A quick, effective mod for a BOSS SD-1

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by gibsonguitar1988, Aug 6, 2011.

1. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Hello all!

I just today acquired a BOSS SD-1 Super Overdrive as part of payment for my computer services to a buddy of mine who owns a guitar shop. I decided I needed a pedal for travel that I could plug through any amp and get overdrive as it's a part of my style that I can't do without. So I told him to just put that pedal down as part of it.

Now I am known for my BOSS hate and the fact I think they are super fizzy and digital sounding. Well, I had planned on just using this pedal for a pedal I could just throw in the bag and play when I couldn't have my boards with me.

On the way home, I got to thinking about doing some mods to this pedal and trying to bring it up to boutique specs or rather just a good sounding natural overdrive. So I did some reading when I got home about a SIMPLE mod that involves clipping the "C6" capacitor and getting rid of it completely. I ended up doing just that and boy let me tell you, it was like another pedal after. It was a high pass filter cap that was a cap that tried to control the treble.

This mod COMPLETELY removed that digital fizz I hate so much, fattened it up, and also added clarity at the same time. It made it sound like a Tubescreamer on steroids. Very fat and juicy without the mid hump (which I like in my Tubescreamers as I'm a TS lover). It made it sound like a completely different pedal that'd I'd pay a LOT more for had it been in a different enclosure. :laugh2: This mod also improved the sweep/taper of the tone pot/control. The tone control becomes very sensitive and has a lot of bass and treble depending where you set it. I set the tone straight in the middle, drive at 3 quarters, and level a little less than half for a nice juicy crunch.

It became SO good, I decided to put it on my gigging board for good and it's going to stay there. :D I was blown away by how it completely fattened up my Strat and made it sound so Gibson-y yet retained that Strat quack. My favorite position (on a Strat :naughty:) is the middle+bridge combo. It made that position sound fat yet still quack and cluck just like a good Strat should.

So now I need to find another overdrive for my gig bag overdrive since I've added the DIY modded SD-1 to my main board. I'm thinking the GC-exclusive MXR Classic Overdrive or a Digitech Bad Monkey. Both around the same price. I'm leaning towards the MXR because it has two modes on the inside, one emulating an MXR GT-OD and one emulating a Zakk Wylde OD. I love the GT-OD side. I prefer the MXR's non-active EQ for whatever reason. I like passive EQ's.

Just had to share my success story. Looks like I'm going to have to eat my words about the Super Overdrive. I also love the OD-3 completely stock and hope to get one someday as I've played through them with great success.

Rhust, SrDeMaFp and TommySixGun like this.
  2. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

That's kool man! I did a TS-808 mod on an SD-1 and it rocked! The mod gave it symetrical clipping too. The tone control was a little more "dialed in" on both Les Paul and Strat. But of course, with the Strat, I had to turn the tone knob to about 9 o'clock. But I loved it. I let my buddy play through it. Now, it's on his pedalboard! LOL

gibsonguitar1988 likes this.
  3. NoStatic

NoStatic Banned

These are a great and under rated pedal straight up. Ive done the Monte mods on one for fun, and it made a good pedal a much better pedal. They pretty much are a TS....

One annoying thing about the SD1 is the ghost artifact when off. Does yours do this? Its a convoluted fix, but there is one for it, if you can be bothered.

4. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

is this a japan or taiwan made one?

5. gibsonguitar1988

Taiwan.

6. gibsonguitar1988

To be honest I'm not sure what this is but it doesn't sound too bad when it's off compared to when its out of the chain completely. If I was any good with soldering or electronics, I'd be tempted to do the TS808 mod as previously mentioned. For now, the C6 removal by itself was a huge improvement. But it could be a bit better but it certainly is not going anywhere. I'll play around again with it tomorrow and try to figure out if it has that problem or not but I don't think it does.

7. NoStatic

NoStatic Banned

Sorry- turn the gain up, and the pedal off. Quite often with the SD1 you can hear an artifact of the drive effect coming through. (Or dont- once you can hear it you cant unhear it and will drive you nuts)

8. gibsonguitar1988

I will try that out. I have the gain set to almost 3 quarters of the way up right now.

9. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

so... you just got rid of capacitor 6 right? is that all?

10. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

If you need another overdrive and are happy with the modded SD-1, why not snag another $39 SD-1 and clip the cap?

Unless its a "variety is the spice of life issue" which of course I understand! :)

11. Mantis

Mantis Senior Member

yeah... is that what you did? did you de-solder it?:hmm:

12. gibsonguitar1988

Yep guys - all I did was grab some clippers and clip out capacitor C6. The site I read told me to clip it since you will never need to put it back in again. And I can't solder/desolder worth a crap either. But clipping it worked - I have no problems (so far).

13. gibsonguitar1988

I might do just that! It's going to be between that or a MXR Classic Overdrive. I will have to try one out in a Guitar Center as the MXR is a GC exclusive pedal.

14. ehamady6

ehamady6 Senior Member

It's a very modifiable pedal. I did the Monte Allums TS-808 mod (green switch) and 2X Volume Boost mod (red switch) to my SD-1. Great mods, too bad I've only used the pedal less than an hour since getting the MXR Fullbore Metal. I'll be selling it soon as I'm getting an AXE-FX II. Hope it finds a good home.

[​IMG]

gibsonguitar1988 likes this.
  15. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

Cool. I almost had a buddy of mine go grab me one of those ODs as we do not have a GC here. However, I had to splash some water in my face to kill the impulse! With 2 KOTs, I am set for OD. Like a kid in the candy store, the impulse is still intense! Glad to be able to say that after 25 years of beating on these things!

Gives us a report when you check it it out! :thumb:

16. gibsonguitar1988

Yeah I want a KOT very badly.... But I'm not going to pay the eBay prices. I'll just patiently wait til my name comes up. And since I just got on the list, it'll be awhile LOL.

17. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Senior Member

so you are getting rid of the "digital fizz" in an analog pedal?

hecube likes this.
  18. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

from what I understand with boss pedals a lot of the mods & kits you can get are only for the taiwan models.is this correct?

19. gibsonguitar1988

Yes. All stock BOSS pedals have a fizz or digital sounding harshness that is in every BOSS dirt pedal except the OD-3. I can only describe it as fizz. Most people can also tell they are fizzy and have that harshness to them. I realize they are analog, but the fizz makes them sound like a digital pedal. I hate digital stuff and modern digital effects and processors with a passion - I'm very old school. Analog all the way with individual stompboxes, old school Gibsons, Fenders, PRS, etc, and clean one channel vintage style amps and also old music. That's where the good tone comes from. I can't stand modern technology and music. I prefer 70s/80s American Rock mostly with some occasional British stuff and blues. I find most boutiques and other mass produced pedals (MXR, Way Huge, etc) to be of a higher quality than a stock BOSS pedal. But I have found that this SD-1 with my cap mod sounds like a very nice juicy Tubescreamer on steroids.

20. gibsonguitar1988

I think so. I'd like to try an MIJ SD-1 sometime. I had an old BOSS MIJ Compressor/Sustainer once and it was much nicer than the current CS-3.