A guitar naming and more upgrades...

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Assault Bacon, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Assault Bacon

Assault Bacon Gold Supporter

A while back, I picked up a 2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II in goldtop. As I posted previously, I gutted the electronics, replaced pots and wiring - eliminating the onboard boost system - and wired it 50's style.

Later, I replaced the rotted bridge, with a TonePros TOM bridge. While I was doing that, I upgraded the tuners to Grover 18:1 kidney-style rotos and the stoptail to a TonePros as well. All hardware is now nickel instead of chrome.

A few weeks ago, I ordered new pickups. I wanted to try Bare Knuckle Black Dogs and found a set with double-cream bobbins for what I considered a bargain.

I installed them the day after they arrived... and sadly, rushed the job. By that, I mean I don't know how to solder well in the first place and ended up not only with a mess, but a bad ground or cold solder somewhere.

Last weekend I decided to do it right. Braided, shielded wire, a bit of heat shrink, new switch, 500k Mojotone pots and oil caps. I watched a shitload of videos, practiced soldering, and took my time. It came out sounding great.

I feel strongly enough about this guitar now that I named her... Mae West. I think Mae West was just old-school sexy.

Here's photos of her, I can take photos of the wiring later if anyone is interested. Excuse the crappy cell photos, please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Those are great guitars as a base for upgrades and it sounds like yours came out nice!

I did all those upgrades to a 2013 Cherry Burst Trad Pro II myself. It's my favorite Les Paul!

3. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

4. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

LOVE IT!!!!! Gold Tops with double creams just look sooooooo sexy! Well done. And I’m a huge fan of BKP (never had their Black Dogs, but the Mules I have are the best pups I’ve ever had).

5. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I named my guitar, too. Les Paul.