_MIJ and/or Replica__Les Paul comparison thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by reborn old, Apr 26, 2012.

1. UITA

UITA Senior Member

I've got a few MIJ and Gibson LPs and to be honest they're all the same. All have a single cutaway, two volumes/two tones, a three a side headstock, glued in neck, inlays, bound fingerboard and body. That's my comparison, I'll try and be more specific about their similarities soon.

3 people like this.
  2. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

If they are all the same to you, honestly, why own about 100 of them, when 2 or 3 would do ? :confused:
    Are any of your Customs all mahogany ?

Just asking, because I'm really torn when faced with selling one,
    only because they are all quite different, each with it's own character, appearance and sound.

3. tonebone

tonebone Senior Member

UITA is from Wales and that is Welsh humor, reborn. It sorta makes you laugh without laughing, if that makes sense.

As for 100 guitars, that's a sickness that some guitarists have. James Patrick Page also has it, as well as many guitarists. A wonderful sickness, I might add. There's another member here that has the same problem. Forgot his name, I think he lives in California.

I've noticed a trait with you and jacco, reborn ... you guys never crack jokes. Whats up with that?

4. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

OUCH !!! .. :shock:, :wow:.... :D

Actually, some say I'm pretty funny in person, but humor on forums often doesn't translate well.
    So yes, I purposely avoid making comments that can be easily misconstrued. YRMV

OK, back to comparing guitars... instead of people... :)

1 person likes this.
  5. pdoodek

pdoodek Senior Member

yes, but one shit can smell better than other ;)

6. MrGansburg

MrGansburg Senior Member

Ah, there's nothing quite like mass generalisations... :confused:

Onto guitars, I only have one MiJ at the moment, a 2004 Epiphone Elitist '61 SG (Faded Cherry), but am expecting a Bacchus GT anyday now and will post back when I can do a proper comparison.

7. tonebone

tonebone Senior Member

It's just a personal observation from comparing Monty Python, Benny Hill to Second City TV or Saturday Night Live - back in the day. I always thought UK humor was somewhat different from Yank humor is all.

Sometimes humor doesn't come across well on internet forums, I totally agree!

Anyway, wish I could afford a replica. :)

8. MrGansburg

MrGansburg Senior Member

No offense taken, and I agree that UK sense of humour was different to the US's. Although I don't think that difference is so great now I'm not sure how the more surreal stuff (see below) would go down, but then again if you like Monty Python... :thumb:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIuZmv1E-H4&feature=related"]Green Wing - Dr. Alan Statham Recorder Dance - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8-3ghXWtfY&feature=related"]Green Wing Season 2 Eps 3 - Alan Statham HD - YouTube[/ame]

9. UITA

UITA Senior Member

I think Monty Python and SNL are the same to ;) I have nearly 100 LPs (close now) because I'm a hoarder and an addict. What I mean to say is that it's hard to tell you the difference between LPs beacuse no two will be the same and therefore by saying my Terada Orville has this or that attribute may give someone the wrong impression.

Before you know it I have an internet hate campaign, familly are put into hiding and I've had to changed my name by deed poll.

ALBATROSS!!!! ALBATROSS!!!! ON A STICK

2 people like this.
  10. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Not to mention how many you would be comparing...:)
    Cheers.

11. Gabriel

Gabriel Senior Member

I have an R8 plaintop and an Edwards E-LP-92 SD with Antiquities.

The gibson feels less slippery in my hands and more organic because of the nitro finish. The Edwards can take a beating and it's got a wider treble range.

I play the Edwards more because I can just throw it on the couch or against the amp (I need to get a stand that is suitable for a nitro guitar to keep the R8 out of the case).

I really wish my Edwards had larger frets like the R8.

I can't see myself getting another Les Paul again. At least not a carved-maple top one. They are the most beautiful guitars but I feel better playing a tele or a Jr/Special with the flat top and wraptail.

I really don't like the effort you have to put in to get your string radius to follow that of the fretboard with the tun-o-matic.

12. emptyisvarah

emptyisvarah Senior Member

Ah so which one's the replica? :)

13. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

and/or... so all Les Paul comparisons are welcome :)

14. emptyisvarah

emptyisvarah Senior Member