A quick, effective mod for a BOSS SD-1

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by gibsonguitar1988, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Senior Member

Removal of C6 does two things to my ears; it removes the top end fizz and makes the entire EQ more useable. The C6 cap is part of the high pass filter - this does exactly what the name implies; it passes only high frequencies. Removing the cap allows full frequency pass through and improves the sound of this pedal IMO.

It is neither a bright nor a dark pedal. . .it is the only TS (ish) pedal that I have ever kept on my board long term.

2. jmiller475

jmiller475 Senior Member

I'll have to get a SD1 and mod it and try it out. I already have a Luther I use with Strats so this might be what I need for Les Pauls.

1 person likes this.
  3. kboman

kboman Senior Member

I did this mod awhile after I got my SD-1 and it turned the pedal from a waste of money to something quite useful. Highly recommended!

1 person likes this.
  4. scoobyzjr

scoobyzjr Senior Member

I had my SD-1 Keeley Modded and I love it.

5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I want to know more about the switchable mxr ? Is it something with only a few models? I know there are 2 colors of the pedal... Can the switch be moved on top?

6. jmiller475

jmiller475 Senior Member

The switch is in both versions of the MXR OD. The pedal is excatly the same except the color. You can't move the switch but you can add a mini toggle switch to it. I'm sure you can find the mod on the internet somewhere.

7. Belvedere

Belvedere Senior Member

I've done a lot of mods on my SD-1 (I'm an electrical engineer and those boss pedals are easily alterable... so figure out), they are like a training workbench to me.
    Last mod I've done on my SD-1 is the last one in this page (well I've modded it so many times that probably now it's more a mix of them rather than just one :D) and I'm very happy with it now. SD-1, once modded, it's really a great pedal.

8. jmiller475

jmiller475 Senior Member

I've listened to various demos of a stock and modded SD1, I think the modded ones can hold there own with some boutique pedals out there.

9. WJBGuitar

WJBGuitar Junior Member

I am new here and I want to share my experience on modding my SD-1. I liked the pedal in its stock form, but I always felt that:
    1 - It sucked too much lows from the humbuckers on my Les Paul, and
    2 - It was not able to generate a crisp tone for playing rythm.

After reading tons of information on the Web about how to tailor the SD-1 for different tones, I decided to mod it like this:

1 - C3 was increased to 0.1uF (indeed, I soldered another 0.047uF in parallel to the existing one, resulting in 0.094uF)
    2 - C6 was removed completely

The result is an SD-1 with its basic characteristics kept, but much more transparent to the original tone of my guitar, with a perfect presence of lows at the output and able to deliver a much more open, crispy sound (for when I need it). My feeling is that the whole gain of the pedal was increased too (probably because more lows are allowed to pass through) and the tone control is much more effective, providing flexibility to tailor the tone for different uses. For example, I can get much cooler tones out of it for playing the blues now, compared to it before the mod.

I was a bit afraid of opening the pedal and breaking it while trying to work on the circuit board, but now I am happy I left my fears apart and did it! I love my SD-1 even more than before!:dude:

10. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

1 person likes this.