90 deg.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fti, Oct 3, 2017.

1. fti

fti Member

Hiya folks,

I'm still finishing off my Flying V builds.

While I'm waiting on the nitro to harden, I've decided to give a go on my own design. Unfortunately my creative mind still needs to develop where it concerns guitar bodies. I just get the feeling that most would-be beauts have already been designed or tried and failed. So I thought I'd go square. How wrong can you go? :)

Anyhow, I had some fun with PPT and designed a box. I deliberately didn't want to make a copy of a Gretsch but something more Gibson-esque. The drawing is not to scale, but it's my point of departure for further adjustments and refinements. I also want to start filling in the technical specs. Some basics:

* 17 degrees Headstock
    * 3~4 degrees Neck angle (angled heel or body?)
    * Bigsbsy (which one would I need? V7)
    * p90s
    * rectangular f-hole
    * Wood?
    * Fully bound (is that a phrase even used?)

[​IMG]

Suggestions and thoughts are welcome. At the moment, I'm really wondering about what wood to use. As I'm not decided about the finish ~ I'd love to do a tobacco sunburst spray.

2. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Looks cool. Cigarboxesque.

I'd recommend a slighter headstock angle. I like 10 - 12 degrees personally.

Cheers Peter.

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Would you think the top should be carved/sculpted, or the whole body simply a squared off block? I can certainly see the merits of both approaches. While the block would be cool in it's own rite, a carved top would add a WT holy F aspect to it, though the construction and especially the binding could be a bit more complicated.
    Interesting Concept! Think of the shape three dimensionally instead of just the straight on perspective of the above drawing?
    Gene

4. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Better round over all those 90 deg. corners. Its impossible to build up lacquer on a sharp point :)

5. fti

fti Member

Lol... it does very much look like it. There's no real reason to go with 17degrees, but I think I'll make that decision after I finish designing the headstock and whether I can even incorporate a slotted headstock.

I was even thinking a carved top. Sounds very interesting. I'll toy with that idea some more, thanks for that! I welcome build challenges as I'm still learning the trade. I figured that the most challenging aspect of this next build would be the inlays as I haven't done one yet myself. But now I can potentially add a carved top with accompanying binding to the list :)

Thanks! That's a very good point (pun intended :p). I hate finishing. My current Flying V's are literally giving me a run for my money as I need to purchase more and more nitro cans. I'm kicking myself for not having taken more effort with sealing the grains.

Thanks for the comments you guys.

6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

The biggest reason folks "hate finishing" is that they are still cutting corners in their process, which leads to a low level of satisfaction for their efforts! Once one bites the bullet and follows all the steps "religiously" the finishing process can become satisfying, rewarding and even fun! Well......, all except for that whole "WAITING for paint to dry" thing!

Just Sayin'
    Gene

7. fti

fti Member

You're probably right, but it wouldn't be because I was intentionally cutting corners. Strike it up to inexperience and the abominable thirst of woods such as Limba. I know I'm headed in the right direction because I actually enjoyed the hours of sanding that accompanied this whole build :)

8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I dont hate finishing. I hate finishing the finish :)

Masking, applying color, shooting lacquer, etc. Is all cool.

Finishing the job, ie: sanding and buffing is a tedious PITA. Theres zero fun to be found there for this guy. YMMV :)