90 Day Fitness Thread: Day 1!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by PNB92, Jun 5, 2013.

1. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

You don't have a doorway for something like an Iron Gym bar?

2. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

My ceilings are really short and I'm 6'2 so that doesn't help. :laugh2:

3. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Ahh. The ceilings on my first floor are 9 ft with very tall, open doorways, so they're perfect. I'm 5'11" and if I grab onto the bar, I can barely have my feet flat with shoes on.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  4. Shred Astaire

Shred Astaire Senior Member

Ok guys, i went to that class at Orange Theory today and my ass was thoroughly kicked!!!

I burned 995 cals and kept my heart rate above 85% for 37 of the 55 mins. My whole body is rubber.

The training that led the class was really good. He took me in early and gave me a lowdown on all the equipment and what to expect in the class since its fast paced. Then everyone came in and we went like gangbusters. The trainer kept coming over to give me advice on form, or to simply ask if I was ok hahahaha. I had to take a few breaks but I really pushed myself. I burned the most calories of the 15 people there. :)

And I signed up for the unlimited package so I can go as many times as I want each week. This could be good as long as I don't stop going! Thankfully this place does not do a year contract or whatever. I pay by the month and just have to give 30 days notice to "quit".

It was a good first experience for me. It was really hard but I wanted to keep up. :)

danohat likes this.
  5. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

PM'd

6. bildozr

bildozr Deliberately Obtuse V.I.P. Member

Cool man, I'll work on it over the weekend.

7. bildozr

Barbells are life my friend. If you want advice on a homegym, I've got you covered. I had a pretty gnarly setup, now it's all on loan to my gym, because I live in a tiny condo. lol If 1k is your price range I can point you in the right direction.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  8. NewDayHappy

Do you have any good ideas for back and leg exercises?

9. bildozr

I'm a firm believer in Squat, Bench, and Deadlift for general training. Then the accessory work builds from there.

For back, I like the pendlay row. Pretty much any rowing variation. For lumbar stuff/posterior chain Romanian Deadlifts, and the Glute Ham Raise are my favorites.

Legs, Squats are king. Period. I squat so friggin much. Front squat, back squat, overhead squat. But that's because of my sport, it revolved around Snatch, and Clean & Jerk.

My typical training day is pretty funky compared to most people's. I rarely bench (like haven't in 3 months), and deadlifts are limited to variations of the first pull of my lifts.
    My typical day :

10. NewDayHappy

Jesus, those power cleans look brutal. I don't have that much space for Olympic style movements. I plan on going from 15lbs dumbbells all the way to 80lbs (maybe 80, definitely 60lbs). I have a nice post where I could probably do a myriad of exercises with some exercise bands. I can't do the barbells squat like you suggest, maybe I can do some goblet squats with a weighted vest, dumbbell and exercise band around my thighs. The deadlifts I could probably do with dumbbells, probably stiff legged deadlifts. Let me know if you can think of anything else, I'm still clearing out space, I'll post pics of my setup in a few weeks so you can see what I'm working with.

11. bildozr

I'd recommend some kettlebells if barbells aren't a thing honestly. There's some awesome stuff you can do with them. Look up Pavel, he's the king.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  12. NewDayHappy

Thanks, that sounds cool and rather inexpensive to boot.

13. Shred Astaire

Shred Astaire Senior Member

I went again. Burned almost 1000 cals in 50 mins. I hurt.

14. danohat

danohat Senior Member

I'm a fan of dumbbell handles and weight plates. You can get weight plates pretty cheap used.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  15. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Day 1 of the bildozr program, and I failed... But this seems like a great program to push me to try harder.

Squat - 4x3 at 200 lbs
    It was hard, and I struggled on each of the 3rd reps, but I did it.

Bench press - 5x5 at 140 lbs
    It's been several weeks since I've benched with a barbell, so I had a feeling I wasn't going to make it. I should have grabbed a spotter, and I might have been able to squeeze out an extra rep each time.
    Got 5, 4, 3, 3, 3

Facepull - 3x10
    Did 52.5, and then 2 sets of 57.5

Hammer Curls - 3x10
    Never usually do curls, so I didn't know what to start with. Grabbed 30s, and was fine for 10. It was hard, but felt really good. But I burned out to quick.
    Did 30x10, 25x5, 25x4.

bildozr likes this.
  16. bildozr

Good work man. Not a failure. This is where autoregulatiom comes into play. Some days stuff doesn't move like it should. If you can't hit the numbers, back off and go for quality reps. They're more of a guide based on percentages I want to keep you at for rep ranges. I don't want to burn you out, and I don't want to miss reps. Good work on grinding it out where you could. Well get an idea of how you respond and make adjustments from there.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  17. NewDayHappy

Hey, Bill. I traded an solid state amp for some Kettlebells and let me tell you, those things are kicking my ass. Only did shoulders so far, tomorrow I'll do swings and squats. Phew weee.

bildozr likes this.
  18. bildozr

One of my sub-scapular muscles is torn up, lots of scar tissue. Doing halos with the kettlebell helped a ton, but now I'm doing some mace work with it instead.

Look up Pavel's Simple and Sinister.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  19. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

My wife bought a treadmill. I got a good workout from carrying it upstairs... I thought it would come in 2 or 3 pieces, but no. 103 pounds all in one assembled unit.

20. NewDayHappy

So now I've got 3 pairs of Kettlebells ranging from 10, 15 and 20lbs and I got some dumbbells coming in the mail ranging from 15, 20, 25 and 30lbs, I know it's not a lot of weight but it should get me going. I'm looking into building a tricep pushdown machine, how hard can it be? All it is is a pully attached to a rope and weights on the other side, I'm pretty sure I can build that. I'm in dire need of a bench but my money is dried up already, hopefully in a month or two I can get something solid. I'd like to mat my floor to prevent putting any dings in it, shouldn't be that expensive, my workout space is a modest 36sq ft but it's a nice space and I think I can really work with it.