A happy short story...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Mockbel, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Tuesday morning... a friend of mine sent me a couple of pics of his ash body fender standard strat.

IMG-20170925-WA0000.jpg

He wanted to trade it with a double humbucker guitar. Immediately i spoke to a friend who is in a local community for fender lovers... i asked him if anyone is interested and has something to trade...

Tuesday midnight... this friend sent me a pic of this MusicMan Axis which is available for this trade.

received_10155427131597489.jpeg

Wednesday morning... i sent the pic to the fender owner.. he liked the guitar and told me that he will contact the owner.

Wednesday night... i received this pic..
    IMG-20170927-WA0000.jpg

Deal done !!

Now what is the impact on me?
    1. I am happy for my friend
    2. GAS is at maximum!!!!!!!!

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Awesome!! That was cool of you to set up the deal.

NOW....when are YOU gonna get your Jackson, lol?!?!

3. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

hahaa.. i messaged the guy yesterday but no answer yet.. i just asked whether the guitar is still available to try :)

4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

right on!

5. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

What about Jackson SLS3 ... I hate how the headstock looks !!!! but the specs are very promising !

I may check one today..

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

The SL3 IS a step up. It's neck through, most were made in Japan (if I remember right). I played several over the years, and they play great. The come with Duncans.....

Yeah, check it out!!

Mockbel likes this.
  7. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

IMG-20170925-WA0000.jpg

That is sexy fine. :shock:

Mockbel likes this.
  8. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Checked it today... it is SLSMG .. it is black and MIJ
    Neck-thru, strings through body, mahogany body, ebony fretboard, and.. EMG pickups :(
    Pickups may make me pass on.. it is also 50% more in price than the DK2M ... I agreed with owner I will think and get back to him :hmm:

9. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Dude, I had a trans red SLSMG, it was a beast. I pulled the EMGs (hate them, too). I put in a Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. It made for a very articulate instrument.

In the Jackson range, the SLSMG was a $1000+ Japanese guitar. It was a very well built/designed guitar. It's appearance is an acquired taste, but the tone is killer.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  10. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Soooo.. should I pull the trigger?
    I need a little push :Ohno:

11. mmd

mmd Senior Member

You keep looking, and you want a certain quality level. In this case, the SLSMG is the BEST one you have mentioned....WAY better than the DK2M, in my opinion. Swapping pickups is easy. Play it, and if you like it - get it. It IS a quality guitar. Plus, there is no Floyd to contend with. It is a comfy guitar that is light weight but toneful. The woods are "good" - I like the mahogany/maple combo. The ebony board is nice too. The guitar should sound "balanced".

If you get it, but have to wait to change the pickups, a common mod I used to do before swapping out EMGs, was to flip the position - the 81 is usually in the bridge, the 85 in the neck. I would move the 85 to the bridge, and put the 81 in the neck. I would lower the 81 as far as I could and bring the 85 up a little. It brightens the neck sound, and darkens the bridge....

Mockbel likes this.
  12. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

@mmd
    Couldn't find a Jackson yet... started to give up :(

Seems like i will land on this.. played it yesterday and it was cool (for heavy metal)

Ltd EC-401 (made in Korea)

unnamed.png

mmd likes this.
  13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Sweet. The ESP/LTD line has pretty much usurped Jackson in the "metal guitar" to have. A killer Jackson cannot be beat, in my opinion....BUT, FMIC diluted the line too much and has made finding a KILLER guitar hard too do - especially in the used market. All my Jacksons were AKAI-era USA made and were AMAZING instruments for a killer price. FMIC doubled the price on USA Select guitars....too hard for me to accept after buying graphic USA Select Jacksons for $1499USD, buying the same with fewer color options for $2999 was a no go for me....

Anyway, that is a nice guitar and I am glad you liked it. Hopefully it will fill your needs!! Enjoy, man!

14. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Thanks for the info... spotted this one too.. same specs but different shape and passive pickups !
    received_10158483038285174.jpeg

mmd likes this.
  15. mmd

mmd Senior Member

@Mockbel

I am old fashioned, lol...for metal, if I am not playing something pointy it HAS to be a "super strat". I would be all over that MH. Not that there is anything wrong with the EC, I just prefer the MH.

Before getting my first Jackson I was playing an ESP MII Deluxe. That was a neat guitar...

Either one would be cool!!

Mockbel likes this.