90 Day Fitness Thread: Day 1!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by PNB92, Jun 5, 2013.

1. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

Interesting... I dig it. Are there any home exercises that could satisfy the criteria? The only thing keeping me out of the gym right now is money, but I feel like I could make use of some weights in a bad way.

1 person likes this.
  2. your idol

your idol Senior Member

Yeah esentially its now an LA Fitness in here... Theyre installing glory holes as we speak

7 people like this.
  3. txbruno

txbruno Senior Member

I am planning on upping the workouts as I progress, I am starting slowly to lose some bulk, as the weight comes off I plan to increase the breadth and intensity of my exercise program. I have used this program in the past, lost 40 pounds was at 230#, then I was involved in a pretty serious car accident that impacted my fitness routines.

4. TOMMYTHUNDERS

TOMMYTHUNDERS Senior Member

the fact of the matter is that working against body weight will only get you so far. bands can help get you pointed in the right direction:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain-Products-Resistance-Exercise/dp/7245456313/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370531663&sr=8-1&keywords=exercise+bands]Amazon.com: Black Mountain Products Resistance Band Set with Door Anchor, Ankle Strap, Exercise Chart, and Resistance Band Carrying Case: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

eventually you will need weights though.

3 people like this.
  5. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

This is a good one!
    "What is the point of working out forever if it won't help you lift a car off your trapped baby? The day someone answers that question to my satisfaction is the day Paul Ryan is elected president of the United States (never)."

I can understand what's being said there but for someone who has no means (money, proximity, time or any other reason) of getting to the gym to workout with weights, who has no space to put heavy equipment, wouldn't a program like P90X be a good start to get to a certain point, not necessarily P90X picture perfect but enough to maybe get to something else after? Or "ten minute trainer" at $80.00? Or a used program from someone who couldn't even stick with it!

If popping a dvd into the player makes it easy for you to focus and exercise, how bad can it be?
    Once you get that "basic" shape, other alternatives would seem easier.
    What do you think?

6. SLewis

SLewis Senior Member

Weight: 150
    Height: 5'9"
    Body Fat: probably 17%

As you can probably tell from my stats, I am "skinny fat." I've been working out for three months already and have made some progress towards my long term goal of gaining muscle mass. This 90 days will be a part of my 1 year plan and hope to see even more progress as these 90 days continue.

At the end of the 90 days I'd like to weigh about 10lbs heavier, and I'd like to be at least benching 150 by the time I head back to school. I know that's not much but heck, I started benching 75 just three months ago, and am now at 110, so I have definitely made some progress.

Program: weight training 4 days a week with a push, pull, and leg split.

No pictures at the moment.

7. TOMMYTHUNDERS

i think you're asking me if an "ok" workout is better than no workout. it is. but it'll only take you so far.

4 people like this.
  8. TOMMYTHUNDERS

what's your push day looking like? describe your bench routine in detail. 75 to 110 is not much in 3 months.

1 person likes this.
  9. SLewis

SLewis Senior Member

Flat Barbell Bench - 4 sets of 6 reps
    Dumbbell Flys - 4x8
    Dumbbell shoulder press - 3x8
    Dumbbell side raises - 3x8
    Tricep extensions - 3x8

I will admit that at first I wasn't putting as much effort as I could have, an that probably had something to do with my slow progress. I feel like I am on track now, but if you had any tips or advice, I'd appreciate the help.

10. TOMMYTHUNDERS

first thing i'd suggest is to move your shoulder day to your leg day. on push day i'd keep it chest and triceps. otherwise your militaries will suffer, and that's an exercise you wanna go heavy on. also, 1 tricep exercise isn't gonna cut it. your triceps make up 2/3 of your arms muscle mass and are key in bench press performance. let's add more.

i always pyramid my sets. if you're doing 4 sets of 6 then you aren't pushing yourself hard on your early sets. every set should be the max of your capabilities (i.e. if you're doing a set of 6 then your 6th rep should be the last you can possibly manage to squeak out). if you're doing 4 sets of the same reps you aren't working hard enough. also start doing incline bench, it's a great exercise, some argue better than flat bench. don't do decline bench. decline bench is for posers. flys are kinda borderline (imo, of course), it's not a power workout and won't really help you add a lot of strength. you can do them if you like them, but use them as a burn-out. triceps extensions are nice, but your workout needs to include good, powerful compound movements where muscles stabilize the movement. the best tricep exercise you can do is skull crushers. base your tricep exercise off of this. this is how i'd restructure:

