95 MiK Epiphone Les Paul

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by dcav1987, Aug 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dcav1987

dcav1987 Junior Member

Hey everyone, I am new to the community so I apologize if this is a very common/stupid question - so be gentle [​IMG].

I acquired a Made in Korea Les Paul that an old roommate of mine left behind after moving out.

The guitar (serial: s5038221) looks to have a birds eye maple top in a natural finish. The headstock just reads “Les Paul”

I haven’t seen or found anyone really talking about these anywhere that I could dig up. I’m really just curious as to what the specifics of the instrument are such as:
    • What type of wood is the body/neck constructed of?
    • Is the fingerboard actually true rosewood or is it some knockoff imitation wood? (it might just be me but the grain almost looks fake although I usually play maple necks so maybe I am just ignorant.)
    • What’s the actual model name of this guitar? I don’t see it printed anywhere on it.
    • From what I gather the guitar was made in March or 1995 at the Samik plant in South Korea? (ref: https://www.themusic...al-number-guide )

I've already ordered:
    • Gotoh TOM bridge + Aluminum Tailpiece (in metric sizing)
    • 4x 500K Emerson Pro CTS Pots
    • A .015uF cap for the neck tone control and .022uF for bridge tone control. (to keep the neck from getting too muddy)
    • Switchcraft 3-way toggle
    • Switchcraft output jack
    The frets have cleaned up well - (i hit it with some music nomad frine fret polish which got most of the gunk and tarnish off). Probably needs a fret leveling and re-crowning too.

Thanks much.

Attached Files:

2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Hi,

welcome here @ MyLesPaul-forum

this is what we know from the Epi-Wiki:

Les Paul Classic Birdseye
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Epiphone Les Paul Classic Birdseye Maple Top
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• 1994-1998
    Body:
    • Mahogany body
    • Alder cap
    • Birdseye maple veneer
    Neck:
    • Set mahogany neck
    • Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays
    • 22 frets
    • 24.75" scale
    • 1.68" nut width
    Binding:
    • Single-ply body & neck
    Electronics:
    • Open coil Alnico Classic & Alnico Hot Humbucker pickups
    • 2 Vol. 2 Tone controls
    • 3-way selector switch
    Hardware:
    • Chrome hardware
    • Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece
    • Amber bell knobs
    • Elevated pickguard
    • Epiphone Deluxe vintage-style tuners
    Colors:
    • Natural (NA)
    • Trans Amber (TA)
    • Heritage Cherry Sunburst (HC)

3. dcav1987

dcav1987 Junior Member

Very helpful thank you!

Now that I know the fretboard is actually rosewood i can add some lemon oil to clean it properly without worrying about damaging it.

One other thing I have wondered - should I add copper shielding to the inside of the control cavity and pickup cavities? I know that interference isn't as large of a problem with humbuckers - it currently doesn't have any shielding anywhere.

4. scrumm21

scrumm21 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Welcome to MLP !! Early MIK Epi's are fine guitars.... Love my '01 MIK Epi Les Paul ! Enjoy....

5. dcav1987

dcav1987 Junior Member

Just finished up the wiring and hardware installation this morning. Honestly the hardest part during this process was finding replacement bushings with the proper diameter to match the OEM bushings that were made of cheap Zinc.

I did a bunch of hunting and eventually found FaberUSA makes high-quality steel bushings for these weird metric import guitars.

The only thing I haven't replaced on the guitar are the tuning machines and the nut. I'll probably upgrade the tuning machines at some point as the OEM ones are a little loose and feel kinda junky IMO.

Just waiting to get it back from the shop after a good professional setup and fret-leveling.

Can't wait to actually hear this thing. It's been neglected for far too long.

Attached Files:

6. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

It's not necessary on a Les Paul, and have AFAIK never been used been used by Gibson or Epiphone. That said I've seen some Samik made Epiphones with coal shielding paint.

7. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Gibson never used shielding paint in the control-cavity
    Epiphone does it for many years....

8. dcav1987

dcav1987 Junior Member

Makes sense. I went ahead without the shielding and am not experiencing any hum I wouldn't expect so thanks for the tip.