A question for the pickup builders...

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by rockinlespaul, Dec 20, 2017.

1. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

You don't think?

That's only just even more solid evidence that you, once again, try to make believe that you're capable of lecture other people about things you know absolutely nothing about. Just like everything you've ever written, specially in this very forum. You just can't help yourself, can you?

That, my friend, is the very definition of B.S.

For the record, just by looking back of your past posts, collectively show all the symptoms of somebody suffering from Narcissistic Personality Disorder, with unhealthy doses of Pathological Lying and last, but not least, seriously affected by the "Dunning-Kruger effect".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathological_lying
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

The best part is, nobody needs to take my word for it. By following the links I've provided, any interested part can learn the definitions of the three conditions and compare'em with the content of past posts of this individual, and see for themselves where and if the "shoe fits", so to speak.

Have a good time!

2. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Burn!

mdubya and northernguitarguy like this.
  3. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

I'll ask on another forum. Thanks.

Who and Wolf ^_^ like this.
  4. rockinlespaul

Antigua.... I do appreciate you wanting to help. Thank you.

Who and Antigua like this.
  5. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

Or you could just go back and read James' post on the subject and take his offer to fix it at no charge (unless you really want to do it yourself). James is well known for great pickups and great customer service - as well as being an expert on pickups.

6. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

This....

cooljuk likes this.
  7. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

This is something any mammal walking the face of earth worthy of having opposable thumbs would be able this without breaking anything. Yet, you even dare to GIVE ADVICE in how to do things that you, by OWN ADMISSION, were NOT ABLE TO DO PROPERLY. And you LOVE to be considered an expert on everything guitar pickups?

Dunning-Kruger much?

8. rockinlespaul

If I knew where it was, I suppose I could do that.

9. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

If you're a DIY type, I'd say this is the sort of thing that is easy enough to do that it's worth doing yourself, you just got go a little slowly so you don't break away the connecting wires, or punctures the taped coils. It gives you a practical excuse to open up a pickup and see what's going on inside. You could even swap the magnet while you're at it.

10. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

Here you go below, man. I you want to send it in, I'll take care of it for you for free. If you want to do it yourself, I'll gladly walk you through it if the info below doesn't cover what you need. info@re-wind.net or 202-246-0147

Mods - No money is changing hands here. Please let this offer of a personal favor for a respected member stand, despite my vendor status. Thank you, kindly.

Fred, I sincerely apologize for muddying up your thread while again correcting Antigua. This fellow has a long standing history of giving bad advice and many of us have been asking him to cut it out, or at the very least preface it as his own theory, before trusting people make bad decisions with their gear, or even damage it, and it's become a point of frustration around here that he continues to ignore these requests.

rockinlespaul likes this.
  11. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

As I've said, I don't like going off topics, but in light of the repeated and unprovoked attacks against me, the only fault they could find with my post was mistaking a wire type. The more probably issue here is I that when technical discussion comes up, I reiterate my stance that pickups are very simple, and most of the variety people claim to hear is psychoacoustic, or psychologically motivated, which people take offense to, but it is the view that I hold. Agree or disagree, that's definately not the topic of this thread.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  12. 60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI

60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI Senior Member

James' word is gospel to me....

13. rockinlespaul

Here I thought everyone, or at least James, deleted their posts because I couldn't see them....

Somehow he was on ignore. How the hell that happened I have no idea unless I accidentally hit it somehow using this phone of mine, which is very easy to do. I am constantly hitting the wrong thing using my phone... it's very annoying!

James I apologize for not replying earlier and I also want to thank you for the offer! Very nice of you but you should be reimbursed for your time. I will shoot you a message later tonight or in the morning. Again, many thanks!

Btw, it's not one of yours. It's a Gibson burstbucker 3.

14. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

The coil lead wire is typically 28 AWG and 7-strand. Not easy to break that. The actual 42 or 43 AWG coil wire itself is easy to break. If you yank or twist the start coil lead, you won't break it, but you run a high risk of breaking it off from its joint with the coil wire and that coil will be dead and gone.

(crickets...)

Probably most of you already know this, just trying to clear the smoke summarize for the uninitiated.

mdubya, copperheadroad and DarrellV like this.
  15. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

I agree with the magnet wire spinners here ,Lead wire IMO never breaks . pulling on the or tampering with the lead wires can cause the lead wire to break from the magnet wire . I don't recall ever seeing a fail in the lead wire itself (which all has been stranded wire ) unless the winder is using CAT5 .lol
    Merry Christmas James,David,Pepe, & everybody else including Antigua .

16. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

And I’ll keep repeating peacefully but firmly that my own experience since I swap pickups (IOW since 1981) disagrees.

The idea that simple components imply simple effects is a fallacy. There are millions of people making bread, cheese, wine or beer in the World and most produce different flavors with the “same” basic ingredients.

Psychoacoustic is certainly to keep in mind but evoking it to explain most of the tonal differences perceived with guitar pickups isn't convincing at all : it seems more a reflex denying reality that a productive reflection helping to understand it.

Objective Science would search in the pickups and their functions how to explain why people hear them as different. And it should be clear that tests showing no difference might make obvious two kinds of limitations :
    -those of the pickups tested;
    -those of the rig/experiment/tester.

IME, it’s possible to capture the “nuances” making tonally different transducers with similar specs. It just requires to take in account other things than LRC specs and resonant peaks.

Last but not least, what makes people take offence is to see someone promoting his personal POV as the Universal Truth, each time it’s possible, with such an insistence.

@ Rockinglespaul: sorry for the OT, it didn’t come from me.

James (cooljuk) is not only a friendly and nice guy but also a great artisan, offering top notch personal services without stealing his customers. Like most boutique winders and guitar tech here, he’s the contrary of a snake oil seller, to get rid of an unfounded commonplace - anyway, when people act like crooks or trouble makers here, they quickly end banned, no?

Santa, please, could you not change all plot theories in a positive and humble willing to respect and help all human beings?

It was my Sunday stance. :)

I wish you all a merry Xmas.

DarrellV, cooljuk, kboman and 2 others like this.
  17. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

This^^^^^ Thread owned! :thumb::applause:

18. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

... nothing I've ever said.

Who determines what "reality" is, in the context above?

A difference perceived, not necessarily heard. It's like you're saying "if you can't tell me what planet the UFO I just saw came from, it proves your telescope is inadequate." Such a statement presumes that you actually saw something from another planet, and not a weather balloon, or a frisbee.

I've not said a pickup could be 100% characterized in terms of RLC filtering.

It seems you do much the same thing.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  19. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

Any reader will know what to think of this sentence. :)

Now and if ever it’s still not clear : from day one, I’ve tried to share with you supremely useful things like openness to self criticism and consciousness of potential epistemological traps – like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect_(physics). :)

Out of that (or rather because of that)… nobody won’t force the jumping frog to play the role of a negative “mirror image”... nor of an enemy in a self-justified online crusade (which is derailing this thread as it has derailed many others before), especially today.

I wish you a merry Xmas, full of love & happiness!… :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    cooljuk likes this.
  20. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

Merry Christmas to all of you. Antigua, as well.

copperheadroad likes this.