flat bench: 2 warm up sets of 10 each (first set ~1/3 of max, second set ~1/2 of max), then 8, 6, 4, 2, 1. Each set should be to failure.
    incline bench (no warm-up, your chest and triceps should be plenty warm): 8, 6, 4, and a negative if you have someone you trust spotting you
    Flys: 1 set to failure, shoot for >20 reps, use a weight you can do this with. don't stop until you can't do any more.
    skull crushers: 10, 8, 6 after your last rep on the set of 6 move it over your chest and bench it out until failure.
    cable pushdowns: do a drop set over hand, start with a weight where you can barely do 10, then drop a couple plates and do 10 more, drop a couple plates and do 10 more, etc. until the stack is finished. there is no resting in a drop set, go as quick as possible when changing the weights. shoot to get at least 5 drops, space your drops accordingly. then take a rest and reverse your grip and do the same thing again.
    dips: 1 set to failure, shoot for >20 reps. if you can't do 20 reps, do the assisted dip until you get strong enough.

if you do this and you do this right, and to failure, i guarantee you'll see gains.

3 people like this.
  11. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

That's something I commented to my wife about. I used to lift free weights heavily (pun intended). At one point I maxed out bench at 345lbs.

After doing three days of the circuit training/body resistance workouts, I told her there's no way you can look like the guys in the video without doing free weights. There's just not enough resistance in the program to add substantial muscle mass.

All that being said, I really do like the workout. I'm 38 with kids. The convenience of getting up in the morning and working out in the basement is invaluable. I'm also not looking to add large amounts of muscle mass at my age. I just want to be healthier. Especially because I sit behind a PC all day.

It all goes back to what your goals are.

2 people like this.
  12. SLewis

SLewis Senior Member

Thanks Tommy.
    I'm glad we've got some experienced guys on the board that can give solid advice.
    I had a look over at the body building forum but that seems like one big dick gazin' contest.

2 people like this.
  13. TOMMYTHUNDERS

dude, those forums are a joke. 99% beginners who repeat to each other the newest miracle workout from some trash muscle magazine.

1 person likes this.
  14. PNB92

PNB92 Senior Member

this.

I'm 22 years old. If I wasn't thin, I'd be pretty concerned.

aint no shame in being a bit out of shape around 40. just means you need to work a little harder than someone who's younger. That's right up half of your alleys anyways :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  15. PNB92

PNB92 Senior Member

here's what I've learned about p90x, 4 days in.

It's a guide, not a gospel. I completely skip Plyometrics X, because its bullshit. its not real plyometrics, its just jumping around in your living room like a jackass. I take that day, throw it out, and sub in leg-day instead.

The benefit to P90x is that its going to get absolute beginners in phenomenal shape, so long as they stick with it. Why? because its quite intense, well structured, and promotes nutrition and diet as being as important as the workout. plus, something is better than nothing.

That, I like.

If you're already in really ripped shape, p90x wont do anything for you, its just more of what you've already been doing. Its quite intense if you push yourself though. I'm finding it at about moderate difficulty right now. I'll get through it no problem, but someone who's out of shape is gonna have some trouble.

16. FrankieOliver

FrankieOliver Senior Member

I completely skip P90X because the dude doesn't stfu...essentially, I find the pace rather slow. Some like it.

I've been doing Insanity: Max Interval Training. At almost 50, this has really worked for me.

17. TOMMYTHUNDERS

with p90x you will hit a wall. it seems like a lot of dudes here are getting into this so they will have a better physical appearance. chances are when most people see you, you have a shirt on. if you hit some legitimate weights women will get palpitations from the sight of you even if you have a sweater on. you don't wanna look like a scrawny ding dong, you wanna look like you could protect her and carry her back to your cave and then impregnate her with some strong children and supply a winter's worth of wooly mammoth steaks... because that's what's hard-wired into her brain.

7 people like this.
  18. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

TT... what you think about creatine.... I just started taking it and I definitely felt stronger from day 1. I could lift more weight and more reps.

Some guys at the gym told me my new found strength is purely psychological, some guys said it only increases water in the muscle, and some guys swear by it.

Your thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  19. TOMMYTHUNDERS

I can confirm that you are not experiencing a placebo effect. Creatine is legit and has been proven effective in clinical testing. As a matter of fact, in my opinion it is the only truly legit supplement, outside of protein. It will make you retain a little water and you will gain weight and look a little puffier, but it's the real deal. As with anything you put in your body make sure you read any potential side effects. The only established one with creatine is a potential for dehydration. There may be others, but they haven't been sufficiently documented, this is notable since creatine has been in use since the 1970s. Also notable: the effect you experience is directly related to your meat consumption since meat has creatine in it. So a vegetarian will find a bigger boost than a carnivore. For vegetarians it also enhances cognitive performance.

5 people like this.
  20. 05jrock

05jrock Senior Member

Better workout if you ride a bmx lowrider

3 people like this.