97 Epiphone les paul maple body and neck?!?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Norton, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Norton

Norton Senior Member

Got it. I'm not around the guitar now. But I'll try to grab a pic like that one It's pretty well painted up but I'll scrape some of that away in the neck pickup cavity.

Guitarcheology!

the end grain sure seems to carry through to the back of the body at every spot. I'm pretty sure it's one chunk of wood. The grain is pretty characteristic of maple too. The top cap? No clue. But I'm guessing basswood. Because it's soft. Flame Veneer ? Yes it is.

61lpsg. Is yours a saein build? The I Is a saein factory code isn't it?

2. Norton

Norton Senior Member

3. MikeySixStrings

MikeySixStrings Junior Member

I've got a '98 Saein and it has the same neck tenon as yours. As for wood types, I'm not sure. It's a Custom so it's painted and I always assumed it was mahogany.

I have an older (~1990) Samick Epi Les Paul and it definitely does not have a mahogany body. I believe it's either alder or basswood. It's very light in weight and color. My buddy had an early 90's Birdeye Maple top Samick Epi LP and it also had the same light weight and color body wood. But my '92 Samick Epi LP has a mahogany body, so who knows???

Pickups are shit. Change them unless you only plan to play at low bedroom volumes. At any sort of band practice or stage volumes they squeal and feedback something fierce. I don't think they started using the better pickups until the early 2000's, shortly before switching production to China.

4. Norton

Norton Senior Member

Alder!! Thats a possibility.

I found those pickups to be super microphonic already. They are amazingly impressively horribly microphonic.