a gibson deluxe serial verification

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by 1969 weatherman, Sep 26, 2017.

1. 1969 weatherman

1969 weatherman Member

got you hardcore...guess I will pass . the seller is just in another planet.
    cheers !!

2. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

That headstock repair is really ugly in the sense that those splice jobs always are, but, it looks solid and smooth to the touch. It's professional in that sense. Some carefully color-matched spot overspray would help (and I'd do that, where it's still semi-visible, vs. the typical dark, near-opaque cherry overspray). Ugly routes suck, but, as long as they're fully covered with the humbuckers in place, who cares? Aside from the damage and pickup mods, this actually looks like a pretty clean Deluxe that still has all its finish on the neck and back and no big dents/dings/chips. I suspect somebody could eventually get $1k for it as-is with simply better pictures and a thorough description where a prospective buyer doesn't have to resort to soliciting guesses from internet experts, lol. $1,800 gets you into break-free guitars, though. Are the pickups in it any good? At least it hasn't had five sets of tuners on it, each with a different mounting pattern -- that always bugs me.

1969 weatherman likes this.
  3. 1969 weatherman

1969 weatherman Member

thanks kakerlak...the pickups are a no name brand and so are all the electronics ...prob put in there to sell the guitar but the guitar (wood LOL) itself feels and sounds great.
    guess I could a 1000$ but the seller is really stuck up on his price (he told me he picked up the guitar in the states as original and he didn't know any better so he kind a feels screwed).

4. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Damn -- that sucks. Looking at having to swap pickups (and pots, etc) is a bummer when what's in there won't get you any cash back. If it had a set of decent pickups, you could always sell them and buy whatever you liked and, especially if you bought used, come out fairly even in the end. If it really is a clean guitar, aside from the break and changed stuff and you think it's a keeper, it might be an okay deal at $1k. You could always toss out an "honest offer" and then tell the guy to give you a holler if he decides he wants to take you up on it. Might be the kind of thing he comes down on after he's had it out there a while. Best of luck, either way -- there'll be others.

1969 weatherman likes this.
  5. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

Remember that Gibsons outside the US cost a lot more than they do within the US - and if the pic website is anything to go by this one is as far away as the middle east, not a place where 45 year old Gibsons surface on a regular basis, i'd assume.
    That does influence price.

In Denmark you'd be looking at at least 12-1300 USD for that husk - and while the neck break was fixed in an ugly manner, all you need to do to get a good player out of it is to slap two pickups of your choice in it, provided the ones in it sound crappy...

kakerlak and 1969 weatherman like this.
  6. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

According to serial number, headstock shape, neck heel shape etc i would say its most probably mid to late 73. :) Stay away...