A lesson On Compression

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Feb 22, 2018.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

Since we all have various compressors at our finger tips, I thought this might be a great watch from Rick Beato

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Compression is THE VOODOO in any mix (excluding classical music). I'm a compressor junkie! Jeez i even find myself listening to the news and thinking about the compression ratio and release time on the broadcaster's mic lol!

I've built my own LA2As, Fairchild 670 clone....I have a pair of 1176s and a pair of LA4s along with a Manley SLAM! in the mix rack.
    My point is....you can't have enough compression....and just as important, different flavours of compression!

On some tracks I will use multiple compressors....for a vocal track for example I will use an LA2A which is gentle, you almost can't tell it's doing anything.....just makes the track sound bigger. Then into an 1176, this is where the edge and crush and mojo comes from. Then often I might even add another compressor plugin in the DAW. It's interesting to use many compressors all just compressing a little, as opposed to one compressor set for heavy compression.

For drums I love the 'New York' or parallel style of compression. Where you send signal to a comp via aux bus, so you don't actually alter the original signal, you just add the compressed sound to it.

And of course mix bus compression. This is where it gets dangerous. Loudness wars are stupid. But some comp/limiting on the stereo bus can make the track glued and pop....you just have to be very careful to avoid crushing the life out of the track by making it too loud (therefore destroying dynamic range).

Using compression in mixing is fascinating!

AllTheSound, Stuff and frankv like this.
  3. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I really enjoy this guys videos. Ever see the one where his son demonstrates perfect pitch? Amazing.

frankv likes this.
  4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

Yes. And I love his "what makes this song great" series.

kfowler8, mgenet and Rocco Crocco like this.