90 Day Fitness Thread: Day 1!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by PNB92, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Dr. Pain

Dr. Pain Senior Member

I feel like I'm doing the opposite to a lot here by firing my metabolism to lean up. Got to eat 3200 calories (lots of vege's), overload weight training 3 days a week, intense cardio twice a week. It's about building lean muscle mass to burn body fat.

I can only have high energy carb in a pre and post workout protein drink, and then in two meals afterwards and there's a cut off point for high energy carbs. The reps drop every 3 weeks but the weight goes up. I only do 2 sets of 10 to 12 reps for 3 weeks, then it's 8 to 10 but up the weight. Rest for the 13th week. I want to vomit during cardio at times. I've doubled some of my lifts within a year doing this. But the fat burn is such an easy thing to upset by eating the wrong food and only small amounts will do it.

Seen some amazing results in other people doing it and it is fuelling me along. Some of the girls look incredible and tri-athletes are using this too.

1 person likes this.
  2. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Deadlifted and squatted up to my max on both today. Not going to be able to walk tomorrow...

1 person likes this.
  3. Dr. Pain

Dr. Pain Senior Member

I found any incline hell after a good leg day in the past! :D

1 person likes this.
  4. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Climbing stairs is never bad for me after legs. Hurts, but not bad. I can deal with the pain, because I have a high pain tolerance. It's the jello-legs that kill me walking down stairs. Every step, I think they're just going to give out and send me tumbling...

1 person likes this.
  5. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

Today was bench day.. and dips. Ouch.

1 person likes this.
  6. WholeLottaIzzy

WholeLottaIzzy Senior Member

Had a **** few weeks. Went a full week without going to the gym and five days without eating a single thing. A lot of stress as the moment and it's caused me to lose half a stone. Pretty disappointing but I've gone to the gym four times this week already and am quite likely going tomorrow too. It's hard eating more again but I'm getting used to it again. I've definitely made some visible gains (even to other people) since I got more serious on November. Still, not as much as I would of expected by now but that's because of a lack of diet, I assume.

1 person likes this.
  7. VerbalPuke

VerbalPuke Senior Member

I utilized the memorial weekend as a way to get back in the swing of being a full-time exercise guy. I feel like I know what works for me as far as a routine goes, but I can't help but have poor dietary habits.

I don't eat crap constantly, it's little things like some toast here, honey in my tea, some pizza on the weekend, or beer. Oh and work doesn't help, I have no will power for the burger burns, people bringing in cookies, etc.

Anyway, I did legs on Saturday and they still hate me. Oh well. Get over it legs, get used to it.

I've been doing the weight training, then a day of running in between that whenever, usually twice a week. I'm wondering if I should start throwing the run in after lifting? I like running and my legs have been holding up much better lately.

I have this gut that I just despise and want to get rid of it.

1 person likes this.
  8. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

You need to get back on the horse my man. Strong body, strong mind. Hot chicks at gym. Put things down and pick them up. You will feel better.

2 people like this.
  9. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Something I think is interesting that I noticed recently...

I wear a fitness tracker (Fitbit Surge), but I have no delusions that these things are accurate when it comes to heart rate or calories burned. I do use it for monitoring activity through the calories it says I burned though. If I go to the gym, and it says that I burned 50 calories during my workout, and then the next time it says 100, while I don't believe that either of those are necessarily accurate, I can at least assume that the one that said 100 was a better workout in general.

So, I've been looking at the averages over the past several months and noticed that every single month was higher than the last. I mostly attribute that to the psychological effects of using a fitness tracker. Say last month I averaged X calories per day, so I'll set that as my daily goal for the next month, and then exceed it, because each day I would try to meet it, and on days with a good workout, or some heavy yard work, I would more than exceed it.

The interesting thing is that it shows higher numbers than the previous month even on days that I don't do anything extra physical. I've read before that the more muscle you build, the more active your muscles are throughout normal daily activities. That seems to match up with what I'm seeing.

