A quick, effective mod for a BOSS SD-1

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by gibsonguitar1988, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Mantis

Mantis Senior Member

if i clip out C^ does the pedal get more crunch?

2. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

I thing what is going on is that by removing the cap and eliminating the "fizz" the pedal is simply more usable and you are able to crank the gain up and have it sound good without the "fizz."

gibsonguitar1988 likes this.
  3. Mantis

Mantis Senior Member

yeah it's better than stock with that C6 gone.
    gibsonguitar1988:
    i got the mxr classic od, nice pedal, i never flipped the switch on the inside though, to see how it changes it.

4. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Bingo!

5. gibsonguitar1988

I'm not sure what the default setting is but one is supposed to sound like a GT-OD and one is supposed to sound like the ZW-OD. I like the GT-OD better myself but I'm not sure what the default setting is on the classic OD.

6. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

yeah all my boss pedals are japanese made till about 3 years ago i didn't even know there was a difference.had a lot of people say how good my ds-1 sounded and asked what mod i did but i'd have to tell em its just stock

7. Mantis

Mantis Senior Member

i'd say mine sounds like the GT-od opposed to the ZW

8. gibsonguitar1988

Yeah then I'd say the GT-OD is the stock setting - which it should be IMO. I had the Wylde ZW-OD and wasn't too impressed with the way it sounded.

9. gibsonguitar1988

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbtWZIw9Buk]‪Modded BOSS pedal‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a quick demo of the SD-1. My cheap camera sucks as it's a but muddy but if you turn up the volume on the speakers it sounds better.

I go through a bit about the mod at first, so if you want to skip to the demo/playing skip to 3:30 in.

10. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

can i safely ignore this thread and concentrate on my MXR Badass '78?

probably not. :( :thumb:

Rhust and gibsonguitar1988 like this.
  11. gibsonguitar1988

I envy you though - now I want a Badass '78.... :D :thumb:

snaredrum likes this.
  12. slowpokerhino

slowpokerhino Senior Member

I know this is a dead thread but I just wanted to chime in. I recently picked up a used SD-1 for $30 and did the c6 mod and it is now my main OD.
    It has replaced the Zendrive that replaced the Timmy that replaced the....you get the idea.
    I really think this one is it.

BTW, How you doing Austin? It's been quite a while since I've been around here.

2 people like this.
  13. gibsonguitar1988

The SD-1 with the C6 mod is indeed a killer pedal. It really is fantastic. It removes my only complaints with the SD-1 in stock form, which is muddiness and lack of clarity. You do have to set the tone control more conservatively afterwards, but you get lots of clarity in return. I think that is definitely the best 50 bucks and under low-med gain OD. I'd take it over a Bad Monkey any day. I never was impressed by that pedal. And if you want to take it further and mod it into Ibanez TS808 specs you can, but to be honest the C6 mod is good enough for me especially since I use it as a travel pedal.

I'm doing ok. Thanks for asking. :) I have my good days and bad days. My hip arthritis is really starting to bug me and becoming increasingly problematic. I will likely have a bilateral (both) hip replacement before I'm even 40. In fact, if it keeps going at this rate, they are going to have to do something sooner rather than later. Not to forget my back with the same problem (arthritis and disc problems).

I'm going on vacation and leaving Saturday and going to Memphis and Nashville and I am hoping to do some gear buying in Nashville so I'm pretty stoked about that if I do say so myself! :D All in all it was a good week. Joe Walsh's fantastic new album came out, I got to see a live streaming of a show he did, and of course the fact that I'm leaving on vacation is nice. But sometimes I can't help but to get sick of the boredom, loneliness, and pain. But what can I do!

So I keep playing and being a gearhead! :D I'm really into my SG these days for some weird reason. That, my 65amps Ventura, and my Klon Centaur clone are putting a smile on my face. I'm getting into some country Nashville type stuff so I'm trying to get that modern country rock tone.

Glad to see you around these parts again! I hope you are doing well. I noticed you mentioned a Zendrive - I'm actually halfass PASing for one right now. I used to hate the famous "Dumble" tone but it's growing on me and I want it. The Zen seems to have that thing down with more thickness than some other Dumble type pedals I've seen. I was so close to buying a Freekish Blues Alpha Drive when they were first announced as I thought it was the best D style pedal I heard. Of course that whole thing came out about them being modified Joyo Ultimate Overdrives and I never got it. If I could find out what the mods were to the Joyo, I'd go that route as the Alpha Drive I do love the sound of.

14. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

Man, I feel ya! I broke my back, blew out a bunch of discs and trashed my right knee, elbow and shoulder. It really sucks to be so young and in constant pain. And to make matters worse, these are all degenerative problems. They rarely get better. Only worse. I've been dealing with it for about 6 years now. I hope you get some relief or at least have a nice vacation!

15. gibsonguitar1988

Mine started because of growth hormone injections that a doctor told me I needed to live - when I didn't. Only to find out he was getting a large kickback from the drug company for prescribing it. I found out later on that it was not necessary as I was tall already but it made my bones grow so fast my body couldn't catch up. Of course the doctor went out of practice "for emergency reasons" right when we found out the truth. We tried to get a lawyer but they thought it wouldn't be successful. He was an old doctor too, probably 70+. An endocrinologist. I am thyroid, cortisol (adrenal), and hypopituitary deficient but I did not need growth hormone as my body is super sensitive to it and overreacts to the tiniest dose.

But it caused me to develop premature osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. My dad has it and I would have likely ended up with it in my 50s, but not now. The growth hormone just sped up the process.

Thanks! :)

16. slowpokerhino

slowpokerhino Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear that Austin. I wish you all the best and hope you have a great vacation.
    Next month my son and I will be spending a week with my mother in Mississippi. Always nice to visit the ole Miss.
    I've been dealing with the joys of divorce. Had to sell my Les Paul. Times are hard but the future looks bright.

17. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

Interesting thread. Austin: Always appreciate your posts and perspective. I never knew all that going on but thanks for clarifying. I wish you all the best. On a positive note I have a co-worker, a mother in law and my own mom that have had hips/knees replaced. The science gets better every day on that. By the time you get around to doing it...it might be an outpatient procedure...I hope.

I have always had a love/hate with Boss pedals. I like some of the newer boxes and post here frequently about the Bad A** Powerstack and the Deluxe 65...but I had written off the SD-1 for all the reasons mentioned. I had the use of one back in late 80s because a drummer in my band had one and I needed an overdrive. The thing was the worst sounding shrill and fizzy pedal I ever used. Now...I might search one out and mess with it. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  18. Batman

Batman Senior Member

I've done this mod to my SD-1 and it is the most used pedal on my board.

Great pedal once modded. . .

19. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

I hate to hear this. I have little faith in doctors from my personal experiences, but am even more critical of them now.

On a lighter note, when I'm laid up with pain, my pedal collection grows exponentially! I really have to avoid pain meds too, as thats when my eBay account see the most use.

20. jmiller475

jmiller475 Senior Member

So after the C6 mod it got rid of the fizzy distortion? Does it have plenty of low end or is it a very bright pedal?