90 Day Fitness Thread: Day 1!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by PNB92, Jun 5, 2013.

1. PNB92

PNB92 Senior Member

this is why I like ON. no bullshit, just the good stuff

1 person likes this.
  2. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

I think that you're smarter than this.

3. Chicago John

Chicago John Senior Member

I think you didn't get the joke :thumb:

3 people like this.
  4. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

or you didn't get mine

(I'm sure that TT knows that everyone buys their Wooly Mammoth steaks at the store now.)

2 people like this.
  5. jfwund

jfwund Senior Member

Alright, I don't have pictures, but the basic fact is I got sick for about 4 months starting in January, and then broke a rib in April. Just exercised yesterday for the first time since before last Christmas, and I'm hurting today (after a really light workout!).

My last weigh-in was 197 lbs (I'm 5'10"). I need to lose somewhere in the region of 20-25 lbs. Ideally I'd be under 175 but I'll be happy with hitting 180. We'll see if that happens. With work and a baby, it will be tough. Ultimately, the number is less important than my health.

I'm logging my meals and eating less sugar, and trying to eat more veggies. I'm starting an A/B full-body lifting routine on MWF, and trying to do some light cardio a couple of times a week. I'm really out of shape, but I'm hoping to be able to stick with my exercise and nutrition routine through the summer, and hopefully by the start of next semester (in August), I'll be down a few pounds and feeling much better!

1 person likes this.
  6. PNB92

PNB92 Senior Member

just finished leg day. Damn near passed out on the leg press. Since I stopped hockey and started boxing, my 6 rep max on the leg press has dropped from 900 lbs to 780 lbs. I'm pretty bummed about it. It wasn't all that impressive to start with :(

Leg Day: The hardest of all days, and you will hate every minute of it, but nobody wants to look like this:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. six-string

six-string Senior Member

another day for me.
    did my 10 km on the treadmill this time.
    i tore my ankle (achilles tendon) about a month ago out on the road
    so i've been working my way on the treadmill cause it is less impact and pain.
    its getting better.

1 person likes this.
  8. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Torn tendon a month ago, and you're able to do a 10k?

Sounds very painful. Good luck on the recovery!

9. PNB92

PNB92 Senior Member

also, for your post workout nutrition needs:

[​IMG]

1 scoop whey, 1 scoop casein, oats, and omega 3 sugar free peanut butter.

it's incredible, try it.

10. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Microtearing? Not severed I expect. I had a similar injury.

11. TOMMYTHUNDERS

TOMMYTHUNDERS Senior Member

prepare to get more bummed:
    you have never leg pressed 780 or 900 pounds.
    Bodybuilding.com - Squats Vs. Leg Press!

leg press gives a mechanical advantage since you are not pushing the weight straight up against gravity, but rather on an angle. it also robs you of the benefits to your back and core that squats gives. my opinion is that leg press is a waste of time and exclusively for twerps who aren't very strong yet want to stack a bunch of 45s on a bar. another big offender: shrugs. shrugs (WHEN DONE PROPERLY!) are a great exercise. the problem is that so few people do it properly. most guys are content to throw a few plates on the bar and then brag about what they shrugged, much like leg press, no one is impressed. forget the leg press, do squats, dead lifts, power cleans, straight leg dead lifts, hack squats.... or any combo of those.

12. SLewis

SLewis Senior Member

Checking in

Today was a push day for me and I tried TT's recommended workout quoted above. I feel really good.

A few months ago I sat down at the bench for the first time. I tried to lift 125lbs and once I got the weight down, I could not lift it off my chest without help. That situation is what made me realize that I had neglected myself in the strength department for far too long. Today I tried to lift that same 125lbs and I got through the barbell bench routine listed above with a lot of effort. I know I still have a long ways to go, but today I recognized progress, and I am only looking forward to the future.

Hope everyone else is doing fine as well.

2 people like this.
  13. Jim

Jim Banned

Tons of the football goons at my school go to the weight room and just curl. All. Day.

I can't see much actual benefit in that... not only is there a point that curling becomes less effective, but it doesn't burn as many calories as aerobics.

That's why I always applaud the old guys that go jogging with weights. Two birds with one stone.

14. Flying_Milkman

Flying_Milkman Senior Member

Damn. Dr is ordering me to PT for a shoulder issue. Suggestions on staying in shape while not putting much strain on my shoulder?

2 people like this.
  15. barricwiley

barricwiley Senior Member

That's why I always applaud the old guys that go jogging with weights. Two birds with one stone.

This could bring problems to the joint areas if not careful.
    I'm an old guy and keep my stones separated.:)

16. Jim

Jim Banned

Ooh! Hadn't thought about that. Doesn't sound too fun!

17. six-string

six-string Senior Member

yeah i come from a long line of stubborn scotsmen who don't let a little thing like that get in the way.
    i put my ankle up on a bag of frozen peas and have a beer after running.
    it's not so bad.

years ago when i was running marathon distances (26.2 miles) i put up with all kinds of aches and pains. you get to the point you either ignore it or give up. i'm not ready to give up.

(btw i did 20 minutes of weights and another 10k just before i wrote this.)

18. PNB92

PNB92 Senior Member

I do squats, too. What I can lift just isn't impressive enough to share with MLP :laugh2:

19. PNB92

PNB92 Senior Member

Okay everybody, iiiiiiit's officially one week. time for your 1 week progress check in. Don't expect much, its only 1 week, but if you've been workin hard, you're gonna have a little something to show for it.

After 1 week, I now look like this:

[​IMG]

Pretty much exactly the same, maybe a little rounder in the shoulder, a little more definition in the triceps, maybe a little more definition in the forearms. Physically, you can't see a big change, but I can FEEL a big change. 4 months off for school, and now I'm hitting the weights again hard, and in the ring every 3 days, and you better believe I feel it. Whole body is good and sore. I'm also down 2 pounds, which is not good, I'm trying to go up in weight.

Also, today was a little bit different. Its P90x rest day, but that doesn't mean is PNB92 rest day. I was supposed do punching bag and speed bag training with my trainer, but he had to cancel, so I went with my cousin to this place called M-1 Thai Boxing in woodbridge, where he trains.

this is what I looked like when I got home from 2 hours in that gym:

[​IMG]

unless you look at LEAST that tired after the gym, you weren't working out hard enough! (also yes, I did drive home shirtless with a towel around my shoulders, and with my lifting gloves still on. I was so exhausted I forgot to take them off)

how are you 1 week results looking?

EDIT: also, anyone throw up after a workout yet? I very nearly did during chest and back day. A lot of people feel a sense of shame if they throw up when they work out. you should look at that as a mark of pride. It means you're a monster, a psycho. you worked out till you puked. That's somethin' to be ****in' proud of in my eyes.

20. So What

So What Senior Member

I ate some bran cereal today.

Getting ready to really take this serious.......

1 person likes this.