1 person likes this.
  10. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Ok confession time...

I am still a fat fattie. I still weigh 200 lbs. I still struggle with beer. I have been following the plant based version of the S.A.D (standard american diet) which has actually been slightly better, but still not even close to great. I have been working overtime for almost a year straight at a high stress job, coming home and drinking...not lifting weights, not doing much of anything but existing unfortunately.

However I did finish my first spartan race in April, which was very eye opening to me. I found something inside myself that I thought had long ago died. I ran a super (9 mile) race in a dad bod :laugh2: and it was AWESOME! I remembered how it felt to breathe deep and push hard to accomplish a goal. I couldn't stand to be at my job after that, because I wasn't done living yet! So, I am now gainfully unemployed with a strategy to gain back my health and vigor. I have signed up for the 2 remaining races in the spartan catalogue (sprint in August and a beast in October) and have about 40lbs to lose by October...20 weeks, 40 lbs. I will have accomplished the spartan trifecta in 6 months.

I do plan to share my journey here with you guys, as well as start uploading youtube vids to track my progress. should be fun!

I'll check in later with my workout, as well as diet stuff... I haven't yet eaten or done any exercise, due to following a Intermittent fasting protocol.

2 people like this.
  11. matthew bear

Good morning! started the day of with a 2 mile run,just to get the blood pumping.

Yesterday was a full body lifting session with presses, pulls, squats, and heavy swings, all kettle bell based. I used my 24kg for presses and squats, 32kg for rows and swings. I also drank 3 growlers of water...thats a gallon and a half, which I found to be quite refreshing as I don't usually drink water anymore. It's the most water I've ever had in a day i think, which is kinda sad.

Todays lifting session will depend on how I'm feeling muscle wise. it might be more of a conditioning workout, focused on kettle bell swings and snatches with one bell, as opposed to the double work from yesterday. I'm toying with the idea of trying the 10,000 swing challenge sometime before I hit october.

the challenge:

this article was written by Dan John over at T Nation

The-10_000-swing-kettlebell-workout
    Here's what you need to know...

Challenge yourself with four weeks of intensive kettlebell swinging to test your grit and improve body composition.
    Every lifter who was tested after this challenge increased lean muscle mass and conditioning.
    After four weeks, you will have done 10,000 kettlebell swings dispersed throughout 20 workouts. You'll do 500 swings per workout.
    Between sets of kettlebell swings, do one of the following: chin-ups, goblet squats, dips, or overhead presses.
    Master your kettlebell swing form. It's not a squat. It's a hip hinge and a hip snap. Your arms should not travel above your shoulders.
    Make Progress or You'll Regress

Without challenges, the human body will soften. We thrive when we push our boundaries, reach goals, and blast personal records. We perform better, we look better, and we feel alive.

Get this straight: you're either progressing or regressing. There is no maintenance phase. Moderation in training can easily turn into stagnation. And moderation is for sissies. So if we want to improve, we have to seek out new challenges, struggle, and win.

The 10,000 Swing Kettlebell Workout is just such a challenge. And it will rapidly transform your body in only four weeks.

Battle-Tested Results

I don't write training programs by reading textbooks and studies. I create them in the field, deep in the trenches with real athletes and people whose lives literally depend on their physical abilities.

To create and refine this program, myself and 18 other coaches and athletes met several days every week to put it to the test. Here's what we experienced:

Everyone got leaner, dropping a waist size or two, in 20 workouts.
    Every coach or athlete made visual muscular improvements in their physiques, adding lean body mass.
    Every lifter increased his grip strength and greatly increased work capacity and athletic conditioning. They could all train longer and harder when they went back to their normal training programs.
    After the program, every lifter saw a noted improvement in his core lifts. PR's fell like dominos. Full-body strength and power shot through the roof.
    Abs were more visible. Glute strength was tremendously better. The abs and glutes "discovered" how to work again, leading to athletic improvements in sport and in the weight room.
    Heavy Kettlebell Swing
    Program Overview

In four or five weeks, you're going to perform 10,000 proper kettlebell swings. These will be split among 20 workouts. You'll do 500 swings per workout.

