A question about tone.

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Jackangus, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

How do you guys have your tone sitting when you are playing?
    Up till now I have had my volume and tone at 10. Which is apparently not right.

I have watched a few vids, and they seem to say volume at around 7 and tone can be as low as 5.
    Of course this is all very subjective, I would love to hear what you guys think.

This could be a stupid question, but here goes. If I am playing at neck position and I have my tone at 5, is that the same as having the bass at 12 o'clock on an amp? And same with bridge position at 5, would that be like having the treble at 12 o'clock on an amp?

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

There is no right and wrong.

A lot of people on this type of forum (and other places) will be playing blues only. They will be old school with an amp which is only clean if you roll the volume back. So they will set up their tone differently to someone who has a clean channel.....or used drive pedals into a clean amp.
    Not only that, but for heavier rock you will need more cut, and often players will more likely be using bridge pickup for rhythm and lead, and only going to the neck for a ballad for example.

Then you add the variety in pickups and amps and players......and you suddenly realise how utterly foolish it is to be recommending specific settings when you know little about the player or the rig. But still people like to try it.

3. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

Says who?

If you want to play like that, then play like that.

I just twiddle the knobs on the amplifier until it sounds right to me, then vary the sound of the guitar by twiddling the knobs on that thing.

Job done.

mmd, bulletproof, ht-57 and 2 others like this.
  4. Warlag

Warlag Junior Member

Play with them and what ever sounds best to your ear is the right one!

5. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

Lose the numbers as a reference.Close your eyes.Reach down and play.Twiddle the knobs.Don't look at the numbers.Find a spot you like,that your ears like.If your amps volume is low,you will have different settings when you turn it up.Once you find the sound you like,then look at the numbers,to benchmark your preferences.That's how i do it.And sometimes i change them.

bulletproof likes this.
  6. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I usually set my guitar's tone and volume to 10, put it on the bridge pickup, and adjust my amp to the point where it is the most biting I would want it. Then, I switch pickups and/or adjust my volume and tone to get whatever sound I may want at any given time. It's more natural for me to have the benchmark at the extreme and tone things down as needed. It's easy to take things down, but it's hard to bring them up to just the right point where it's got a load of bite without being earpiercing. Just the natural way I do things. YMMV.

mmd, bulletproof and DarrellV like this.
  7. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

set Volume to 8.3215
    Tone to 6.56789

Seriously, as those above have said, it all depends. I depends on guitar, amp, amp settings, genre, song, etc. Often they will be changed during a song for different reasons.

Scotheath and bulletproof like this.
  8. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

There is of course no right or wrong, though I think the reason it is so common to have a tone knob set at 10 is because that's where many people have the tone knob set when setting up there amp.

Often, with the bridge pickup selected. So you pick the most treble sounding pickup, and then set the tone knob to maximize treble (high end) and adjust your amp to that.

I might actually label that as being wrong. The reason is once you do it that way, the only adjustment to the tone knob is less high end and since you started at what you think sounds good, this then will sound muffled or muddy. This is is also why many people never use their neck pickup because it will be much more muddy at this point.

You basically start with the guitar set to the maximum treble (high end) settings, set your amp. So there is no where to go but less treble or a darker tone. I speak from experience on this. When I was young, 30+ years ago, I couldn't even figure out why there was a neck pickup. What was the point. Everything sounded muddy using the neck pup. Who the heck would use that?

I now dial in my amp using the neck pickup. this generally means the amp tome controls will be adjusted to create more high end. Though knowing I'm on the neck pickup, I don't expect to get the brightest and sharpest tone. Just a good tone that is not muddy. Given this, then in some situations going to the bridge will be too much high end. Becoming a bit tinny and harsh. But now I can roll back the tone knob and get whatever I want.

Often I use the middle position and adjust the volumes of the neck and bridge (talking Les Paul type controls) and this works great at controlling the tone. If it is a bit too bright, I dial back the bridge pup, or increase the neck. Or the other way around if it is too dark. If I can't get what I want that way, then I go to just the bridge to get maximum high end or just the neck to get less.

Bottom line, if you dial your amp in with the guitar set to maximum high end, there is no place to go but darker using the guitar controls. Set the guitar to something more in the middle, like neck pup, with tone on 10. And you now leave yourself room to get brighter or darker using the pickup selector and tone knobs.

Jer, mmd and cybermgk like this.
  9. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

I set my amp for a good clean tone with a little bite when I dig in. I don't need to mess with amp settings going between Les Paul's & strats. I use different pedals for drive tones & am always playing with the volume & tone depending on the room & my ear at the moment. There is no correct setting, only what works for the moment.

10. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

You mean those knobs go to 10 ?

11. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Some go to 11!

bulletproof and RichBrew like this.
  12. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

I've got one that goes to 20.

bulletproof likes this.
  13. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

there are lots of different variables, but generally I'm in the ballpark you mention here: volume rolled back to 7-8 for rhythm (10 for solos) with the tone somewhere between 5-8 (sometimes 10 for the solos)

bulletproof likes this.
  14. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Just use you ears and set the controls to what feel is the best for you. Playing with your setting will offer you different dynamics.

bulletproof likes this.
  15. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

+100...this right here. Forget the numbers and use your ears,brother:cheers2:

kiko and freebyrd 69 like this.
  16. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

LPs will dirty-up nicely at certain volume settings, depending upon the amp. Strat volume should always be at 10. My opinion, of course.