90 Day Fitness Thread: Day 1!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by PNB92, Jun 5, 2013.

1. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

My home gym is intentionally sparse: a set of power blocks that go to 50lbs, some dumbbell handles for going over 50, an easy bar, a chin up bar, a jump box and a bench.
    But, no bench no problem.

And for leg day these work well, especially the step ups.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  2. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

Thanks, Mikey! Good information in all three videos. I'm actually subscribed to Athlean-X and I've watched quite a few Buff Dudes videos. Thanks for posting, those exercises are all great options and very helpful.

3. danohat

danohat Senior Member

Screenshot_2017-11-19-07-24-03-1.png
    My modest home gym. Been working out here for about 5 years.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  4. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

No problem. I'm a mile away from a full gym so I don't need a lot of gear at home. Also learning how to get a good workout with limited weights and equipment has helped when traveling and the hotel may be less than fully equipped.

5. NewDayHappy

I have a membership to Planet Fitness but the more alternatives I have the better. The thing that bothers me with PF is that it's always packed, have to wait for machines etc. The only time you can get a good workout there is really early in the morning or really late at night. I'll keep my membership there because it's only $10/month but 95% of the time I want to workout at home and slowly acumulate gear over time.

6. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Finished my first week of the bildozr program a little late, but it felt good. Especially getting to try some new things that I haven't done before, like t-bar rows and back extensions.

7. bildozr

bildozr Deliberately Obtuse V.I.P. Member

Cool man, threw your week 2 on the spreadsheet.

8. NewDayHappy

Got in a nice leg workout today, better than expected, did it right at home to and I'm on fire.

- Lunges x3
    - Stiff legged dumbbell deadlifts x2
    - Hip thrusts x3
    - Kettlebell swings x1

I couldn't go anymore. I know that's pretty low volume but I felt completely broken down in a really good way.

Edit: Forgot to say, I went to failure on every set. 16-18 reps minimum.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  9. danohat

danohat Senior Member

Nothing kicks my ass more than stiff leg deadlift. I am sore for 3 days everytime.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  10. NewDayHappy

Stiff leg deadlifts are my go to for hamstrings, hip thrusts are my go to for glutes, still searching for a nice quad exercise.

11. danohat

danohat Senior Member

Why not squats and deadlifts?

12. NewDayHappy

I was thinking about throwing some squats in there. Maybe next time. The lunges and kettlebell swings hit my quads the most, they're fatigued but I did not hit them as hard as I'd like.

13. danohat

danohat Senior Member

I got a bad knee. I do heavy deadlifts twice a week and bodyweight squats and lunges. Can't do stiff legs anymore or weighted squats.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  14. bildozr

As a weightlifter I don't bench. There's a lot of reasons why, but mainly related to overhead mobility in the Snatch, Jerk, and front rack position in the clean.

So I benched tonight for the first time in a year. Worked my way up to 2 plates before I got pinned. Feelsbadman.jpg

15. NewDayHappy

Lost another 5lbs, starting to get jacked again. Legs are starting to get lots of separation, which is good because my leg workouts have been brutal. Need heavier weights, I have 15-30lb dumbbells, plan on adding a pair of 50s in January and pyramiding up to 60s, then I'll probably fill in the 35s-45s. My sleeves are hugging, when I lose another 25lbs I will look like an NFL linebacker. I haven't lost any gains after taking 5 years off from training, muscle memory is a real thing.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  16. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Week 3, day 2 of my current program.

Thought I was supposed to be squatting, so since I had set up for that, I went ahead and matched my 1RM of 235 to see how it feels now. Definitely at little easier.

4x3 bench @ 155. Barely got the last rep, but it felt good.
    5x3 deads @ 225. Plenty easy, but my grip still sucks.
    5x5 t-bar rows @ 100-110. Was fine, but I started feeling a pinch in my shoulder, so I stopped there.

Finished with a lap around the gym with a 45 plate in each hand to help with grip.

17. bildozr

I'm excited to finish this cycle. What comes next is gonna be fun.

18. NewDayHappy

That sounds brutal! Good job on the progress, you're coming along pretty fast! Keep it up buddy. Good news is, once you pack on the muscle, it won't go anywhere, keep that in mind. I stopped training for 5 years and I'm nearly right back where I was after 8 months of training. Your body never wants to get rid of muscle, it will always burn fat first.

What's coming next and by cycle do you mean steroids or your training split?

bildozr likes this.
  19. bildozr

nah mang, I'm not on the sauce lol.
    Spoon is following my programming at the moment, which is what I was referring to. Working through an initial program, then comes the volume cycle.

Aside from that I'm starting LSU's weightlifting programming Monday. It's kind of an off-season program. Not a lot of Snatch or Clean & Jerk. It's mostly strength related, but tailored to weightlifting. But I've been working through some sickness and injury the past couple of months. Has completely thrown off all my programming. I've lost a lot of strength, and speed. Time to reset. Then who knows what I'm running next, but the 500lb squat is coming this year.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  20. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Hey all,

Just getting back on the horse over the last few weeks, after another long fatty fat head hiatus. Been doing upper/lower split with a kettlebell finisher each day,including off days. It's kinda been amazing so thought I'd share the idea. The kettlbell program is 1 set of 50 swings every day. at first this is quite brutal, but my lower back has turned to iron! and my grip strength is vastly improved. I'm using the 55lb bell at the gym right now, and plan to work up to my 70lb bell at home. I think with this continuous practice in the swing I'll be ready for Dan John's 10,00 swing challenge in another month or so

My current inspiration: