A 12ax7 To Give Smoother Tone?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Classicplayer, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Norton

Norton Senior Member

I have a hard time believing you'll get that amp to smooth out much.

It's entire purpose is to make loud distortion out of a tiny box.

moreles likes this.
  2. kook

kook Senior Member

Try a 12at7 or 12ay7

3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

The 7025WA suggestion is excellent. Those tubes are generally very reliable and balanced in tone. I much prefer them to 12ax7 tubes, the vast majority of which are noisier, fizzier, and more distorted (not in a good way) than I can stand. I like distortion and OD tones from good pedals, or power tubes, and do not want preamp tube distortion, period. You may want to look into modding the circuit itself, if you're capable of doing that work safely. I don't have your amp, but have a heavily modded Pro Junior that is my workhorse. One of the major changes I incorporated in that am was to improve the tone, and eliminate spiky, brittle highs via a few simple component changes. There may be some good info for your amp on the web. Changing the OT can do a lot for your bottom end as well, changing the balance so that the highs are not as dominant.

4. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

I use a NOS Mullard/Rogers 7025A. Awesome tone.

5. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

I have to admit that there's a bit of truth to the Micro Dark being designed for high gain, but I've found that running amp volume much higher than the gain knob, there is a "generic" clean, but not really exciting. I've also found if I keep the amp's volume and gain knob about equal to each other and using the shape knob for adjustment, I've found an attractive Orange "chime" going on. Is this the "old" Marshall vibe many speak of?

So. I replaced the 2-year old stock JJ preamp tube with a new Mesa 12ax7 that I had been given. What a difference! Gone is the spikeiness and replaced with a really smoother clean and gain, and yes, the Orange chime is still there. Now, my clean is really not generic; it still has some character to it.....just so much smoother.

I was jonesing for Dark Terror or an Orange OR15H for my PPC112, but I've put that on hold for the foreseeable
    future while I explore new tones. Tube rolling does have its merits.

Classicplayer

6. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

NOS. Mullard.

rockinlespaul and Kris Ford like this.
  7. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

This..it has 4 gain stages.

If ever someone needed to try a Tiny Terror, it's classicplayer..tellin' ya man..THAT is what you want. :)

8. CGH

CGH Member

Have experimented quite a bit with my Friedman and Fender Deluxes trying to get some of the graininess out, although I realize that may not exactly be your goal.

I have a lot of NOS tubes to play with, and have found the NOS Mullards to be very noticeably smoother than most all others, while still providing similar gain levels (not as low as any 5751 version, for example).

Don't know your amp, but this worked well for me.

good luck!

9. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

Old Mullard and Brimars have nice 3D midrange, very airy, smooth and big sounding tubes.

irocdave12 likes this.
  10. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

Fwiw,i have a tube driven pedal....Butler Real tube,that was originally loaded with a 12ax7. Very grainy,with alot of distortion on tap. After reading about substituting for a 12au7 to smooth it out,i tried it.Wow.It worked beautifully. Just another thing to try for the OP.The amp will be quieter,since its small,it may not be ideal,but worth a shot.Turn up the master.

11. clintonior

clintonior Junior Member

I'm going to try a Curtis Mathes long plate in My fender super champ X2HD.

**Just an update this arrived and really opened up the amp. Improved clarity is noticeable, also Now I enjoy the super sonic ch 13 much more.
    I have the Fender Super Champ X2 HD and run it thru a Marshall AVT 412 and its immense sounding. I wonder how close my super sonic (modeled) 15W is compared to a super sonic 22w.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  12. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

This.