Between sets of swings, you'll perform low-volume, basic strength exercises. You will train 4-5 days per week. Train 2 days on, 1 day off, and repeat. Men will use a 24kg kettlebell (53 pounds). Women will use 16kg (35 pounds).

This is a stand-alone program. If you feel you're able to do a second workout in the same day, then you are "underbelled" – you're either not going heavy enough or not training with maximal effort.

The Swings: Clusters, Sets, and Reps

Use an undulating rep scheme to reach 500 total reps per workout:

Set 1: 10 reps
    Set 2: 15 reps
    Set 3: 25 reps
    Set 4: 50 reps

You've now completed 100 reps or one cluster. Repeat the cluster 4 more times for a total of 500 swings. Between sets, experienced lifters will add a low-volume strength movement.

The Strength Movements

Use a strength movement with low volume between sets of swings. The best exercises are:

1. Press (barbell overhead press or one-arm press)
    2. Dip
    3. Goblet Squat
    4. Chin-up

Other acceptable choices: front squat, pistol squat, handstand push-up, wide-grip loaded pull-up, and the muscle-up. Use a 1-2-3 rep scheme for most movements. Here's an example using the press:

10 Swings
    Press 1 rep
    15 Swings
    Press 2 reps
    25 Swings
    Press 3 reps
    50 Swings
    Rest 30 - 60 seconds

For the 1-2-3 lifts, use your five rep max weight.
    For the dip, you'll need more reps. Use a 2-3-5 rep scheme.
    If you choose to do the program 5 days per week, on one of those days you'll only do the swings. Leave out the strength work between rounds. If you train 4 days per week, you'll use the strength movements every workout.
    You may use a different strength movement every workout, rotating between the press, dip, goblet squat, and chin-up. I also like using two days of chin-ups and two days of presses.
    Remember, choose only one strength movement per workout.
    Rest Periods

After each round of 10, 15, and 25 reps, rest 30-60 seconds. The first cluster will be easy and you can jam through it. In the later clusters, you'll need the full 60 seconds or more for grip strength recovery.

After each set of 50, rest will extend to 3 minutes or more. During this post-50 rest period, perform a "corrective." Stretch anything that needs it, like the hip flexors. Do a mobility movement of choice.

Progression

Time your workouts. Each week you should be getting faster. Your time in workout #20 should clobber your time in workout #1. For the strength lifts, the goal is to use a weight that's challenging on the first workout and easy by the last workout.

Here's what the program will look like for most lifters:

Training Lab Kettlebell Swing
    Sample Program

Day 1

10 Swings
    Press 1 rep
    15 Swings
    Press 2 reps
    25 Swings
    Press 3 reps
    50 Swings
    Rest 30-60 seconds; repeat 4 more times.

By the end of the workout, you'll have completed 500 swings and 30 presses.

Day 2

10 Swings
    Dip 2 reps
    15 Swings
    Dip 3 reps
    25 Swings
    Dip 5 reps
    50 Swings

By the end of the workout, you'll have completed 500 swings and 50 dips. Remember, for dips you're using a 2-3-5 rep scheme, not 1-2-3 as you do in other lifts.

Day 3: Off

Day 4

10 Swings
    Goblet Squat 1 rep
    15 Swings
    Goblet Squat 2 reps
    25 Swings
    Goblet Squat 3 reps
    50 Swings

By the end of the workout, you'll have completed 500 swings and 30 goblet squats.

Day 5

10 Swings
    Chin-up 1 rep
    15 Swings
    Chin-up 2 reps
    25 Swings
    Chin-up 3 reps
    50 Swings

By the end of the workout, you'll have completed 500 swings and 30 chin-ups.

Day 6: Off

Day 7: Off or begin the cycle again.

