A question for the pickup builders...

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by rockinlespaul, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

And I will state that even in the absence of real knowledge and experience, the temptation to be seen as the cool, cynical, edgy guy at the end of the bar who can be counted on to tell you the secrets that...(dramatic pause) they don't want you to know...is too much to resist for some.

2. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

I wish I didn't have to post this, but when I'm mischaracterized to this extent, you obligate me. I do have knowledge and experience. The fact that it's not the same knowledge and experience others have doesn't mean it's not "real knowledge or experience".

A rather common phrase that seems to encompass prevailing thought about guitar pickups is "everything effects the tone", and the subtext to that is that everything has a distinct effect on the tone. That might not seem like a controversial phrase, but it's a very lofty statement.

Let's just take one example, setting aside inert materials, such as the plastic the bobbin is made out of, and considering instead something that has an electromagnetic interaction; how the turns-per-layer has an effect on the tone. What known consequences arise from the way the wire is layered on the coil? There is a consequence in terms of inductance and capacitance. If the wires are layed more uniformly, they will magnetically, or inductively "link" more efficiently, creating a higher inductance. The flip side is that the wires also capacitive couple more efficiently. These same issues apply to inductor and transformer design as well. So we have inductance and capacitance, what else might we be missing?

Inductance and capacitance certainly effect the tone, but not uniquely so. You can also alter the capacitance by literally puting a capacitor across the pickup. Or you can modify the inductance without adversely impacting the capacitance by increasing or decreasing the permeability of the coil core.

So a pickup is more simple than many make them out to be, in that many of the things that can change the properties of the pickup do not change it in a particularly unique way. There is room for variety, but given that there are fewer fundamental properties at play than there are design points to be manipulated, the variety is just not as vast as people wish to believe.

But people say they hear a lot of variety, the heard experience somehow confirms that the dry scientific analysis must be wrong. There's a lot of room for error in human perception. The fallibility of eyewitness testimony is proven time and time again in court rooms where people swear one thing happened until evidence is brought out that shows things happened another way. The fields of psychoacoustics, and psychology in general, are still very young in the grand scheme of things. They can't necessarily tell us why we make mistakes, but they can certainly establish that we do.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  3. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Can the mods please lock this clusterfuck. Please stop fucking up my threads.

4. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

This thread was locked yesterday. Why is it open again?