the thicker neck profile (compared to earlier SGs) which were found on these years.

Oh, who's Angus? ;)

14. harpmaster

harpmaster Senior Member

Actually the first few month of 1969 were good too before they changed hands and they switched to a 2 piece neck also. My 69 has the 1 piece neck and the bone head that had it sold the 12 of 68 pots out of it Arghhh it was finished in 69 and has a B stamped in the controll cavity 69 is the only year they had that

15. backfromcali.

backfromcali. Senior Member

Anybody knows how many of them had been produced?
    I can't find a single one.

16. Core

Core Senior Member

Hey guys just wanted to say hi and share a new purchase. Seems to be a cool transition period SG from what you've all gathered. The information here has been invaluable.

Been looking for an SG off and on for a few months, always wanted one since two of my three all time favorite guitarists (Pete and Angus) use one and they are so distinctive in sound and looks. Been doing a lot of research in hopes to get the best one I could find for me for a decent price.

Looked at new ones, early 70's, mid 70's and any others that peaked my interest. Even considered customs as I am mainly an LP Custom player and really never considered rosewood UNTIL I actually started playing the early ones. Also I figured if I am going that route let's get the one that really is the definitive SG. The Standard! 1971 and earlier.

Went around to a few local shops just to get a feel for them as I know vintage guitars just better and have so much more playability to me. My cream Norlin custom can attest to that! Tried out some very expensive 64-65's that felt great but not quite there for me (not to mention could never afford), a 67 that was still out of my league moneywise but after playing just didn't cut it. Had some dead spots, felt good neckwise but wasn't an OMG I have to have it feeling.

Went to another shop which had 4-5 65-69 Standards. Played them all but the one I gravitated to from the beginning, a beautifully dark cherry player but complete no issues was the one that jumped out in everyway. Had to have it and made a deal right there. Price was right in the lower to mid pocket as Solo has pointed out and in my budget. Was able to get them down only $100 but was very stoked at the deal. The neck was incredible, so easy to play and just felt perfect in everyway. Has some nicks and some weird ink stain on the back but just sweet. I sat with it for a good half hour playing. Picked up the others and immediately put them down as there was no comparison to the feeling I was getting from the 69.

So back to the main point of the story. Seems from all of your research this one may be a transition period as it has the distinctive '69 heel but has the neck of a 68 and earlier. Meaning no volute which is fine by me. Will post pics once I pick it up. Have a couple from my iphone which I can add later but couldn't wait to share.

Cheers!
    Cory

17. Gun E. Slinger

Gun E. Slinger Junior Member

Exactly what I was thinking as i looked at the pics,
    it is quite interesting, I never noticed till I read your threads, now it's the first thing i look at.

18. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

This heel is what killed the late 60's SG's for me. Why they switched to it I will never understand. It's thick and bulky and just feels completely unnatural playing the last frets. About as comfortable as a 2x4 with a fret board glued on lol.

The heel just before that one, the one from 66, 67 and early 68 is the only long heel/joint I ever liked. The narrow nut, the 14 degree headstock, the chrome hardware, the T-tops I can deal with all of that no problem, but throw this heel into the mix and its game over can't do it. This is why for me I will never buy any SG made after 67 (or early 68 with the 67 heel).

Anyways.... thats just me. I'm a picky S.O.B. I guess :laugh2:

19. Gun E. Slinger

Gun E. Slinger Junior Member

There is always the 70 and 71, My 70 heel is nothing like that, does have the pencil wide and thin neck though, gets a little crowded down low sometimes.

20. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

My bad, I guess I should have stated what I meant a little more clearly. What I really meant, was that the ONLY long joint/heel that I like is the 66/67 Early 68 heel/joint. Once they switched to the heel/joint pictured above it all went down hill for me. I don't like the later versions either.

NOT saying they are bad guitars at all. They can sound KILLER and are beautiful. All one has to do is crank up some early AC/DC to hear how killer they can sound. Its a feel thing for me though... Its just not comfortable.

I'm more concerned with the feel of the heel/joint area than the size of the nut. Feel wise my favorite SG that I own is a late 65 named Ruby. Its just about perfect and just feels "right". Huge chunky neck front to back and just below 1 5/8 at the nut. And she rings like a freakin bell and can NAIL both the Clapton woman tone and the Angus tone. She really is the best of all worlds.

Not to go off on a tangent, but people always talk crap about the narrow nut Gibsons and I agree some of them are too skinny but this one feels a little wider. Plus, if the neck is fat front to back they can feel REALLY nice (like this one). I also find some 'wide neck" Gibby's a hair too wide and give me more problems. Not all, infact most do not, but some do. This one is right in between and just about perfect. Here she is....

[​IMG]