If you begin the cycle again because you want to use the program 5 days per week, remember to do only the swings during one workout per week.

Top of Kettlebell Swing
    Swing Technique

The swing is a hip hinge. Basically the position you take in a standing long jump. Look for maximum hip bend and minimal knee bend. It is not a squat.

Begin in the "Silverback gorilla" position. Slide the kettlebell back a bit, and vigorously "hike" the bell at your zipper. Hinge deeply and let the forearms slide through the thighs. Then, snap up to a vertical plank position.

There is no start or finish to a correct swing. The vertical plank is a moment to grab the 'bell and toss it back to the zipper. The hinge causes a rebound and we pop back to the plank.

Insure the following: glutes clenched, lats connected to the shoulders, arms snapped directly in front of the body. Do not let the kettlebell float much higher – grab it and toss it back to your zipper. The kettlebell should not be brought overhead.

The swing should be aggressive, explosive, and attacked with a high tempo.

Your Next Move

First, congratulate yourself for actually finishing a program. That's rare in today's world.

You are now in extraordinarily better shape than you were four or five weeks ago. Your training should be poised to take off. I recommend you put these newfound abilities to work with a basic strength template, such as Jim Wender's 5/3/1.

2 people like this.
  12. matthew bear

Good morning! another 2 miles first thing in the morning, better than coffee :thumb:

today I'm going to do a ton of volume on my lifts, and take tomorrow off, and Sunday I'll run some more. We sometimes do Sunday fun day run day, which is not time sensitive(getting to work), allowing us to get more distance and push harder.

So far I'm on track, been keeping the diet in check and staying motivated with the lifts and running. I can achieve this goal! I'm after the lean and mean look, with athleticism to match.

2 people like this.
  13. matthew bear

...And I ran, I ran so far away...

Yes another run in the AM, I sound like a broken record :laugh2:

Gonna hit the weights in a couple minutes, before it gets hot as hell outside. 102 today :noway:

Heavy bell workout, followed by breakfast green juice protein shake.

2 people like this.
  14. VerbalPuke

VerbalPuke Senior Member

Yeah, I found out that even running in the early AM out here is too hot. So since I work 3-11 pm I do my run at night. On Monday I finally went over five miles, my longest run yet.

Tonight is chest and triceps after work. The gym here on base is 24 hours now and it is dead at night, love it.

2 people like this.
  15. matthew bear

I'm not gonna tell you every time I ran, I promise!

Anyway today we did sprint intervals instead of the steady jogging, it was good times.

Gonna do some hill climbs on the dirt bike today, which is quite a workout for me (I suck at it and have to carry my damn bike up most hills lol) so I'll be getting some bonus cardio today :thumb:

16. danohat

danohat Senior Member

Itching to get back to my lifting routine after my brutal busy work season. Waiting for my left foot, right knee, right lower back and my cold to heal.

17. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

In beast mode. Still lifting and working with my hands. Actually lost weight due to the activity. Eating enough is a constant problem.

18. matthew bear

Man, I finally had **** going the right way...

Today, as I was crouching down to reach my garden bed, some **** snapped in my quad.

Now I can't get off the couch.

I guess I ran a little too far too fast :sadwave:

Ah well, I can still keep the diet in check i suppose...

19. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

Snapped?

I'm gonna ask you what nearly every football coach I ever had asked me when something like this happened: "Are you hurt or are you injured? Because you can play if you're hurt.....":laugh2:

Seriously though, snapped?

That sounds, sadly, like a muscle tear. I tore my hamstring. It was awful. The rehab was brutal.

1 person likes this.
  20. matthew bear

Naw man, it was a pull.

I'm not 100% or anything but I'm OK... I was a bit distraught when I posted.

so for now it's primarily machines, not a lot of free weights or compound movements until this is healed up proper. You can always find a way to stay the course when something comes up :thumb:

And if you are a fat fattie like me, diet is #1 in the game... stick to it no matter what life throws at you.