A Christmas story (LP related)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Spacetape, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Spacetape

Spacetape Member

Hello all, First of all I'm new to the forum and very impressed with it's content. So our story begins in June 1980, graduation day from high school. (yes I really am that old) So, that Saturday myself and my band mates were all looking to purchase new instruments as graduation presents to ourselves. On the ride out to the Hollywood Guitar Center we were throwing out names such as Fender, Gibson, Kramer, Ludwig, etc.. my rhythm guitarist even mentioned Cort... :shock: Now keep in mind we were a high school band playing rock star at the time, playing mostly back yard party's.
    So we arrive at the famed GC first time for all of us..
    Walking around we are noticing that "real instruments" are friggin expensive. but 10X the quality the we were all using at the time. I think I was using a Hondo LP copy at the time. So as I was taking it all ion I came across the Gibson's and found myself drooling over a real Les Paul goldtop standard at a staggering price of 1400.00 2 hours later, my friends all had gotten their new toys and I was still stuck, I had played Strat's, Peavey's, a nice PRS, but could not get that goldtop out of my head. So I pulled the trigger. More than twice what I had expected to pay, but it was an investment right ?
    Flash forward to two years and 3 bands later, I'm now in a band playing on Sunset strip places such as Gazzaris and the Wiskey a go go, you get the idea... All of a sudden playing a Les Paul was not cool anymore. People were playing ax's such as Charvel, Washburn, Dean, oh and some lil company no one ever payed attention to until that guy with all the stripes on his guitar started taking over the rock world.. Yeah, Eddie Van Halen.
    So, all of a sudden around the summer of 1982 everyone was now using Kramer's and it was the "style" people were still using Gibson's but not the hip "too cool kids" Giving into peer pressure I stupidly sold my gold beauty for penny's on the dollar just so I could continue to play in my band and accepted by the other musicians in the scene. So, now with 600 dollars in my pocket I bought a black Kramer pacer, a nice guitar but literally half of what my goldtop was. (ok, go ahead and say it.. you were a friggin idiot)
    Well as all bands eventually do, we broke up about a year later. I had been playing in bands for the next 20 years with different guitars, mostly Kramer's and a Strat here n there but I always had kept a very special place in my heart for LP goldtops, after all it was my first real guitar.
    Are you still with me..... ?
    So to make this long story a bit shorter, today on the way back home from work I stopped by a local music store just to pick up some strings for my Musicman, and there she stood... :wow: She was beautiful, sitting on a hanger behind glass, the top display case lights bouncing off her gorgeous gold body. A brand new 2013 Les Paul. I lost it... I mean I really lost it...
    The salesman must have seen that I had cold sweats because he offered to let me play it, an hour later of making love ( not figuratively lol ) to this beautiful instrument. I thought to myself, well the kids are out of the house, the wife divorced me I'm buying myself a Christmas present dammit. So Ladies and Gentleman, please allow me to introduce " Goldie " This one is not going to leave my side... ever.

[​IMG]

2. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

[​IMG]

Welcome and congrats on "Goldie"

3. jsa61

jsa61 Senior Member

Welcome and congrats on a beuty!

4. catmandu

catmandu Senior Member

Welcome to the show, She's a beauty!!!

5. keiffer76

keiffer76 Senior Member

that is awesome! she beautiful!

6. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I know I have a problem with run on sentences!

7. Groove Toad

Groove Toad Banned

Welcome to the festivities :cheers:

8. irishstu

irishstu Senior Member

Great story. HNGD!

9. Electroman67

Electroman67 Senior Member

Great looking axe & welcome to MLP.

10. Kenny Davidoff

Kenny Davidoff Senior Member

Welcome to MLP!