90 Day Fitness Thread: Day 1!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by PNB92, Jun 5, 2013.

1. WholeLottaIzzy

WholeLottaIzzy Senior Member

The hardest thing about going to the gym is trying to take my shirt off to have a shower after. It's more of a struggle for life itself.

2. WholeLottaIzzy

WholeLottaIzzy Senior Member

Well I've been going to the gym around three times a week fairly consistently since November. I have put on some noticeable muscle but not as much as I thought I would. So I've bought myself some Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass weight gainer. I have a pretty high metabolism and have always been able to eat whatever I like without putting on weight. Good if you're wanting to not get fat. But it's making progress hard, so hopefully this will kick things up a notch. I started it on Tuesday and was 171lbs.

3. VerbalPuke

VerbalPuke Senior Member

I'm going to start a new program where I squat everyday. I saw it over at bodybuilding.com and a friend at work that is a fitness junky did it with good results.

The idea is to squat every day. Heh, it's a 30 day thing where you do squats before anything everytime you hit the gym. I do leg days, but I just really don't want to be one of those guys with a big upper body and pencil legs.

4. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

I've mostly been biking lately. Found a new path I can go from my house, and took the bike to a couple parks this weekend.

Hit the weights tonight though. Mostly squats and deadlift.

5. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Lots of running still...

I am 20 days out from the Sprint race and 97 days out from the Beast (Spartan races)!

For the next 3 weeks I'll be doing a lot of strength movements focused around calisthenics and compound lifts. every other day full body and moderate volume (this will vary depending on how I'm doing with the weight loss and injury prevention). I'll be using my kettle bells exclusively for this, as the weight is fixed and I can track reps and total volume... I am trying to increase work capacity for these races. the "days off" in between are running and hiking... I live in a very hilly area and there is hiking all around here. the goal is to keep it fun and enjoy the process.

By the way, for any fat folks out there, I'd recommend tracking progress by the day, rather than weeks or not at all. honestly my success hasn't really taken off until I realized how close I was to a 14 mile trail run with obstacles :shock: Counting down to a challenge and goal by the day will remind you that every single day counts! What you eat, what you do, and how much you get that important sleep.

By the way, this week I lost 7 pounds! that's obviously too much but hot damn if you pay attention you will have success! I know it's OK to eat a bit more now because that was quite a shock this morning.

So, um... yeah. Track everything you do or you're short changing yourself. accounting will guarantee success. I am just now figuring that out :laugh2:

6. matthew bear

I feel I should clarify... I obviously did not lose 7 pounds of fat. Mathematically I would have to eat nothing for a week to have that result! I did however eat really basic food and I ate the same damn thing all week. I believe I have eliminated something from my diet that was perhaps inflammatory? All I know is it was rice and veggies all week and I definitely de bloated quite a lot. I did not restrict calories either, just rice and veggies as much as I wanted. This would alarm some people, but the strategy behind it is to re structure your relationship with food a bit. I will re introduce more whole plant foods as time goes on but all processed foods are out for now... which is kinda boring but I have a pasta addiction that I needed to kick :laugh2:

7. VerbalPuke

VerbalPuke Senior Member

I was reading through the beginning of this thread and got to about page 26 or so. I wish that tommythunders guy was still around because he had a lot of good advice and seemed very knowledgeable.

I actually just ordered creatine based on a suggestion he made three years ago.

I start working midnights this week, and I plan on going to the gym in the middle of my work shift. So I'll be hitting the base gym around 2 AM which is going to be awesome because it will be dead. The good thing with midnights is that our work is slower, and myself and the other guy are cool with taking gym breaks each night. Heck, our one boss actively encouraged us to go for an hour when I was working afternoons, though I preferred going after work because of there were less people.

8. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

I've never really paid attention to my triceps, but a coworker convinced me to start trying overhead extensions. Man, just after a couple fairly low weight workouts, I can feel a difference.

I have a 20lb kettlebell at home that I've used a couple times to do single arm extensions, and then at the gym recently, I used a 45lb dumbbell with both hands behind my head.

Looking forward to seeing if a few more workouts like that will improve my bench. I'm stuck at a low 135-140...

9. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Question about balance. I usually do exercises that use whole body, or at least both arms or both legs at the same time. With doing kettlebell tricep extensions, I noticed that it's a lot easier with my left arm. Like barely notice it with 20lbs, but it's a bit of a struggle with my right arm, and I notice some elbow strain.

Doesn't make sense, since I'm right handed. Should I focus on just my right arm until it gets stronger? Or just work both evenly and they'll even out eventually?

10. matthew bear

I did another Spartan this Saturday in Portland, had a blast! I'm now 11 weeks out from the spartan "beast" which is the half marathon length super bad idea :laugh2: I have a lot of work to do for that one! But two outta three... I'm fixing to finish this thing!

11. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

Let's go skiing they said, it'll be fun they said. One and a half years and three surgeries later, im back to running. Went better than expected. 5km.
    My legs are scary thin. I had no idea what 1,5 years of not doing sports or physical activity would do to the muscles in ones leg. They're gone! My legs look like those of an anorexic person. I've decided to run a 15km event in November. Need to start training, asap!

12. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Never really paid too much attention to my diet, and while eating enough to build muscle, haven't been losing any of the fat I've built around my belly.

Would like to be under 170 again before staring to bulk again, so I started following the IIFYM concept. Already lost 4 pounds in 4 days, but I'm struggling to keep within my carbs. On rest days I get 71g, but lifting days 189g. I'm fine on those days. Still hitting the overall calories, but shorting protein too much.

Going to keep at it though for another week, and then I should be at a point to calculate my macros for bulking.

13. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Ordered a pair of lifting straps: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00COY99U2/[/ame]

Used them for the first time today, and it makes a huge difference! Previous deadlift PR was 265, and I struggled to get it up and down before it slipped. Today, I got 285! And that was with me not having much energy at the beginning of my workout.

Also, I think I forgot to mention that I ran my first 5K a few weeks ago. Got 36 minutes. Was hoping for 30, but was still happy with 36.

14. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I've dropped 12 lbs since August!

15. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

Hit 365 on deadlifts today (most I did was 315 a while ago). I feel fine now, but I really hope I don't regret it tomorrow!

16. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

If you don't you should've went for more. Yarrrrr!

17. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

I had a really nasty ab strain two years ago (took me 10 months to feel normal) so I get worried about my abs every time I do deadlifts and squats especially (you'd think I would worry more about my lower back!).

18. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Nice! I went in this morning and did a super quick workout. Didn't feel full strength, since I was still half asleep. So I stopped at 255, which I'd normally get only 1 rep, but with the straps, I got 5 or 6.

19. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Got 305 on a rackpull a couple days ago. I'm going to start incorporating rackpulls and deficit deadlifts to try to help boost my regular deadlifts. I've been reading about a lot of people who do that.

Going to try 155 deficits for a while (usually just stick with 135 for those) and just see how high I can go with rackpulls.

20. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Got a 325 rackpull.